1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings

show more
posted
Think of farming like a progress check.

I play what I like whether it's bullshit 7* techmap or a simple 4* TV size, I only farm when my rival buddy surpass me in rank, I'll start a farming session to see how much pp I can get in a few days, I'll stop once I hit a wall, that's why my ranking graph isn't a gradual increase, cause 70% of the time I wouldn't be playing farm maps
posted

StephOsu wrote:

im pretty sure only the newbies and people that's still living in 2012 still thinks that pp farming is truly bad
yes, it's bad and you should die

me too
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Think of farming like a progress check.

I play what I like whether it's bullshit 7* techmap or a simple 4* TV size, I only farm when my rival buddy surpass me in rank, I'll start a farming session to see how much pp I can get in a few days, I'll stop once I hit a wall, that's why my ranking graph isn't a gradual increase, cause 70% of the time I wouldn't be playing farm maps
oh shit we have the same line of thought we should be friends xd
posted
What about people who say play 5 maps they think will increase their skill and then play 1 "farm" map just to check their progress?
posted
Then they're fukin retarded to think playing 5 maps can see immediate improvement.

Then again they're probably 6 digit if they think that
posted
I meant like seeing improvement over 10 or 20 plays on that map because that would mean 50 or 100 plays on other maps
posted
I think it's more likely you'll see immediate improvement on those 5 maps more than anything, despite contrary belief, PP maps are the minority when compared to the entirety of downloadable maps, it's still very likely your improvement would not translate to pp maps, so it's still retarded.

The entire idea of "improvement map" is relative, it just so happens our current ranking system favor pp maps, you play "improvement maps" cause when you stop ranking, there's a pseudo skill ceiling you make up by the fact that you can no longer farm. What people don't realize it's that the skill ceiling improvement maps can push is limited, without pp to indicate that ceiling people will continue to plunder in improvement maps without realizing they've actually hit a wall, hence I do a farming session to push up the skill ceiling improvement maps can't push.
posted
Do top50 leaderboard!!!
posted
If you want a mix of good skill improvement and good PP improvement, you need to play a mix of maps that are near the limit of what you can pass and maps that you have a good chance of FCing. Think of challenging maps as maps that improve your reading and speed, and easier maps to improve your control and consistency. If you get really fast and really good at reading but your consistency is lacking, it makes you a worse player than what you could be.

I know that playing easier maps than what you're used to might be boring at first, but think of it as "just chill out" time.
posted
What exactly is considered "farming"? Because as a newcomer who started a couple days ago, I'm not up to the terms and such. Is farming considered playing a map over and over again, tryharding, etc etc just for the purpose of getting higher in the ranks? Would I technically be "farming" if I played a map, pressing the retry button because I want my C rank to be an A rank? I wasn't thinking about getting up in the ranks or PP or what not, I just really wanted my C rank to go up and just to improve in game in general. :c
posted

technomelons wrote:

What exactly is considered "farming"? Because as a newcomer who started a couple days ago, I'm not up to the terms and such. Is farming considered playing a map over and over again, tryharding, etc etc just for the purpose of getting higher in the ranks? Would I technically be "farming" if I played a map, pressing the retry button because I want my C rank to be an A rank? I wasn't thinking about getting up in the ranks or PP or what not, I just really wanted my C rank to go up and just to improve in game in general. :c
you don't need to know, and you don't need to care for now
just play more and don't retry after hitting 1 miss and you will be doing fine
posted

technomelons wrote:

Play the game how you want to play it, ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.
posted
I was talking about stuff like this
posted
prime example of farming:

posted
farming.jpeg
posted

HK_ wrote:

I was talking about stuff like this
That's the immediate effect I'm talking about.
posted
it doesnt help much u know