forum

Rings of Saturn - Lalassu Xul/Senseless Massacre

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kurai
If you have any complaint, I invite you to contact me via PM. Do not start a drama, thanks.
cyprianz5
wow
Topic Starter
[Nemesis]
>getting inspired by Mazzerin's map, trying to map something similar
people whining about similar styles
people blaming the BN for liking how the map is structured
people blaming the mapper for copying Mazzerin

Literally, none of you people even tried to compare my map with Mazzerin's.
Mordred
03:16:566 - mazzerin didn't miss a note here so he didn't copy
GoldenWolf
I am making a post, just wait a bit.
Topic Starter
[Nemesis]

GoldenWolf wrote:

a post whining about the similar styles, or an actual mod fixing some of the issues that the map has?
GoldenWolf
A post actually comparing the uncanny similarities between the two maps.
7ambda
wait wtf
Cheesecake

[Nemesis] wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

a post whining about the similar styles, or an actual mod fixing some of the issues that the map has?
you dont need to be so passive agressive to someone trying to help
Okoratu
@whoever else is looking at it if all you can do is memeing or shitposting on here keep out

im not warning twice
Topic Starter
[Nemesis]

Okorin wrote:

@whoever else is looking at it if all you can do is memeing or shitposting on here keep out

im not warning twice
thanks, Okorin.
Ancelysia
quick little thing (this isn't a joke I swear)

how come the kiai doesn't start at 03:07:512 but instead starts at 03:08:957? It looks a little off to me..
frukoyurdakul
Hello, I'd like to say some things about this map's timing and some structure. Since I'm not a STD mapper I can't know the STD mapping structure but I can still hear the sounds, and the points I'll mention are about this mainly.

[Timing]

02:10:627 - 02:39:071 - Those two sections are the same based on the melody. (For 2nd point) If you delete the middle red timing points on that spot, you will see it will fit the section. Those points you put on this kiai are excessive, it's simple 4/4 over there.

03:07:512 - About the timing, same goes on here, also you forgot to open the kiai like you did on 02:39:071 but i don't know if it's important for a STD map. If it is, add one here as well to maintain consistency.

[Purgatory]

Like I said, I don't know the main components about this map, so I will suggest adding or deleting notes by sounds of the song.

01:33:127 - I can hear a drum note 01:33:071 (5,6,7) - like this so I believe you can add one to a proper spot if there is one.

01:34:349 (4,4) - Those two don't have drum sounds. Deleting them will be good.

03:24:566 (4,4) - ^

03:51:235 (4,4) - ^

03:57:957 - I'm definitely sure that you are following drums and they are in 1/3, not 1/4. You can change it with a reversable 1/3 slider (don't know the definition on std mods but i'm talking about sliders with reverse arrow) or 1/3 four notes.

04:04:846 - ^

04:07:735 - This is also in 1/3, not 1/4.

I don't know if it helps you, but I've tried my best as a noob STD mapper, if you decline all of them I'll understand. However, the timing part that I've mentioned about is accurate I think. I didn't want to say these after it gets qualified, and I really like to see a RoS song ranked. The map looks smooth, but there can be some edit about them (I think) to improve this map even further. Good luck on the ranking way!
7ambda
bro

edit: wait, my download is too slow, not sure if there's a long slider at the end
_handholding

F1r3tar wrote:

bro

The webiste doesn't include drain time of the last object. Im guessing you know this applies to spinners but it also applies to sliders as well

[map]
00:49:725 (1,2,1,2) - I'm not a top player and I won't be playing this map but the perfect stack of 00:49:845 (2,2) feels like it could be misread

My biggest problem with the map are patterns like 00:55:965 (1,2,3). This is suppose to be a really intense map yet these patterns aer so underwhelming. I'm guessing it's suppose to create a nice break in between the streams but it's just too meh for a map of this high SR. Both the rhythm and spacing is underwhelming when I feel like it should be "at least" 1 or the other. imho I feel like you should up the spacing of these patterns or use a rhythm with increased desnity like this https://snag.gy/BaiJZ1.jpg
[]
PS this isn't part of our m4m, I just came to look at it after I saw Kurai bubble it

frukoyurdakul wrote:

