forum

RSI already?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zedek117
Howdy,

So I started playing osu a little more seriously about 3 months ago or so. There was a time where all streams were deathstreams as I would feel a great fatigue in my wrist and lose the rhythm, and while that went away as my stamina has increased I've got a new problem. My fingers hurt. I don't play THAT much but now it seems like my tapping fingers feel bruised. I'm not sure if it's RSI since I think you normally feel that in your wrist but I've definitely got a dull aching pain in my tapping fingers.

I know that the natural suggestion is to stop playing as much but I really don't play that often in my opinion. a couple of days in a row every now and then for a few hours is my usual rate.

So I've got two questions, has anyone else ever gotten this? And how do people with high rank avoid getting RSI and carpal tunnel?
Akanagi
Consult Dr. Levi asap
Nattsun
RSI and CTS are not that common in the community, actually RSI became a meme and you shouldn't think that every 2nd pro gets RSI at some point lol...

If you are noticing pain, meet a doctor. It may not even have something to do with your wrist. I had wrist pain and hand numbness myself and guess what it was. It was a nerve disorder in my neck, had to wear a scarf and it was all gone within a few days.

tl;dr: meet a doc
Topic Starter
Zedek117

Nattsun wrote:

RSI and CTS are not that common in the community, actually RSI became a meme and you shouldn't think that every 2nd pro gets RSI at some point lol...

If you are noticing pain, meet a doctor. It may not even have something to do with your wrist. I had wrist pain and hand numbness myself and guess what it was. It was a nerve disorder in my neck, had to wear a scarf and it was all gone within a few days.

I don't think it's that serious. I haven't got any numbness or anything and my wrists feel fine. It's really just a bruised feeling in my knuckles and I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten anything like that.
c-atsuit
try playing more often for shorter periods of time (ex. 15 mins-1 hr every day). i never really experienced any hand/wrist pain except when i played for hours on end ! so play more, but play less :')
clickhead
My fingers feel like they hurt and the tips feel bruised when I play too much. I can only play OSU like 1-2 hours a day before fatigue causes my performance to drop so I'd say just play less.
Nattsun

Zedek117 wrote:

Nattsun wrote:

I don't think it's that serious. I haven't got any numbness or anything and my wrists feel fine. It's really just a bruised feeling in my knuckles and I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten anything like that.
A random guys statement over the internet is worth nothing, better meet a doc if it concerns you, if not you should quit playing once you notice pain.

Games ain't supposed to hurt you :3
Wishes
I nearly got RSI a few years back which resulted in me switching my mouse hand (not related to osu), and symptoms include numbness in fingers, pain in wrist and a loss of strength in the hand. Your situation doesn't seem like RSI, just you pressing the keys too hard. Although at your level I'm surprised you are having stamina issues. :o
Topic Starter
Zedek117

PocketSizedMiku wrote:

I nearly got RSI a few years back which resulted in me switching my mouse hand (not related to osu), and symptoms include numbness in fingers, pain in wrist and a loss of strength in the hand. Your situation doesn't seem like RSI, just you pressing the keys too hard. Although at your level I'm surprised you are having stamina issues. :o
Oww, feelings.
Wishes

Zedek117 wrote:

PocketSizedMiku wrote:

Oww, feelings.
Sorry. That was not a jab at your skill level. It is just that there are not many long streams in the songs you would be playing. I'm not even at the level where stamina is an issue, so yeah I don't get how you would hurt your fingers playing osu.
Topic Starter
Zedek117

PocketSizedMiku wrote:

Sorry. That was not a jab at your skill level. It is just that there are not many long streams in the songs you would be playing. I'm not even at the level where stamina is an issue, so yeah I don't get how you would hurt your fingers playing osu.
Yeah, I wouldn't say stamina is an issue though. My wrist only feels fatigued in long streams like the ones you'd find in https://osu.ppy.sh/s/350295. It's just after a few hours of playing lately my fingers are sore.
mille69
Yes, I had finger pain nonstop the first few weeks I was playing but I started to relax and not hit the keys as hard. I had a tendency to mash super hard on streamy parts but I learned to take it easy. Also I put O-rings on my tapping keys to absorb some of the shock. Your fingers become stronger after a while as well.
Wishes

Zedek117 wrote:

PocketSizedMiku wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't say stamina is an issue though. My wrist only feels fatigued in long streams like the ones you'd find in https://osu.ppy.sh/s/350295. It's just after a few hours of playing lately my fingers are sore.
Maybe your keyboard switches are too stiff causing you to exert too much strength. What kind of keyboard are you using?
StephOsu
tap lighter and play more
it's just like doing sports
if you don't do sports often and you suddenly do some running, you will experience some muscle pain on the next day
as long as you don't over commit and do it regularly, your body will get used to it and you will not feel as much pain anymore
Deva

StephOsu wrote:

your body will get used to it and you will not feel as much pain anymore
But what if my whole existence is a pain?
StephOsu

HK_ wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

your body will get used to it and you will not feel as much pain anymore
But what if my whole existence is a pain?

StephOsu wrote:

tap lighter and play more
I Give Up
You cannot get RSI playing easy maps.
StephOsu

I Give Up wrote:

it's actually theoretically possible to do that
but you need to destroy your keyboard in the process
Deva

StephOsu wrote:

I Give Up wrote:

it's actually theoretically possible to do that
but you need to destroy your keyboard in the process
It's theoretically possible to destroy the world with a teaspoon
NixXSkate
From what you're saying I highly doubt you have RSI, take a week break if it's bothering you. People suggest seeing a doctor; have they never trained for anything in their life? Seeing a doctor for every pain you have is silly especially if it's a dull pain. Just take a little break. If you have a sharp pain or a lot of numbness that doesn't seem to go away with a break, then see a doctor.
show more