forum

So I'm moving out in less than two months !

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rena-chan
As topic says, I'm moving outing less than two months !
About time it is. But is there anything I should know according to you guys ?

This includes cats, cheese, and anything else you can think about !
Especially cats.
Firo Prochainezo
I don't know much, but all I can say is good luck o/
Shellghost
W-Where to?
FisHie_old
I want to move too. :o
Don't get lazy with your chores.
That's my only tip.
Good luck.
Kakarotto_old
OK.
Topic Starter
Rena-chan

Shellghost wrote:

W-Where to?
Somewhere around here !
Keksi
Nice near the beach :D
Firo Prochainezo
Are you moving out alone?
awp
What do you want to know about? There's a lot and a little to know, all at the same time, and just about all of it is common sense.

Like cats?

I don't know how it works in Foreign-land, but tenant-landlord contracts tend to have illegal clauses in them. Where I live, it is illegal to forbid tenants from owning pets, yet almost every contract includes a No-Pets clause. This is mostly to scare people who don't know any better. Landlords do not like it when tenants have pets like cats/dogs (increases wear on the furniture, as well as odors and stuff - they have to replace stuff more often if you keep a non-caged pet) so uh, keep that in mind.

Also, while cats are normally a safe bet, if you're living alone and working full-time, consider the fact that your pet is going to spend that much time alone every day, and that just doesn't work for dogs. Cats seem to be okay with it, but kittens not so much. Even when living on your own, you have to think about more than yourself.
SilentKiller
Make sure you have a job for one. Make sure you can pay your bills. Make sure you can keep yourself afloat. Its not easy at first when you get a house. Dont rent. Buy a house. Payments are nearly the same if not cheaper. I got mine for 600 a month. And its 3 bd 2 bath den and 2 car garage.
awp

SilentKiller wrote:

Make sure you have a job for one.
I had a place before I had a job :(

Getting a house is definitely better than renting an apartment though. I don't know where you're getting your numbers from (maybe just a fucked up state of real-estate over there) but around here, mortgage payments/bills on a house are roughly double to 2.5 times what rent for an apartment is - but a house is more than twice as awesome as an apartment and if you can find someone to split payment with you'd be mad not to. Considering house payments are an investment and rent payments are basically you throwing money away.
SilentKiller

awp wrote:

SilentKiller wrote:

I had a place before I had a job :(

Getting a house is definitely better than renting an apartment though. I don't know where you're getting your numbers from (maybe just a fucked up state of real-estate over there) but around here, mortgage payments/bills on a house are roughly double to 2.5 times what rent for an apartment is - but a house is more than twice as awesome as an apartment and if you can find someone to split payment with you'd be mad not to. Considering house payments are an investment and rent payments are basically you throwing money away.
Could be possibly due to TN being a cheaper area to live in. Had a old teacher that came from cali and he said the cost of living was alot cheaper.
What are mortgage rates like where your from?
Vext_old
Cats will piss on your clothes if you make them mad.
awp

SilentKiller wrote:

What are mortgage rates like where your from?
Quite variable where I live (for example the cost of single-apartment living shoots up about $100 everywhere if you go north like 7 km from where I live) but a mortgage rate on a 2 or 3 bedroom house? $1600/mth is probably not far off the mark.
Shiirn
Never go grocery shopping while hungry. Stop by a fast food joint before going if you need to - you'll spend less money overall.
Mimika_old
Clean your room and do your laundry. And use Febreze
boat
I almost sometimes miss living with mum and her eternal nagging about every single thing.
awp

failboat wrote:

I almost sometimes miss living with mum and her eternal nagging about every single thing.
if I could live with my parents for a couple months I would so do that :(
Topic Starter
Rena-chan

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

Are you moving out alone?
Yes. Well, I was going to, now things seem like I might end up moving out with a friend, thus ending up with loadsamoney.

SilentKiller wrote:

Entirely out of the question within the next two years. I'm some degree of banned from working due to my mental condition.
Also, I know exactly how much money I'm going to get, and I already know for a fact that it's enough to pay necessary bills etc. etc.

awp wrote:

Also, while cats are normally a safe bet, if you're living alone and working full-time, consider the fact that your pet is going to spend that much time alone every day, and that just doesn't work for dogs. Cats seem to be okay with it, but kittens not so much. Even when living on your own, you have to think about more than yourself.
That's the thing. I won't be having a job, at least for a long while, so being away from a pet for a long time like that isn't going to be an issue.
Corin
Try not to do what I did.

Manage your money wlel and you will be fine.
Nekoroll
Most everything isn't that much different from when you lived with other people. Common sense shit like clean after yourself and don't leave food or dishes out will make a lot of difference to the homeliness of your living environment. Trust me, I know people who have had vicious gnats in their apartment from leaving shit out so much. It isn't enjoyable at all.

Make sure to keep a list of your landlord and maintenance's numbers (and when they're available) somewhere convenient like on your fridge because sometimes things do and will go wrong at the most inconvenient times. Also ask about their pesticide schedule and how frequently they come to replace your air conditioner filters (or ask if they could give you a box of them to keep so you can replace them whenever you want).

Like many other people have already mentioned, if you have already established good money-management habits, keep them. If not, develop them now. Save up money each month in a savings/reserve for emergencies. 25% of your monthly income or more is a great start.

Also, always remember when your rent is due every month and pay it probably at least a few days before it's due. Sometimes the landlord may not always be there so it's good to give yourself some buffer time. Same with your utility bills, etc.

Also, I would advise to keep a bottle of bleach handy to dab on the pipes under your sinks every couple months as it prevents shit from growing on it.

And don't forget to clean out your fridge regularly too or else you'll have another Cowboy Bebop episode on your hands.

You also may want to consider apartment insurance if you have expensive shit.
SilentKiller

Nekoroll wrote:

You also may want to consider apartment insurance if you have expensive shit.

This^ Renters insurance is so cheap its not even funny. Theres no excuse not to have it for saftey.
Minty Gum
Hmm...I guess clean out all of your stuff? Because it's going to be packed and unpacked so you don't want to show up at your new house with boxes of junk and old stuff you don't need. Donate lots of stuff. Haha, I know, I literally moved in less than 2 weeks (that means hearing the announcement that we're moving across the country, going there to find a house, having about 3 days to pack, and getting over there.) If you have to go on a roadtrip with your cat and you think it will get hyper you can go to the vet and get medicine to calm it down. Well, that's mostly for dogs. Cats tend to sit around most of the day anyways.