Hello, I'd like to say some things about this map's timing and some structure. Since I'm not a STD mapper I can't know the STD mapping structure but I can still hear the sounds
Just because a sound exists doesn't mean you have to map it. It's all about whether it's appropriate and fitting with the overall rhythm (which is why you have skipped sounds in lower diffs). Having said this I didn't actually look at your individual points but still felt the need to point this out, because you know, reasons
Turquoise-
flow is practically non-existent at this point

"high bpm" or "high sr" isn't an excuse to ignore fundamental mapping practices
Tonairu
i guess kurai got his pizza lmao
-Ran Yakumo-
04:07:513 (1) - is it just me or does this part and beyond sound offtimed ?
Yuii-
R.I.P. ohori : (

Hello there!

No kudos please, just giving you 3 tips. Consider this as a bubble pop even though I cannot pop anymore :(

1) Your overall hitsounding is seriously bad. For example, normal-hitnormal landing on slidertails is extremely annoying. Super annoying actually. There's no audible beat on many of the beats that land on tails from this 02:37:960 - timestamp onwards. Especially during the guitar parts, it makes it super tedious to play.

2) 04:18:179 - 10% volume means there's no feedback. And no feedback is no good. Is actually so "not good" that is not allowed by the RC, so you might wanna bump that volume all the way up to, at least, 35%~ volume.

3) Regarding hitsound, again, for guitar and calm sounds, you are better off using the "soft" sampleset instead of the "normal" one. The usage of the same sampleset throughout two different entire sections gives a very different feedback to the player that what you actually want to achieve.

(Also, 04:07:735 - yes, this is 1/3).

Good luck with further processing!
zigizigiefe
I must write something nonsense here before ranking :v
Secretpipe
Keep the thread clean and everybody will be safe !
Kurai

Yuii- wrote:

2) 04:18:179 - 10% volume means there's no feedback. And no feedback is no good. Is actually so "not good" that is not allowed by the RC, so you might wanna bump that volume all the way up to, at least, 35%~ volume.
It's actually audible. You can clearly hear a buzzing sound from the soft hitsound set.

Popping this for now until issues are solved.

Also, just reiterating Okorin's warning: only post here if you are willing to contribute positively, anything futile will be removed.
Topic Starter
[Nemesis]

Kurai wrote:

Yuii- wrote:

It's actually audible. You can clearly hear a buzzing sound from the soft hitsound set.

Popping this for now until issues are solved.
Good idea, I'll rework a couple of unnecessarily controversial patterns and I believe it's good to go again.
Zeptaxis
Stream starting at 04:18:179 (1) - seems very overmapped and unfitting for the background noise, considering it's not properly audible even at 25% speed
GranDSenpai
03:57:957 (1,2,3,4,5) - 1/3 instead of 1/4 pls
7ambda
  1. 01:59:515 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Low spacing and claps; is that intentional?
  2. 02:29:738 (1) - At this speed, it's hard to initially see where the head is. You should offset it a bit or Ctrl+g to make it more obvious.
  3. 03:08:957 (1,2) - What's with the large reduction in sv? I know these drums aren't as strong as 03:08:734 (2) - 03:10:400 (1,1,1), but .5x difference feels too drastic for only a small contrast in the overall strength of said drums. Plus, low sv on these sliders doesn't create a nice transition into the jumps that immediately follow after.
GoldenWolf
Ok so, I have some serious concerns about how its concepts, visuals, patterns and ideas are really similar in their core from mazzerin's map. There are some differences though, as you did map it by yourself and didn't straight out copy/pasted.

Here are some examples (and mazzerin's map for comparison) :

01:35:071 (1) -
And the stream following it.

01:55:515 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) -

vs
Not the flow, but the way you completely ignored the blasting 1/4s.

02:10:627 (1) - vs 00:40:435 (1) -
Kinda lazy to screen both entire kiais, but the way the streams are shaped, how they flow and their relative spacing are really similar aswell.

