forum

[Archived] Random Lag Spikes (Frame rate drops) Mid-Song

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cheezit
Problem Details:
The issue randomly started about a week back. I swapped back to fullscreen from borderless (even though it was working fine for months with it on), but that didn't seem to to anything. I never play with videos enabled and I keep most of the fancy graphic settings off (even though my computer could handle them all on anyways). I also haven't noticed any background programs that could be causing this. Anything will help because I'm all out of ideas here.

I know I didn't include too much so lemme know if you want some more specification. I'll do my best to provide any and all info you need to help resolve this issue.

Edit: Should also specify that the spikes are incredibly frequent. They happen enough where the game is pretty much unplayable.

osu! version: 20170616.1 (latest)
Venix
Tried restarting PC/turning on compatibility mode?
Topic Starter
Cheezit
Tried both with no luck
Venix
try to enable letterboxing, it's weird, but I've seen person for who it worked.
Topic Starter
Cheezit
I've always had that enabled :(
Kao
Try the step here p/6087031
Topic Starter
Cheezit
Hmm, it says it's rundll32.exe that's causing the spikes. Isn't that a windows program though? Very peculiar.
Kao
Right click on it and show the services? Does it show wuaserv in there?
That's windows update, might be a handle leak which is a common problem in windows 7
You can go disable it if you want and see if the ram it uses drops

This was for svchost.exe oops

But it looks like disabling windows update solves it as well
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... g-cpu.html

Press Ctrl + R and type services.msc and press enter
Find windows update and stop it or disable it, if memory usage drops that's the culprit
Topic Starter
Cheezit
Pausing wuaserv didn't seem to help. I looked again at the cpu usage of programs when the spikes happened and it hasn't been consistently the same one that spikes. Some of the times it was osu!.exe, some svchost.exe. I'm not sure those are the culprits though.
Kao
svchost.exe leaks are mostly from wuaserv which is windows update, instead of disabling the service, go to control panel and disable updates directly from there
Otherwise, try scanning your computer for viruses as a last resort
Topic Starter
Cheezit
I did a scan earlier today and nothing showed up. I disabled the automatic updates and I actually played through a song without any crippling frame drops. That may have just been a coincidence though. I'll keep watch; hopefully it's fixed now. Thanks for the help!
Kao
Does I/O in System Information show high usage other than from osu? Usually, when an antivirus is scanning, it uses high I/O operations and make osu! Lag since it's struggling to read the data of the songs
If not, and if it doesn't lag anymore, glad to see it fixed :)
Topic Starter
Cheezit
It's still lagging :(

My antivirus doesn't run unless my computer is idling so that won't be causing the problem. I also haven't noticed any programs hogging the cpu when osu! has been running.
Topic Starter
Cheezit
I'm looking at it now, and I don't even see any spikes in the graph after it just lagged in game...Just osu! chilling around 3-6%.