forum

osu!idol 2017 FINALS [RESULTS]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tanomoshii Nekojou
Renril oWo
Xandaros
I voted for Will. I listened to his earlier entries and was actually really surprised at how much praise he got. I really wasn't that big of a fan of those, but I really like his rendition of Ikanaide.

Renril's Rinne Tensei was really good, as well, but I had trouble actually understanding her. This is probably due to the loud background music and the speed of the song, but it is what it is.

Side Note: I really wished you could seek when listening to the music. At times I wanted to listen to a particular section again, but couldn't without listening to it from the beginning.

Edit: A friend of mine pointed out that Ikanaide and Rinne Tensei might be edited and I think he's right. With Ikanaide it's a bit more subtle, but you can clearly hear some reverb in the latter sections.
Chez
Lmao, I could tell that Will's was the most mixed but Renril's is a bit more saturated I would say just because of how active the instrumental is. Thiev has little or no mixing.

Oh and mixing and editing has been allowed in Finals for some reason.
ThatTromboneGuy

friesguy5467 wrote:

Lmao, I could tell that Will's was the most mixed but Renril's is a bit more saturated I would say just because of how active the instrumental is. Thiev has little or no mixing.

Oh and mixing and editing has been allowed in Finals for some reason.

Yes, mixing and editing was allowed in the finals (although heavy use of autotune was very discouraged). If there was no mixing allowed they would sound very amateur and just overall low quality. Mixing makes it so that the songs sound like something you would actually want to listen to instead of just karaoke.
Infinitstart
Thiev's song can be a little bit better. It feels like listening to the recording room-version(without mixing) of the artist singing. The vocal is way too sharp, it can be a little bit more subtle, due to the song's music style, which is acoustic. Also the singing is slightly too fast. The balance of the volume of the vocal and the volume of the music is a little bit outbalanced, which the volume of the vocal is louder than the music volume.

Renril's song is pretty GOOD *weebmemes intensifies*. The mixing is nice too. The song is maybe a bit loud, it covers the vocals in some parts. Props to nice Japanese pronounciation.
The initial vocal sounds is pretty good, it reminds me of LiSA's voice. But then the stamina got decreased after like 5 seconds. Then I listen to the song again and again, there is some fluctuation in the power of the voice as of unavoidable human error. The part with crazy vocals effect of making it feels a little quiet, it uuuuh...covers your voice a bit. Everything else PRETTY GOOD *IDubbzTV intensifies*.

Now, Will, Yours' good too. The mixing is VERY NICE *pewdeepye intensifies*. The B,V,O,-ch- sounds is a little bit wide. Also a little 【行かないで】is a nice touch but a bit too fast.

I do vote vote Renril's tho. #osuidolfinalé

----------------As by any means, I'm not able to sing as good as that ever.------------------
I do like all of the entries. 'Cause I'm bad at singing. Haha!!
Ephemeral
Being a largely uninvolved observer of the whole thing, I was absolutely blown away by Will Stetson's cover and voted for it pretty much immediately.
Myoui
i actually hard a hard time deciding on who to vote > w <
Glasses
#TeamStetson

His cover really hit me right in the feels
DeletedUser_5516553
"Will or Renril"
Hardest choice in life for sure.
(Not saying that Thievley's one is bad, it's actually pretty good! uwu)
Kazaze
Thank you very much Thievley for singing in english, you have my vote.
AngelNamirin
Renril best girl
or Will Stetson :thinking:
rabbet
Also, my opinion :
Thievley -> The music were pretty cool, chill and relax *o*. The voice too, really cute and the accent is perfect ! But maybe, some times, the voice wasn't really good with the song. The high notes, the most. I think another type of music will be perfect, more "hardcore" i don't really know ^^. But really cool, continue like that :p !

Renril -> Just OMFG. The song is totally awesome, I REALLY like this type of music ! And your accent *o*. I'm in love with you... This could be an anime opening ! Just some times it's like Thievley... But rarelly. Your voice give me many feelings, and many chills. Per-fect !

