forum

The state of the skinning subforum

posted
Total Posts
show more
autoteleology
The fundamental issues with this forum, and their solutions, are simple.

There is no separation of content whatsoever. There are so many different types of content just mashed all together, all fighting for the same front page. We have guides, questions, complaints, rules, skins, skin elements, etc. all in the same space. How is anyone supposed to find anything in this mess? It's total chaos in here.

The little separation that does exist is almost completely pointless. Why are we putting all the support for this forum in a single thread? Does anyone really want to read a six year old, 220 page, 4000 post long thread to find an answer for their question, or expect anyone else to do this to answer their question? When's the last time a mod has looked at the completed skins queue? The completed skins subforum is basically a repository of legacy content at this point.

This community also has no safeguards against the flood of people coming from osu!skinner. There's nothing stopping someone who has no integration with the community from coming in here, ignoring the rules and posting whatever they want. This problem exacerbates the content separation issue - it's already really difficult to find good content when everything is thrown into one big box, much less when you dump piles of random trash on top of said box every day.

So how do we solve these issues? It's very easy. We need to separate different types of content out from each other. Why this hasn't been done already is a mystery, honestly. Look at how other topics are all cleanly sorted out amongst different forums and subforums in this community, and then look at how Skinning is treated. We have just "Skinning". There is no structure or organization whatsoever. It's like we're a sideshow that nobody cares about. No wonder random users treat our forum that way. No wonder users rely on third party websites like osu!skinner or osu! skins instead of the forum in order to get their skinning content. Why would anyone want to come here over those places, really?

This is how I would divvy everything up and organize it to be a structured, efficient forum:

The main forum should be for questions, tutorials, etc. so that it gets more traffic and doesn't languish in obscurity like it would as a subforum since it doesn't have the same draw for traffic as the subforums for skins will.

Then, we need a subforum for incomplete skins - anything from individual element design to partial skins (for people who don't want to go through the trouble of making a whole skin, but don't want to make a mixed skin. Mixed skins will obviously still be banned.

Next, we need a subforum for completed skins - we already have that, thankfully, though there will need to be some changes made to use this forum to its fullest. First, the name should be changed to something along the lines of "qualified" or "approved" skins for reasons that will be made clear momentarily. Then, the forum should be made so that only moderators can post new topics, but users can still post in threads, just as it is now. Then, we make a full subforum for the "qualified skin queue", instead of having just a thread for it, where anyone can post new skins that are looking to be moved into the approved skin subforum. In this forum, moderators either lock/delete/move to graveyard content that breaks the rules, or promote good content to the approved skin subforum.

This works much better than the current system for a bunch of ways:
  1. It acts as a filter and a highlighter for all of the new content so that it gets the attention it deserves if it is good, and the different attention it deserves if it isn't.
  2. It holds moderators accountable for processing or not processing content because in a properly working system, the subforum should be close to empty - it is very difficult to accomplish the same effect with a thread because there is no way to tell how up to date the moderator processing on it is.
  3. When it is empty, as it should be, it should serve as an even better highlighter for new content.
  4. The kinds of people who don't read the rules or integrate into the community will post their garbage into the main forum, where it obviously doesn't belong, so it will stick out like a sore thumb and be dealt with quickly instead of blending in with good content as it does now.
  5. Different types of content will no longer have to fight for the same limited space on the front page, improving not only the readability of the forum, but also the amount of topics and discussions the forum can sustain at the same time.
So there. This is a comprehensive solution to the woes of the forum.
Charre

Philosofikal wrote:

stuff
You have a lot of great ideas. Another thing that needs to be dealt with is newcomers entering a helpful topic and quoting the WHOLE first post or even a random post without stating why or whether they agree or disagree with that post etc. Just leaves me scratching my head to see that and not see it get deleted.
h3oCharles

Charre wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

stuff
You have a lot of great ideas. Another thing that needs to be dealt with is newcomers entering a helpful topic and quoting the WHOLE first post or even a random post without stating why or whether they agree or disagree with that post etc. Just leaves me scratching my head to see that and not see it get deleted.
I already mentioned that. Notice how most of these have single post counts which that derp
Charre

h3oCharles wrote:

I already mentioned that. Notice how most of these is have single post counts which that derp
My bad, didn't see it directly addressed in this thread. Also thanks for sending the mods the email that inspired this thread to be made
autoteleology
be negative: moderator response is immediate
be helpful: moderator response is nonexistent

And people wonder why I am negative. In my opinion, better to be disliked than ignored.

