forum

Inherited Slider Tick Rate

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +87
Topic Starter
Hollow Delta
The slider tick rate's purpose is to keep the player focused on the beat. However, due to it's limitations mappers run into problems when it comes to accuracy and rankability.

The suggestion is to be able to use inherited lines (Commonly known as 'green' lines) to adjust the tick rate of sliders.

I'll give one example of when Inherited Slider Ticks would've been useful.: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/510958

This map above was ranked with 0.5 slider tick rate, which nothing in the criteria states you can change the tick rate to that legally. Granted I feel this was a better decision as the bpm matched up with the song, and if ticks were enabled the rhythm would mess up. While you can simply silence the ticks, they still visually imply there's something there, and it's not like mappers are allowed to make ticks invisible either via skin, as that's not allowed according to the criteria either. So if we can't change slider ticks rates to anything other than 1-4, a new guideline needs to be added stating tick rate can be changed through the .osu file if it more accurately represents the rhythm.

Not really an example, but one advantage to having 'Inherited Tick Rate' is Mappers can highlight 1/4 (Streams) in Easy. Easy's typically have a small combo counter, so the leaderboards don't have much fluctuation. Letting mappers adjust the tick rate will allow them to more accurately map the lower difficulties. As most mappers know, a lot of simplification (Mostly inaccurate) goes into mapping a song as simple as possible for the sake of letting new players enjoy it. Giving mappers the ability to change the ticks with inherited lines will allow them to more accurately map Easy difficulties.

To summarize, there's an issue with the fact mappers don't have complete control over the tick rate, thus causing inaccuracy and voiding of the criteria. This could be fixed by either changing one of the guidelines of the Ranking Criteria, or giving mappers the ability to control the tick rate better. (Through Inherited tick rate

Edit: Another use if this would be for marathon maps, as the same tick rate wouldn't apply to all songs.
7ambda
good
_Meep_
:ok_hand:
👌
Nitrous
This works
WingSilent
You got my support there.
Seijiro
Interesting
-Atri-
very well
Sixti
This is something I need.
StephOsu
if only i have stars to vote onto this
JustGrubdon
how do i make the slider tick rate less than 1?
Topic Starter
Hollow Delta

Announymus wrote:

how do i make the slider tick rate less than 1?

You change it in the .osu file. This suggestion isn't as necessary anymore because of changes to the ranking criteria. However, being able to change the tick rate mid-map would be helpful as well.
MisakiTobisawa-
You can achieve this effect with red lines (and corresponding green lines to maintain SV) but idk about rankability and I haven't found myself in a situation to want to change the tick rate in the middle of a map
xenal
Because this as been revived, time to say it was dupe and close it? https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/47451
Topic Starter
Hollow Delta

KotoriIsMyWaifu wrote:

You can achieve this effect with red lines (and corresponding green lines to maintain SV) but idk about rankability and I haven't found myself in a situation to want to change the tick rate in the middle of a map

xenal wrote:

Because this as been revived, time to say it was dupe and close it? https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/47451

Using red lines for the sake of stat-changes alone isn't allowed in the ranking criteria, older maps used red line / uninherited lines to do this at one point (Think of the 2009-2011 era of beatmaps) before it was disallowed by the ranking criteria.

^ That forum thread mentioned above is suggesting to allow different slider tick rates for uninherited lines (the red ones) which I feel would also be a great change as well, I'd upvote that one.

My suggestion here is to add a function in the editor to where you can change the slider tick rate through the use of the inherited lines (the green ones) because at the moment we can't use uninherited lines to change slider tick rate unless the timing of the song allows it to be lowered.
xenal
Fair enough.

Tho on the topic of red vs green lines... why not both, like hitsounds volume? I guess it would also be a request in his own thread, but similar how green is often required on the same tick as red on the first circle just to slow sv for intro and that's kinda stupid (why not set it in red).