Will Stetson -> THIS.VOICE.OMG !! I'm in love too ! And the song relax + your voice : Perfect match *o*. I could listen to this when i'll be in the car, or to sleep. Just perfect too ! I don't know what to say, the feelings that you give me, i like that *o* Juste ONE LITTLE THINGS : I think that if you'll try a little bit more rock's song, that would be SDFUBDGUIG in my brain XD

Also, i'm not a pro in music, or anything, that's just MY opinion. But, I'll vote for Renril.
-The voice, which is beautiful asf
-The song, I'm in love with those type of song
-The feelings, and THE CHILLS that you gave me *o*

2nd = Will Stetson.
-The voice, really beautiful and so cool
-The song, maybe too relax for me ? XD
-The feelings, with your voice, really cool

3rd = Thievley.
-The voice, SO CUUUUUUUUUUTE <3
-The song, maybe too relax for me too ? XD
-The feelings, I had some, but not enough for me to choose you. Sorry, but continue like that !

But you'r all awesome, continue like that, I love you all !
GingerChips

Ephemeral wrote:

Being a largely uninvolved observer of the whole thing, I was absolutely blown away by Will Stetson's cover.
Same. He sounds really good, and he also sounds like the vocalist of Radwimps :)
But honestly all three of them really did well! This is such a tough choice for me ><
Mayuzumi Sayaka
will stetson ofc
DarthSkrill
Is it wrong to vote based on others' analyses? uwu
FlyMegumin
(/*_*)/ hype
Chez

DarthSkrill wrote:

Is it wrong to vote based on others' analyses? uwu

Not at all. It helps to formulate your opinion after hearing others' although it's best to keep your own tastes and deductions in mind.
Thievley
Oh my... Thanks to everyone who commented about my submission, all the feedback is much appreciated and I hope to improve a lot more in the future! Renril and Will are literally so talented, even I'm having a hard time choosing between them. Also, I second mapping Renril's submission wink
MakotoHikomura
Its to Hard to Pick one of them
Yaberlee
My thoughts:
I really liked Thievley's voice and was about to vote for her but the ending made me withdraw from doing so. Maybe, she should've sang a different song more suitable to her voice, but she did a nice a job. Didn't feel anything for the song but her voice does have potential. Nice try!

Renril's Rinne Tensei cover was just fun to hear. The song was quite loud at first but then I heard her voice and I was quite impressed. The song is definitely not easy to cover as you need a lot of breath power to sing for long and quickly, but at one point her voice became quite quiet I couldn't understand what she was saying. Regardless though, her cover made me go WOAH!!! >:O I want to hear more covers by her in the future <3. Renril definitely has a nice voice and I must say, that I was quite tempted to vote for her.

Will Stetson's Ikanaide made me nearly cry because of the feelings he expressed with his singing! I love the original song a lot but, he added life to the song somehow... His voice is so soothing and it has so little editing... Agh~ It just makes his cover so much more special. ;w; Simple but beautiful, Well done Will!

Conclusion: ~I was blown away by Will's sincere and heartfelt cover and although Renril's cover might probably win in the end, I'm still sticking with Will!~
Warfu
Hi guys, I was so hyped to participate at the start of this but considering I was super inactive on osu! and I went even more inactive because of school I had to reconsider it :'v
At least I see the contest has been handled almost the same way as last year, but genres are more important! Also that's probably the reason I lost at semifinals last year because I didn't have much genres in my repertoire. The competition has been going so well, good job to everyone :D

My thoughts on the Final:
Thievley chose a good song that fits her voice pretty well but in the end she could have trained her notes more, it didn't seem too solid although I loved a lot of strongest parts.
On the other hand, Will's entry was strong and solid for having very good timing and tuning which made his stronger parts sound like he wasn't even making too much effort! This is probably what Thievley's entry could've been, and it could've been better because of higher notes in her vocal range.
What really made me think was Will's entry vs Renril's entry. Renril totally used all her voice's potential in a faster and more complex song with almost perfect tuning and comfort. Will could've exploited his voice for a song like this. Also it made me think how this is the kind of songs that every osu! player likes lol, neat!
In my perspective, you can do the best singing, but exploring the best songs for exploiting your potential might have been the key for the final rounds. Everybody really deserves to be at this point but I'm going for Renril :')
Keiger
This was amazing on everyone's part. Thievley sang amazingly, however the song just wasnt right for her, based on how she sings. You did amazing though! <3
Now for will. Will was easily the best out of everyone else, however, i feel he exploited his voice with a perfect song. He did absolutely amazing though.
Renril was on the same par will was on, however i dont feel she exploited herself. However she did great. It was hard to pick between these 3 amazing singers.

