forum

[Archived] Osu! stuttery from time to time, can't find a solution

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Talmo
Hello

I have this problem since a very long time, and have done already a lot of research to fix this problem, but can't fix it.
When I don't have the problem, I can play osu! very smoothly (144 Hz so it's very smooth) but from time to time, my osu starts being very stuttery (especially the sliderballs and approach circles) for a couple of minutes, then it goes back to normal. My fps don't drop and my ms also don't go up on the fps counter. I think it has something to do with an update or something that happens several times per day, but i'm really not sure. Also, I didn't have this problem for about a month and a half, and now it came back. The bug really happens at really random moments when I'm playing. When I have the bug and I restart osu!, normally it will go away. This is very annoying if I have to restart my osu all over and over again... :/

I have a really good computer with good specs, so it probably won't be a performance issue.

Help would be appreciated a ton, since I've had this bug for a very long time.

Thx !

osu! version: 20170616.1 (latest)
Topic Starter
Talmo
Problem still persist, I don't think it has to do with a background program since I closed them when my osu was stuttery like I said, and it was still stuttery after closing the programs (synapse,logitech gaming, discord etc)
_Meep_
What windows are you on?
Did u upgrade to that current version or buy the computer with it?
Topic Starter
Talmo
Windows 10

And yes, I did upgrade immediatly after I bought it (Don't know if it was a good or bad choice to do that though).
Topic Starter
Talmo
After a bit of founding out, the bug can also happen mid song, my bad. Also changed brightness of my screen which was at 90%, to 100%. The bug still happens so it can't be from screen stuttering (i guess)...
Aver
This happens to me too idk what to do );
chvnnky
Same issue here on Windows7, feels like playing at 25fps while it displays 144.
If you have an external soundcard, try upping your sample rate in audio settings. 96khz minimized the stutter for me for some reason.

However it's not completely gone, appears randomly during gameplay for 2-5 seconds now. With my old samplerate, the stutter lasted for several minutes.
Topic Starter
Talmo

chvnnky wrote:

Same issue here on Windows7, feels like playing at 25fps while it displays 144.
If you have an external soundcard, try upping your sample rate in audio settings. 96khz minimized the stutter for me for some reason.

However it's not completely gone, appears randomly during gameplay for 2-5 seconds now. With my old samplerate, the stutter lasted for several minutes.
What do you mean by an external soundcard ? I don't really know much about soundcards, but yeah my headset is connected with USB and not with the special connections (which has 2 ports, one for the microphone and one for the headset), I don't know if this has anything to do with it ?

With Driverscloud, It says I have 2 multimedia cards :
1. Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
2. NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller

I either don't know which one I use for my headset, so yea. In my sound settings, my headset was already at the max quality : 16 bits, 48000 Hz, DVD Quality. Tell me how you went to 96 khz tho, or did I misunderstood you ?

But yea unfortunately, I'm not the only one having this issue but I do not feel alone now :d

chvnnky wrote:

feels like playing at 25fps while it displays 144.
This is EXACTLY what my issue is, so I think we have kind of the same problem.
chvnnky
Sorry, my soundcard is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (or to be more specific an Audio Interface) and I have my headphones plugged in there and all sound goes through there. The card allows me to set a very high sample rate, I think it goes up to 192khz. I don't think it's possible to go above 48khz with normal onboard sound, sorry.

You might have to find another workaround, I don't know if anything else exists sadly. I'm pretty sure it's not your pcs fault. Something's wrong with the game.
amax
this seems to be an issue for a lot of people (including myself) and it doesn't seem to hold a definitive solution at the moment.
Wolfer
I have the same issue, anyone figured out what's the problem?
Death
Close other programs you have running in the background, update/reinstall your graphics and audio drivers. Make a new thread if you are still having issues please, this one is a year old.