forum

Better at playing beatmaps for the first time

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
clickhead
So I've had trouble improving at OSU recently, and one thing in particular that I find intriguing is I seem to do better on average when I am playing a beatmap for the first time rather than when playing beatmaps that I am more familiar with. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like when I am playing a beatmap for the first time, although I have no idea what to expect from it I play near 100% of my skill level and snap at speeds that surprise myself, whereas I make plenty of careless mistakes when playing beatmaps that are familiar to me.

I also seem to perform better the less I think about playing OSU, say that I start thinking about my day while playing a beatmap I'll enter a flow state and perform way better than usual.

Any tips on this kind of problem? Thanks.
Comfy Slippers
6-digit sightread god lol

On a serious note - you just don't. Your mentality makes you choke, most likely cause you know what to expect and burden yourself with a certain goal (usually FC). Best solution is to play easier songs. Your top play is an extra, and as a 110k player you shouldn't be even playing harder insanes, let alone going as far as 5.5*. It's only natural that you'll choke more often. Just keep going down until you find a highest star rating where you are most consistent.
Akanagi
First try best try.
I have the same thing going on sometimes but it just comes from your expectations and trying to memorize the map, so you play by anticipation rather than just "playing it", causing you to not focus on the supposedly easy parts but instead think about when the hard part is coming / the part that you missed on before.
gamestonk
the difference between your top play and your 100th top play is ridiculous. You'd feel better about your consistency if you weren't playing maps at the outer threshold of your skill level constantly. You'd also go up ~40k ranks if you care about that.

I've been unable to FC anything recently, but that's because i'm playing maps that will land in my top 5 plays, and as previously mentioned, I choke because I feel like I should be able to FC it just because I have other 170PP plays. That's not how it works. That being said, I can get 120pp plays all day long, simply because they're easy compared to what I can do 'at my best'
N0thingSpecial
It occasionally happens during multi for me when others pick a map I don't have, I think it has more to do with the mindset that you don't know what to expect,instead of aiming for FC you aim to hit as much notes as possible. Although I would still argue I play better once I learn the map.
Deva
Your reading is just better than your mussel memory which is probably rubbish
kai99
I do good on first tries, as in i 1 miss a map i usually can't. after that play, it takes about four more takes until i can do better, and any more retries after that tends to deterioriate my play so i move on.
Kiciuk
Its normal.
I also mostly get highest ACC plays at first play but always miss somewhere or break combo so i tryhard to FC with lower ACC.
Why its like that ?
In my case i memorize parts where i fail b4 and focus on them while missing on other easy things.
N0thingSpecial
Tbh I want to ask, how many of your best plays are made first try, compare to best play made after the first try, cause theoretically speaking, and I think statistically speaking, your first try will not be your best play most of the time
Deva
In my case most of my top plays are first tries but my best plays are like 2nd/3rd/4th etc play
Please elucidate
Nattsun
All of my top plays are sightreads :O

Black magic, who would've expect that you improve if you don't chase for pp.
N0thingSpecial

HK_ wrote:

but my best plays are like 2nd/3rd/4th etc play
Please elucidate
Yea exactly, I'm not talking about haha xd I sightread some pp.
Like if you think about it's pretty self explanatory, you play more and you improve you understand the map and you get better plays.

In which I think OP is saying 'Better at playing beatmaps for the first time" under the assumption that he doesn't improve in the future. which is stupid.
Topic Starter
clickhead
Alright, I will follow your advice and play easier beatmaps. My problem right now is that since I usually play beatmaps close to my maximum capacity, I find beatmaps that I actually have a decent chance of being able to FC boring xD

Also in case you are wondering, my top play currently is a first try haha (the 135pp one). I did a 490 combo on it (close to FC) and in the few days after I tried the beatmap like half a dozen more times and the second highest combo I got was around 250, I have no idea how I almost FC'd it the first time, and this is what finally caused me to make this thread. I remember that I also wasn't even looking at the combo or anything when I did it. Guess I should work on consistency with easier beatmaps.
gamestonk

clickhead wrote:

Alright, I will follow your advice and play easier beatmaps. My problem right now is that since I usually play beatmaps close to my maximum capacity, I find beatmaps that I actually have a decent chance of being able to FC boring xD

Also in case you are wondering, my top play currently is a first try haha (the 135pp one). I did a 490 combo on it (close to FC) and in the few days after I tried the beatmap like half a dozen more times and the second highest combo I got was around 250, I have no idea how I almost FC'd it the first time, and this is what finally caused me to make this thread. I remember that I also wasn't even looking at the combo or anything when I did it. Guess I should work on consistency with easier beatmaps.
You could try playing with the GUI off. Shift + tab when playing a song. It's helped me a bit not being able to look at combo / acc
ManuelOsuPlayer
My best play it's around 3-4° play. You can find the exactly way on what you focus sightreading and do it on purpouse to keep playing the maps at same level until you get bored of that map/song, tired, etc.
Edgar_Figaro
My best play is usually on a pseudo-sightread. Playing a song for the very first time I will generally miss a few times as some pattern surprised me. If it try and play it immediately after my brain is mentally preparing for the hard part of the song and I usually lose focus on stuff I easily comboed the first time and miss on some easy pattern.

The better play will usually come the next day or a few day later when my conscious brain isn't thinking about that choke spot but my subconscious remembers the tricky pattern and how to play it. I will then usually play through it just fine and usually beat my first play in almost every way (combo, ACC, & misses)

I have such a ridiculous playcount for my level as it took me over 30k playcount to realize that spam retrying was the worst thing I could do. Been having a lot more success getting scores (and more consistency) by taking this approach of playing maps.
Topic Starter
clickhead
Well thanks guys, I followed your advice and played slightly easier beatmaps than what I usually play. I think I gained about 200pp in the last hour. Considering I only slept 4 hours and am quite tired right now, that is insane to me (I don't think I've gained more than 80-100pp in a day before lmao). Definitely looking forward to the pp gains tomorrow and being able to relax a bit more while playing :)
Topic Starter
clickhead
Update: I am now a 5 digit player. Thank you for your support :)
FlipSide82

Rayne wrote:

First try best try.
I have the same thing going on sometimes but it just comes from your expectations and trying to memorize the map, so you play by anticipation rather than just "playing it", causing you to not focus on the supposedly easy parts but instead think about when the hard part is coming / the part that you missed on before.
8-)
FlipSide82
Just keep playing and you will get better
Venix
FlipSide82, try to keep your things in one post. If you want to add something just edit previous post