Kurai wrote:

We will do what we can to actively monitor

Philosofikal wrote:

I don't believe you that anything will change
Thanks for proving me right. You kept your promise for a solid one day. If you're not monitoring the announcement as the first post on the forum set up explicitly to help deal with the problem how could you possibly be monitoring the problem?
Nitrous
So in a nutshell of what your wall of text says, make it similar to Beatmapping and Beatmapping Subforum. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
It all depends if the staff would agree to your idea.
autoteleology
I mean, it's similar in that there's some progression and organization, which this forum currently lacks entirely.

As far as I can tell, Beatmapping is an example of a forum that is very well organized and managed, and it must be doing something right with all the quality fruit it provides for the community. I'd really like to see the same love and attention given to the skin forum as the beatmap forum considering that skins are virtually just as important as beatmaps in this game (how many people do you know that use the default skin?) There are a lot of systems that could be adapted from the beatmapping community - it would be pretty cool to give and get kudosu for skins, or have some sort of engine for collaboration, or have a way to integrate a skin browser to the game through osu!direct.

I'm also just saying that if I took the time to think and write all of that, even something as small as an acknowledgement that I exist would be nice. I don't seem to have any issue getting that when I am being rude, so why not when I took several hours out of my day to make a plan to improve the quality of this forum for everyone when it is being explicitly solicited?
deadbeat
I never responded because I have my own ideas for what needs to happen.
autoteleology

Kurai wrote:

Your opinion matters!

deadbeat wrote:

I have my own ideas for what needs to happen.
And these plans are...?
h3oCharles

Philosofikal wrote:

Kurai wrote:

Your opinion matters!

deadbeat wrote:

I have my own ideas for what needs to happen.
And these plans are...?
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell that, but still...
he wants to revive skins.ppy.sh

And yea, that is a perfect example of lack of communication between these moderators.

EDIT1: Oh, and CBullet is also preparing "something"
Lyawi
I appreciate that something happens here now, thanks for taking care~
h3oCharles
I've just talked with deadbeat, he said to wait and see if we're going to get a new site when lazer is done.
So I think for now they only thing we can do now is to struggle with those "newbies" lurking about for questions

Now... my question is, should I e-mail peppy about this situation as well and consider this option?
Lyawi
no
gike_old

Ryoid wrote:

Great! Does doing this can decrease the chance of mixed skin thread?
autoteleology

gike wrote:

Ryoid wrote:

Great! Does doing this can decrease the chance of mixed skin thread?
No, it is better to wait for a nebulous possible future solution instead of taking definite action that could mostly resolve the problem with a couple of days work. A few more months, a year, possibly more is a realistic timeframe to deal with this issue, why let good enough be the enemy of ideal? After all, these solutions are mutually exclusive and in no way can we do one in the near future and the other one whenever it is ready.

Just be quiet and stop causing issues. Something of value will be done with this forum eventually. Maybe.
crystalsuicune

Philosofikal wrote:

No, it is better to wait for a nebulous possible future solution instead of taking definite action that could mostly resolve the problem with a couple of days work. A few more months, a year, possibly more is a realistic timeframe to deal with this issue, why let good enough be the enemy of ideal? After all, these solutions are mutually exclusive and in no way can we do one in the near future and the other one whenever it is ready.

Just be quiet and stop causing issues. Something of value will be done with this forum eventually. Maybe.
I'm guessing that the post you're replying to is another one of those "I'll post with a quote of a post and nothing else" single-post-count people
autoteleology

crystalsuicune wrote:

I'm guessing that the post you're replying to is another one of those "I'll post with a quote of a post and nothing else" single-post-count people

h3oCharles wrote:

I've just talked with deadbeat, he said to wait and see if we're going to get a new site when lazer is done.
In other words, "we're passing the buck".
deadbeat
OK here's the thing. Even IF we did exactly what you suggested 20 times, that still require a lot of moderator presence and frankly, that's still low as always. I'd much rather have a site that would almost nullify the need for mods. Automate everything and only need mods to remove a few uploaded skins every now and then. Doesn't that sound a hell of a lot better than a forum system that requires moderators to make anything work?
Nitrous

deadbeat wrote:

