forum

Is a mechanical keyboard important.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BlueFace
I play mania for a while now but I still use my non mechanical keyboard because i don't like how loud they are. I still want to improve in Osu and I want to ask if a mechanical keyboard is essential to "get gud"
thx in advance :D
Vladimir Puchin
Laptop keyboard is good, mechanical keyboard is good. Pretty much anything will do unless your keyboard is some ancient stuff from 10 years ago.
I don't know if this is "gud" but I see some people who only play with laptop keyboard around 10k pp. I myself see no much difference when I switched between my laptop key and mech key.
Sandy Hoey
It is by no means a necessity to play well. But they do feel pretty nice. I hate typing on anything else now
Tripletth
I switched back to rubber dome after trying mechanical for 2 weeks. It didn't improve my play at all, at least not in any significant way.
Userbacker
It doesn't matter really much unless you have some ancient stuff like they said before, but it feels pretty nice and probably will help you in timing :)
Minisora

MrBlueFaceHD wrote:

I play mania for a while now but I still use my non mechanical keyboard because i don't like how loud they are. I still want to improve in Osu and I want to ask if a mechanical keyboard is essential to "get gud"
thx in advance :D
No. ;)
aitor98

Minisora wrote:

No. ;)
That's not the the correct answer at all to be honest. In my opinion, having a mechanical keyboard gives you some kind of extra comfort while playing if we have to compare between rubber dome and mech. I have had a rubber dome keyboard for 2 years and when I changed to mechanical keyboard, the difference was extremely big. I earned specially dexterity and speed but I also skillboosted in every aspect 2 days after getting the keyboard. It takes a few hours/days in getting used to it if you're switching to mech after using rubber dome, but I think It's not 100% necessary to buy one mech.

I have heard a lot of people that has had a really bad experience with the mech keyboard and they just kept playing with rubber dome/laptop keyboard. So my answer would be the next one: do whatever you want lol
Vladimir Puchin
Anyway, take your desk size into consideration. My desk is too small and too high so I have to resort to T-Rex arms style when I use external keyboards, which makes me play 4k considerably worse due to lack of force.

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I hate typing on anything else now
Same here. 10% difference in typing speed and much lower accuracy when I return to laptop keyboard.
Topic Starter
BlueFace
Thank you for the many answers ^^ :)
[Crz]Player
get mech after getting good enough. roughly speaking, good means luminal in 4k or gamma dan in 7k at least

mech would make you better if you are good

but nothing'll happen if you're noob

also to answer the question, mech isn't necessary.

there are several membrane kbs that are good enough to play the game, and cheaper than mech.

you should just find out kb that fits you and has reasonable price
Jinjin
I've never used a mech before for playing mania.
The only keyboards I have used so far are laptop and membrane.
As long as you're not an extremely skilled player, laptop and membrane keys are fine.
iirc jakads was already rank 2 when his main keyboard was a membrane.
I agree that it differs from player to player but usually people can get really skilled without having to rely on a mechanical keyboard.
dewero
ABCD is overjoy and used a membrane

-Maus-

step mania wrote:

get mech after getting good enough. roughly speaking, good means luminal in 4k or gamma dan in 7k at least

mech would make you better if you are good

but nothing'll happen if you're noob

also to answer the question, mech isn't necessary.

there are several membrane kbs that are good enough to play the game, and cheaper than mech.

you should just find out kb that fits you and has reasonable price
Listen to the based asian of wisdom
Raediaufar
Mechanical keyboard does give you "feels" which is not found on rubber dome. I found that I can stream faster with mech (cherry mx red & brown) but it's more easier to jack when using rubber. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. The reason I play on mech is just because it less vulnerable to ghosting.

So yeah, it's not necessary
Veracion
Bubbler is still my idol.
Top 50, laptop player, default skin user.

I play on a laptop myself, no biggy.
FelissieFenessa
As long as it have good anti-ghosting or you can find key binding that doesn't make ghosting. Any keyboard is fine.
NightNarumi
Like they said, it can be a huge advantage, but it differs from person to person.
There are people who can't play on mech keyboards and vice versa.
AncuL

Vladimir Puchin wrote:

unless your keyboard is some ancient stuff from 10 years ago.
you're incorrect
Bobbias

AncuL wrote:

Vladimir Puchin wrote:

you're incorrect
Older keyboards with the PS/2 connector (old round connector) are actually better than USB keyboards since they never suffer from the 6 key limit lol.

Also, I can't play on a mech. I bought one and never use it for osu. I play exclusively on laptop.
Vladimir Puchin

AncuL wrote:

Vladimir Puchin wrote:

you're incorrect
Maybe your ancient is different from my ancient lol. My old keyboard has a 10-15% chance of a key being stuck from hitting too hard.
Full Tablet

Bobbias wrote:

Older keyboards with the PS/2 connector (old round connector) are actually better than USB keyboards since they never suffer from the 6 key limit lol.

Also, I can't play on a mech. I bought one and never use it for osu. I play exclusively on laptop.
Only high-end PS/2 keyboards and motherboards support NKRO (both the keyboard and the motherboard had to support it). The standard for most keyboards/motherboards in the PS/2-era was a 2 key limit (not including modifier keys such as Ctrl/Alt/Shift) (Trying to press more keys usually made the PC ignore all input and start beeping).
ReTLoM
Wasnt it 3 i can remember that i played need for speed II SE splitscreen and when i turned +gas my sister wasnt able to turnd and the pc did make peeep
[ Scarlet Red ]
IMO it depends on the person. I can't use a laptop keyboard, feels way less "official" when I press a key. When I use a mechanical I know every key goes down when I intend to press them.