forum

Advice on slowing down / stop over streaming?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sunsepter
Yo, so before the typical, "play more" answer yeah I know I say it too. I'm curious on what I should try and focus on. I've recently ran into the issue of me going too fast for the maps, and over streaming and just getting ahead of the song in jump sections. I didn't have this issue until recently, and it's kind of blue balling me.

So I'm kind of curious what some of you may recommend in terms of what to practice to break my bad habits and refocus on my acc / rhythm. I was thinking of going back down to more 3* maps with slower BPM and retraining my way up, but I was also considering just making myself learn HD on maps around my current bpm range.

What do you think I should try?
Myke B
If you're consistently going too fast or too slow, you probably aren't actually listening/understanding the rhythm. My response would be the same to someone who wanted to work on acc. Play slower songs if you have to, but try really going for as high acc as possible until you understand how clicking to the beat works. It sounds dumb because that's what you've been doing from the start, but you've been able to skate by, by just being good enough to beat the song. the faster/harder songs you play, the more obvious itll be that you really need to click to the beat, or else if you get off rhythm, you'll probably just fail.
Topic Starter
Sunsepter
Cheers for the response. Pretty much the same as I see it then, which is good to know. Yeah I've always had some issues sticking with the rhythm honestly, so it's not surprising that I've hit a wall essentially where I have to learn it better. Outside of the fundamentally I feel fine but it's a huge flaw. I'll definitely see how I do after spending some time on slower stuff focusing heavily on the rhythm, I may try to use HD more to that end as well.
StephOsu
if you can't do x and you want to learn how to, you need to actually play more of x
that's how this game works
remember this
If you want to fix problem x, play more stuffs that contains problem x, and if they don't exist, then play less
I Give Up
Taking a few days break will naturally lower your speed. That's the brain-dead way to solve your over-streaming problem.

I think it is better to just practise more slow bpm till you get used to it.
Myke B

Emilia-tan wrote:

Cheers for the response. Pretty much the same as I see it then, which is good to know. Yeah I've always had some issues sticking with the rhythm honestly, so it's not surprising that I've hit a wall essentially where I have to learn it better. Outside of the fundamentally I feel fine but it's a huge flaw. I'll definitely see how I do after spending some time on slower stuff focusing heavily on the rhythm, I may try to use HD more to that end as well.
No worries. People wanna give the "play more response" which is correct, but I think they make sure they always sneak that in to up their post count lol. You can break this down into pieces and focus on specific parts, and some mods do help with certain pieces. I think that, because you asked about mods and the best way to practice X part, that there are proper responses other than just "play more".
Topic Starter
Sunsepter

Myke B wrote:

Emilia-tan wrote:

No worries. People wanna give the "play more response" which is correct, but I think they make sure they always sneak that in to up their post count lol. You can break this down into pieces and focus on specific parts, and some mods do help with certain pieces. I think that, because you asked about mods and the best way to practice X part, that there are proper responses other than just "play more".

Yeah I agree. I'm pretty quick to jump the gun and say play more to new players and my mates as well as it really is pretty accurate but you're right. I've always had a structured way to practice in other games (former competitive CS player) so I always look for ways to focus on the specific weaknesses. Obviously brute forcing it with just playing more in general works, but that doesn't specifically fix the issues. Pretty glad you saw it the same as me on what I needed to focus on, second opinion is always nice. I'll definitely see how things progress soon and see if I can get past my issues. Thanks again mate.

Cheers for the rest of the responses as well, too lazy to quote and hit everything specifically though.
katielikespp18
I really hate the phrase '"play more".

If you practice something the wrong way then your results will come much more slower than if you were practicing it the right way.

You'll get better by playing more, but simply playing more may not be the most efficient way to improve.
Celine
Play variety of bpm and feel the rythm, also don't panic
You're probably not "overstreaming" but got used to mashing buttons everytime you see a pile of circles anyway