forum

Local multiplayer - several accounts on one client

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +7
Topic Starter
Stalzak
Edits are nice, I dunked the old post, better danker version of the main post ahead (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

osu! might have a good online multiplayer, but it lacks a feature in which games like StepMania or Taiko no Tatsujin shine greatly: a good ol' fashioned local multiplayer.

> What do you mean, local multiplayer?
Imagine a group of nerds, each of them having an osu! account on their own computer. If they wanted to click some circles during one meet-up, as of now they'd need that each one brings a computer and some headphones, since the music is not synched in online multiplayer lobbies - and don't get me started on mechanical keyboards, you can only have one per room if you want to hear yourself typing without hearing other players' echo. But, all these problems would not happen if they all played on a single pc. The global idea of this feature would be that several people could play on a single client simultaneously.

> So basically osu!mania's coop?
Beside the obvious fact that it is a mania only feature, osu!mania's coop is all about splitting a beatmap in two parts for two players. In local multiplayer, nothing is split: each player plays on their own, they're just sharing the same client to play. This is something usual in games like StepMania or Taiko no Tatsujin. Beware, these two videos are kinda loud and overall they just suck, but I don't find much examples of local multiplayer videos so that'll have to do.

> That's good and all, but would it be offline/unranked?
If the dead posts on this forum can learn us something, it's that osu!LAN is a big no-no: you won't see a multiplayer game that is not sending scores to Bancho whatsoever. Well that's great, because with this idea I'm not talking about going offline.Since everyone is playing on their own fair and square, it's technically acceptable to send each users' scores to Bancho upon completion of the beatmap.

> Isn't having multiple accounts forbidden?[/list]
As far as I'm concerned, the rules state that one is not allowed to create a secondary account; but as long as we're respecting that, you can use your account to connect to any osu! client, be it on your own computer, on a shared pc and so on. The Rules page on the Wiki seems down right now, gotta check again soon.

> Well why not. How could it work on a single pc?
While osu!mania and osu!taiko playfiels are very stackable and very easy to imagine as local multiplayer subjects, I believe every game mode can work on local multiplayer. I'll use the small amounts of graphical skills I have to show y'all how Local Multiplayer Might Change Your Life™.

osu!standard

A.K.A. "why I should never ever be allowed to draw animu"
Here we see Ben inviting Ryan over to play some osu!standard. While Ben plays with a keyboard and a mouse, Ryan prefers to use his tablet.
Firstly, local multiplayer or not, each player need a space to themselves. In this case, splitscreen is indeed an option to do just that : here, we even see that Ben tilted his monitor in portrait orientation so that two play fields fit on a single screen. That was a useless feature of his monitor until Local Multiplayer, so good thinking there Ben.
Secondly, each players need their own pointer to play. Believe it or not, but that's a perfectly realistic feat! Sotwares like Dicolab, ScreenHero or Pluralinput are already capable of emulating numerous pointers on a single pc. As long as Ben and Ryan can click independently on their own screen, they're good to go.

osu!taiko

This time, Ryan and Gary are using a TataCon, Ben sticks to its keyboard and Yann tries out a controller.
While we're at it, it might be necessary to map inputs on log in, but since osu doesn't need that much buttons it's not that much of a big deal.
Anyway, this also shows that local multiplayer might get along well with the Party Mod, just like how StepMania and Taiko no Tatsujin allow players to set their difficulty individually.

Mock-ups for other modes coming soon (I'm hella slow)
Eldergleam
several accounts on one clients that's mean 2 or more account can sign in into client?? :thinking:

i think peppy not implemented this (i think, let's see other user talk here)
O2MasterFX
What you're explaining is why we have coop. Coz multiple acc in single client is technically not allowed, so...

Nitrous
Applicable to other modes like Mania and Taiko but not for Standard and Catch. LAN would be viable too for those modes but I do believe that is already suggested. We'll see from the devs instead.
Eldergleam

O2MasterFX wrote:

What you're explaining is why we have coop. Coz multiple acc in single client is technically not allowed, so...

nah i agree with u, osu not allowed user make than two accounts or more in single client, so it's bad idea. and if u want, peppy implemented called co-op in osu!mania mode ;)
Topic Starter
Stalzak

Eldergleam wrote:

nah i agree with u, osu not allowed user make than two accounts or more in single client, so it's bad idea. and if u want, peppy implemented called co-op in osu!mania mode ;)
What is not allowed is to create multiple accounts for a single person. If you're borrowing a pc or using a shared pc, there is no restriction about how many accounts are allowed into a single client - as long as at any given point, an account is used by only a single person, and a person is using a single account.

-Nitrous wrote:

Applicable to other modes like Mania and Taiko but not for Standard and Catch. LAN would be viable too for those modes but I do believe that is already suggested. We'll see from the devs instead.
LANs are beyond the scope of this feature request, I'm only thinking about a single computer here. I mean, there are some configs out there with two screens, and some players are using joysticks. In cases like this, osu!standard and osu!catch might still work on a single client.

Edit: Tomorrow's an off-day, so I'll draw some more realistics mock-ups. I'll take a wild guess and wager that skins might be stored on the cloud based on Flynn's post right here; if that's indeed the case, it might even be possible for players to use their own skins even during local multiplayer sessions.
abraker
When the co-op mods first got introduced, everybody started screaming how that encourages two players to play the same ranked map. While this is a bit different, I believe people will start screaming something. Generally, this lessens the strictness of who plays on the one client a bit more.

It can work in theory, but I am skeptical of this feature in practice.
Kittyneko
Looks nice, it may be good for my 4 year old brother to play with me.
Sandy Hoey
How are players going to set up their equipment side by side so they both have a good view of the smaller screen. If you both use keyboards, this is going to be awful
Kittyneko

Sandy Hoey wrote:

How are players going to set up their equipment side by side so they both have a good view of the smaller screen. If you both use keyboards, this is going to be awful

Hmm... Thats a good question, miss. I don't know how to explain this. ill tell you later.
DeAider
would be fun however now you need to have 2 sound options, keyboard options, a enable shared screen mode, a good pc, a tiltable screen, more mouse options, having 2 song folders due to the fact that it will try to read from same folder and that can cause som issues. its a good idea but does not work unless you have all of those options. also windows key disabled wich mean that you need a razer keyboard now. you hade a good idea however if you dont know how you would be able to fix all of these problem then you really cant do this
best of luck from DeAid