02:53:290 (1) - vs 01:23:101 (1) -
This one is identical but understandable, it really does fit well and no other option I can think of fit as well.

03:32:400 (1) - vs 02:02:212 (1) -
Again, how the relative spacing and shaping is done.

04:18:179 (1) - 02:47:990 (1) -
Uncanny similarities.

Those are only some examples, it isn't an exhaustive list. Overall, not straight copy/pasting, but it certainly does feel like it's more than simple inspiration. On some parts, the similarities are uncanny. The overall feeling of the flow, concepts, patterns and visuals seem too similar to be only inspiration. You may not realize yourself, but it is how it feels.

You don't necessarily have to make everything different, but there are many more ways to map the song while still following and fitting it in its intensity.
Einja
did this actually get bubbled and popped

we will have 10* maps ranked soon
alice soft
So many "pls no drama" posts in this thread since page 1 w

* Can confirm what GranDSenpai said; only 4 drum sounds first one being on start of measure and the last one being on the next measure so go for 1/3. Turn off hitsounds; might have similar mistakes elsewhere.

Zeptaxis wrote:

Stream starting at 04:18:179 (1) - seems very overmapped and unfitting for the background noise, considering it's not properly audible even at 25% speed
Disagree if your argument is only the music not being properly audible.
The sound mixing for the first measures of this segment does start about 80/20 L/R volume-wise so check your headset if you're barely hearing anything but it's hard to miss, esp with the different melody on each sides. If you're against streams echoing reverb effects (which is why there's a stream here in both Mazz's and this guy's map) that's something I'm not getting involved with. It's audible unlike what you've stated though.

Mapwise it's great to look at and as GW said it really does resemble Mazz's while looking easier and keeping the same star rating, but if the man himself doesn't mind (posted page 2) then eh who cares, original takes the cake for the fave parts of Senseless Massacre.
Artorias_DELETED
Most mappers basically got started "Copy pasting" the style of other mappers, and because someone does something similar it and it's on the same song, the map is un-rankable? Lord almighty.

Trying to deliberately change your map so its not similar to another map is insane to me, there can exist two maps that are similar, and there's no problem with it. It's not stealing.
Mir
I think this might have been a bit rushed...

There are some sections that could use a lot more work and polish before this should continue to the ranked section imo. The red points are unrankable and are mandatory to be fixed. The bold points are the reason I'm vetoing the map. The rest is just misc stuff I'm either not sure about or things that are relatively minor.

[ ]

• - 00:54:765 (1,2) // 01:06:285 (1,2,3) - Not really sure why these come in when there are no special sounds these seem to emphasize.

- 01:35:293 (1,2,1) - This jump switches the emphasis from 1 to 2 because the second 1 is lower spacing, which is against what the song is doing and your map hasn't really used anti-jumps before so this sort of emphasis isn't consistent.

- 01:37:738 (1,1,1,1) - I feel like these could use a lot less spacing and sv in order to make the sudden guitar and screaming at 01:38:627 (1,2,3) - more noticeable and I guess cooler. Atm they lack contrast. // 03:27:955 (1,1,1,1,1,2) -

- 01:55:515 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - You forgot an entire deathstream here too, there's a lot of 1/4 going on that normally you would have mapped but for some reason only used 1/2 circles. If anything 1/4 sliders would fit or just more deathstreams with slight spacing emphasis for the guitar. The reason I say you "forgot" it is because it was mapped at 01:54:627 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) - but the guitar and drums are pretty much the same, the only difference is the guitar which means you can instead of ignoring the drums merge them with a stream that has spacing differences etc.

- 02:13:460 (4,1,2) // 02:20:571 (4,1,2) - These few notes lack the same emphasis that 02:13:238 (8,1,2) - and similar cases had despite being still relatively strong (the drum especially).

- 02:15:960 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - The difference in spacing here seems a bit random because the song is staying at a pretty constant intensity but the spacing here increases and decreases at various points 02:17:182 (2,1,2) - // 02:17:071 (1,2,1) -

- 02:27:071 (5) - Shouldn't this be NC'd instead of 02:27:182 (1) - ?