So this is my vote.

Stickmxn
Hard choice. Everyone sounded great, but i picked Renril. :D
quu-zie
I. JUST. WANT. TO. VOTE. FOR. BOTH. THIEVLEY. AND. WILL. PLEASE. OH. GOD
NepNep-
At first I was supposed to vote for Renril, but the more I listened to Will's, the more I loved his more. :)
PantoffelWoffel
Can I get some HYPE in the chat \o/
ydem2nir9tag
Put on some really good headphones and listen to that last one. I was completely immersed in that song. Both the voice and the guitar worked perfectly, and the rain was a nice touch too.
Timpton
All of these finalists are super talented, but I can't help but feel confused. The rules say that they want to pick a winner who's active in the community because it wouldn't be very fun to just have them disappear. However all of these finalists seem to hardly play the game at all.
Will Stetson

Timpton wrote:

All of these finalists are super talented, but I can't help but feel confused. The rules say that they want to pick a winner who's active in the community because it wouldn't be very fun to just have them disappear. However all of these finalists seem to hardly play the game at all.

I actually play a lot! At least around 10 hours a week.
Chez

Timpton wrote:

Thiev maps stuff and plays taiko nowadays. Will actually plays a lot. I haven't checked Renril.
Lacaroxs
Hype. *-*
Topic Starter
Flanster

Timpton wrote:

However all of these finalists seem to hardly play the game at all.

At all? boi

Will has thousands of playcounts clocked over the last month.
Thievley close to a thousand plays, has taken part in art contests and also maps.
Renril is active enough.

Nobody is dead. Also we considered their activity at the start of the event. We tried to evaluate activity statistics as best as we can. We're not an activity forecast machine.
Kyonko Hizara

Flanster wrote:

Timpton wrote:

However all of these finalists seem to hardly play the game at all.

At all? boi

Will has thousands of playcounts clocked over the last month.
Thievley close to a thousand plays, has taken part in art contests and also maps.
Renril is active enough.

Nobody is dead. Also we considered their activity at the start of the event. We tried to evaluate activity statistics as best as we can. We're not an activity forecast machine.

As registrations would come in, Flan and I would consider how the users' activity had been from the past few months to within the past year. Our goal with implementing this new rule was to filter out users who would only come around for idol, or who would come back to their inactive accounts for the same reason. Do not worry, we made sure this year to take the appropriate protocol needed for every user that entered!

Him and I would even ask users with lower-than-desired playcounts if they had any other activity in the community. So there was effort being made to determine if the contestants had enough community activty, not just how much they play, and it is said in the op as well that you need to be a part of the community, which could be anything like playing, forum activity, modding and mapping, and helping or participating in other community events and contests. If we made the activity requirements too demanding or strict, then that would restrict too many users from participating. It can be compared to how many of the tournaments within the game have rank requirements.

We both decided that it would be too hard to determine what is "enough activity" through exact numbers for playcount, forum posts, etc., so we would confirm with each other, and the other judges if necessary, if someone did or did not have enough activity to participate.

And like Flan said, we can only predict if the participants will be active in the community after the event ends based on their recent and current activity.

I hope this provided for you more information as to how we come to these verdicts, as our methods and reasons for the decisions made are no secret to anyone.
Topic Starter
Flanster
Community voting results are here.

Congratulations to this year's osu!idol Renril!
Applause to Will Stetson and Thievley coming in 2nd and 3rd place respectively.

We hope you enjoyed the 2017 edition of osu!idol!
We will see you again next year.
Chez

*sigh*
ThunderBird2678
Holy shit Renril's cover is insane. Pitching a Mafumafu song +1 and then hitting the notes clearly?

Congrats to all the winners!!
Chez

And yes, I did end up finishing it save for the crust.
claystar9

Chez wrote:

And yes, I did end up finishing it save for the crust.

So glad you did this. Thank you.
Riria Rakira
Hehehe My Favorite Song <3
Topic Starter
Flanster
Unpinned and locked. Next up: 2018.