OK here's the thing. Even IF we did exactly what you suggested 20 times, that still require a lot of moderator presence and frankly, that's still low as always. I'd much rather have a site that would almost nullify the need for mods. Automate everything and only need mods to remove a few uploaded skins every now and then. Doesn't that sound a hell of a lot better than a forum system that requires moderators to make anything work?
Basically like the Loved System where its user-nominated whether Skin X is a mixed skin and we should get rid of it or Skin Y is a great skin we should push this?
Correct me again if I'm wrong but if this is what you're after, this might be a great idea. More user interaction and less moderator presence needed.
O2MasterFX
^Then skinning nomination it is
deadbeat

-Nitrous wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

Basically like the Loved System where its user-nominated whether Skin X is a mixed skin and we should get rid of it or Skin Y is a great skin we should push this?
Correct me again if I'm wrong but if this is what you're after, this might be a great idea. More user interaction and less moderator presence needed.
Not quite. Most of the moderation needed here is locking, pinning and moving threads. You know, standard forum stuff. But with a dedicated skin site, locking and pinning threads doesn't need to happen, and we can automate skins getting marked as completed. Granted mods would still be needed for inappropriate skins and whatnot, but It'd work a lot better than what we have now.
h3oCharles
now THIS is exactly what I was talking about... ppl reposting OPs.
O2MasterFX
Either they are stupid or they think the "Quote" button was mistaken as "reblog this", "like", or "share" because of the icon next to the text,
Lyawi
Because the most newbies are interested in skins, they will look into this subforum and that's why it happends here a lot. Seems like you have to handle it and live with that, it's not too bad. They're just new and doesn't know how a forum works.
Alexkuzi
Then How Can You Upload Mixed Skins Without breaking The Rules???
autoteleology
uhhhh, you don't? lol? we don't want them.
Alexkuzi

Philosofikal wrote:

uhhhh, you don't? lol? we don't want them.
I Said How Can You Upload Mixed Skins Without breaking The Rules!!! I'm Not Fucking Joking!!!
autoteleology
I'm also not joking. They are banned for a reason, namely that they are worthless to the skinning community. If you want to share your mixed skin, put a link in your profile, or your signature. Do not post them.
Alexkuzi

Philosofikal wrote:

I'm also not joking. They are banned for a reason, namely that they are worthless to the skinning community. If you want to share your mixed skin, put a link in your profile, or your signature. Do not post them.
Oh. Thank you! :)
Nitrous
What the other guy said is practically correct but vague... Mixed skins are not allowed because of several reasons being:
  1. Using other people's work without permission is an act of plagiarism which is illegal.
  2. Promoting effortless and unoriginal work is unfair towards to people who spent hours on making original work.
Hope you don't go rampant like what you did in the other sub-forums and understand this.
Lyawi

Kurai wrote:

here is a list of moderators who are willing to help:
  1. deadbeat
  2. Flanster
  3. Gabe
  4. Kurai
  5. Nathanael
I don't wanna sound mean but is this still a thing? I saw no one who was willing to help except in the beginning. Exceptions are Nathanael and even Dntm8meeatu from time to time....
Nathanael
I don't think so but we have made another conversation regarding this subforum.

Also, we're now strictly "no mixed skins allowed" so we'll immediately wasteland threads. The 24 hour proof requirement is no longer a thing. If possible, use the nuke icon when replying to indicate that the thread is mixed and needs action (well if you use the old forum).
Frogsi
Do not post skins in the main sub-forum.
The main Skinning forum is now for questions and discussions. Therefore, use Work In Progress Skins instead.
Wait is that a thing now? But why? Because of the "mixed skins"-Problem ect.?
Dntm8kmeeatu

FroxXyyy wrote:

Do not post skins in the main sub-forum.
The main Skinning forum is now for questions and discussions. Therefore, use Work In Progress Skins instead.

Wait is that a thing now? But why? Because of the "mixed skins"-Problem ect.?

It's to seperate Questions & Other Topics from actual Skins. Currently as it is, they are all mixed, and it's a bit of a mess.

It's not enforced currently, but once we figure out exactly how we are going to handle the change, it will be. You'll know when that day comes.
h3oCharles

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

You'll know when that day comes.
Please let it be on Christmas. It will be the best present for all of the skinners!
autoteleology
I'm thankful you decided to listen to me.
Nathanael
We'll start wastelanding threads with dead links.
psame
Very Nice...