- 02:39:960 (1,1,2,1,2) - This NCing doesn't really make sense to me, what exactly is it's purpose?

- 02:40:515 - Conflicting kiai settings on these timing points.

- 02:43:513 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) - This part by contrast is fairly weak but the map isn't indicating that, because the spacing here 02:43:624 (2,2,1,2,1,2) - is comparable to 02:15:960 (1,2,1,2,1,2) -

- 02:53:290 (1) - 02:56:846 (1) - 03:21:733 (1) - Unrankably silent slider ticks. You need to raise the volume for these and several others.

- 02:59:512 (1,2,3) - I feel like these should be spaced away from 02:59:290 (4,5) - to provide more emphasis to the last note.

- 03:07:512 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) - this jump section has some inconsistent emphasis, first with 03:07:512 (1,2,1) - the latter 1 has more emphasis, which should be consistently done - but 03:07:957 (1,2,1,2) - these jumps switch that to giving 2 more emphasis.

- 03:08:957 (1,2,3) - This slowdown doesn't really feel fitting because the guitar is pretty much the same intensity and the drums were mapped with this sv 03:08:401 (1,2) - here so I'm not quite sure why you decided to slow them down. 03:10:400 (1,1,1) - makes sense but it's not the same as the one in question. This happens pretty consistently in the map.

- 03:10:178 (1,2,1) - Lacking a lot of emphasis despite being relatively strong in the song compared to 03:09:956 (1,2) - despite being weaker.

- 03:35:066 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - I don't really understand why the emphasis is on the red ticks when the song is putting more emphasis on the white ticks - which even your NCs seem to indicate is the case.

- 03:42:121 (8,1,2,3,4) - This type of spacing was used previously however when the same sounds occur at 03:43:231 (8,1,2,3,4) - the same spacing difference isn't used. Then right after 03:43:453 (4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - all has the same spacing as the super loud drum stuff you were emphasizing before and that makes it diluted and indistinguishable. Same issue occurs also at 03:43:953 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - as mentioned prior.

- 03:47:735 (6) - Based on your NC patterning thus far this should also be NC'd right?

- 03:49:624 - Skipping a beat you would otherwise map I think.

GranDSenpai wrote:

03:57:957 (1,2,3,4,5) - 1/3 instead of 1/4 pls
    - 04:20:845 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) - This massive deathstream in such a quiet part I feel doesn't reflect the song's intensity very well especially when you mapped pretty much the same sounds with repeat sliders just before at 04:18:179 (1,1) - and the guitar even gets slightly louder at 04:23:512 (1,1) - but repeats are used instead of actual streams. Ideally there should be a consistency in intensity but there is only super easy and super hard.

- 04:39:512 - The sliderart at the end here (personal opinion) is pretty.. sub-par and I think could be improved to look somewhat more structured. At the moment they don't really look like they have any shape or form and kinda look like A-L-I-E-N sliders.

- 04:45:512 (1,2,1) - This flow is kinda inconsistent - using a wide angle suddenly after using sharp flow for all of these 04:44:845 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - which are all similar sounds.
Tl;dr: Flow, emphasis, spacing is all inconsistent in various places and the map fails at representing the song's intensity accurately relative to the rest of it.

You may have already fixed some of the unrankable issues of the map, but overall I'm placing a veto (+ second bubble pop) on this map to prevent it from going any further in the ranking process before the red bolded issues are fixed and I am satisfied with your reply/changes for the bolded points. This veto prevents the original nominator from rebubbling until a proper agreement for the concerns listed has been achieved. If you have questions or need some guidance on how to go about improving these aspects, feel free to PM me in-game whenever I seem free.
-Ran Yakumo-

Artorias wrote:

Most mappers basically got started "Copy pasting" the style of other mappers, and because someone does something similar it and it's on the same song, the map is un-rankable? Lord almighty.

Trying to deliberately change your map so its not similar to another map is insane to me, there can exist two maps that are similar, and there's no problem with it. It's not stealing.
Have you ever seen the map in editor ?! Some parts are extremley similar, especially the end streams
Theres a difference between using other maps as reference/inspiration and just taking the pattern and rotating it in a way or making it look just a TAD bit different. The mapper is using the "inspiration" thing just as damage control
GoldenWolf

Artorias wrote:

Had you took more time to read on what's happening maybe you would understand. There are different levels of similarities, starting from vague inspiration to.. rather uncanny ones.

