forum

Keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PeaGuy
Im thinking of getting a new keyboard any recommendations on cherry mx red or mx brown keyboards under $90? Thanks in advance
Disillusionz
Logitech G610 (my keyboard) comes in cherry mx browns and reds and retails for ~$80 USD. I can definitely recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard-920-007839/dp/B01CDYB8AG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498938378&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+g610
Comfy Slippers
Seconding G610 browns. Downsides would be that it's plastic, and that they don't come extras like key pullers and some other"small stuff" (someone correct me if I'm wrong, pretty sure they don't though). Wouldn't expect TOO much, looking at the price. Even so, it's def. a nice keyboard.

Now, you're saying you either want reds or browns. Is there a reason behind this? Cause there's a noticeable difference in actuation force, one that might ruin your osu experience.
FuZ
SteelSeries 6Gv2

theres a black and red version
Hai Tai
$ko^zvl*xH7b9hDRxi_4Tx^OIbq4xL2c
Akanagi
If you can wait I'd just save money for a K70. It's reliable, comes with several option for switches, and (Atleast mine) seems to be indestructible.
[-CeMAqpOP-]kee

Rayne wrote:

If you can wait I'd just save money for a K70. It's reliable, comes with several option for switches, and (Atleast mine) seems to be indestructible.
why would u recommend a keyboard with detection issues LOL trust a 90k
Akanagi

Fser wrote:

Rayne wrote:

why would u recommend a keyboard with detection issues LOL trust a 90k
Yeah, because you wouldn't ever run into a faulty keyboard unless you chose the K70?
The K70 is fine, I have hundreds of hours and 0 issues with it.

Thinking osu! ranking translates into knowledge about any kind of keyboard. Don't know if you're just ignorant, an elitist, or just hating on a brand. Maybe all options apply.
But if we're playing by your rules: Hvick uses a k70, IIRC Angelsim does, too. Never heard them complain. You're just a 4 digit so how'd you know? xdd

TL;DR
Nothing wrong with K70. You can get a faulty model with every keyboard you buy.
Rurree
the k70 sucks imo coz it has wobbly switches and the brushed aluminum look is just annoying to deal with idk up to u
R34pling
I tried to play on pretty much all types of keyboards (even apple keyboards)
Apple and laptop (chiclets) keyboards are nice because you don't get really tired easily, but there is not a really long travel distance.
Standard membrane keyboards like a dell office keyboard has more travel but makes you feels tired after several plays.

Concerning mechanical switches:

There are 3 keyboard switches manufacturers:
Cherry MX: the standard of all mechanical switches
Kailh: cheaper version of cherry switches with cheaper materials.
Gateron: Sort of a clone of cherry but newer with a slightly different feel, those are my personal favorite.

Here comes the important part: switches

Blues have both a bump and an audible click when the switch is pressed to its actuation point. This is nice for typing (especially touch typing) since it’s a clear indication that you’ve pressed the switch. It’s great for avoiding “bottoming out,” meaning the switch is fully depressed, which can help reduce fatigue from typing over long periods of time. However, playing osu! is not the same as typing. The game is much more hectic and if you try to feel or listen to the click, you will be pulling your attention away from the game. Although, the nice and strong bump helps you if you need to "control" you clicks.

Brown are similar to blues but the bump is less noticeable and they are way more silent than blues. For typists, it feels weird because you can feel the bump but you don't hear anything, for osu!, I think they are the best because it offers a mid range between silent and tactile.

Reds are linear, which means pressing on the switch feels like pressing on a spring, for a typist they are terrible because there are no way to find where is the actuation point. For osu!, it may be an advantage since there is no bump, which results in faster actuations, but since I can't find the actuation point it is possible that I press the keys very quickly and register the key only once. Btw it can also get really loud if you press really hard on the keyboard.

Silent are the same as reds but it is stealthier and when you bottom out, you can feel like there is a dampener which I don't think are the best.

Speed switches are actually the ones I did not try since I don't think reducing the travel distance from 2 to 1.2 mm gives a real advantage when playing osu!. Think of it like an Ipad touch keyboard.

Yeah, I copy pasted what I wrote on another forum asking the same question

NB: Razer is not bad either.
a tenkeyless too.
Phosphorcracker
I wouldnt give too much about brands, aslong the build quality is nice the same switch will behave the same meaning a mx-red in a cherry product is as good as an mx-red in a huge name brand keyboard.

On a side note I recently stumbled upon something called lk or in full name light strike that advertises itself with a reaction time of 0.2ms or was it 2ms, while a mechanical switch has a 30ms delay. Or atleast they claim so. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with those types of keyboards yet ?