I even explicitly said he doesn't have to change everything, but should consider at least what I pointed out that really ressemble mazzerin's map to a point where it's more than simple inspiration and starts being straight "I take this part and do the same". He didn't steal mazzerin's map, he made it from scratch and I could see that without him telling me. The streams aren't neat, the distance between circles aren't evenly spaced. There are many rather "meh" visuals, as he doesn't have the same level of technical finishing and polishing mazzerin has. So it's obvious he didn't outright stole the map.

That said, I want Nemesis to understand this is more than simply taking inspiration, the similarities are a notch over that point. If he truly believes this is how he sees the song as a map, how the patterns I pointed out are what they should be, and only decides on making minor adjustements/no change at all, then so be it. I am not part of those who decide if this map should be ranked or not, neither would I stop this from being ranked if I was in such a position AND the mapper actually, truly believes it is how the map should be to reflect the song, even if it's too similar to mazzerin's map.
Shiirn
Positive criticism is nice and all, but sometimes people have to accept that there are times where there is nothing positive to say.

A map created by an inexperienced mapper, bubbled by an inexperienced mapper, on page two with no significant mods or player input (Yes, I am handily discarding every single post because they're all useless), that copies anything worth mimicking from another mapper, while doing it badly and doing the not-"inspired"-bits even worse, is disgusting. This isn't even worthy of being called a farce.
I Must Decrease

Kurai wrote:

I'm pretty satisfied witht he structure of the map as it is and I don't really mind bubbling it. I know this map is rather controversial conidering its difficulty, but as long as there is an audience, I don't see anything wrong with nominating it.

This map is two songs merged in one, hence the / seperation. I don't see anything wrong with the merge as it is done correctly and the two songs are rather similar.

Metadata: https://uniqueleader.com/new-releases/r ... gal-ki-en/ ← Rings of Saturns' record label.

aaaaaa
Do you people not even read the BNG rules when you get added? Did you just assume you can nominate anything? You're 60k dude and a brand new BN, why do you think you can judge this?

I think you should be kicked from the BNG for your actions here.
Moonlit

Xexxar wrote:

Kurai wrote:

I'm pretty satisfied witht he structure of the map as it is and I don't really mind bubbling it. I know this map is rather controversial conidering its difficulty, but as long as there is an audience, I don't see anything wrong with nominating it.

This map is two songs merged in one, hence the / seperation. I don't see anything wrong with the merge as it is done correctly and the two songs are rather similar.

Metadata: https://uniqueleader.com/new-releases/r ... gal-ki-en/ ← Rings of Saturns' record label.

aaaaaa
Do you people not even read the BNG rules when you get added? Did you just assume you can nominate anything? You're 60k dude and a brand new BN, why do you think you can judge this?

I think you should be kicked from the BNG for your actions here.
There's a reason we have tiered BN

Just let this be a learning experience for him instead of bashing him
Topic Starter
[Nemesis]

Artorias wrote:

Sigh.
Topic Starter
[Nemesis]

Shiirn wrote:

Positive criticism is nice and all, but sometimes people have to accept that there are times where there is nothing positive to say.

A map created by an inexperienced mapper, bubbled by an inexperienced mapper, on page two with no significant mods or player input (Yes, I am handily discarding every single post because they're all useless), that copies anything worth mimicking from another mapper, while doing it badly and doing the not-"inspired"-bits even worse, is disgusting. This isn't even worthy of being called a farce.
Well no good modder seems to be giving a fuck about my maps at all, how are you expecting me to get quality mods?
Stjpa

[Nemesis] wrote:

Shiirn wrote:

Well no good modder seems to be giving a fuck about my maps at all, how are you expecting me to get quality mods?
Maybe approach people in a different way than you do atm lol
I Must Decrease

Stjpa wrote:

Maybe approach people in a different way than you do atm lol
show more