forum

Earthquake Discussion?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kamure
5.8 magnitude. Happened about 30 minutes ago.
Places including the Pentagon has been evacuated but now it's fine.
I live in Southern New York so I felt the aftershock. Everyone on Facebook was freaking out because of an unusual but small shock.

NEWS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/alert-earthquake-rocks-central-virginia-dc-region/2011/08/23/gIQAMwvEZJ_blog.html

Thoughts?
Shellghost
And now the orgasm jokes can begin.
Nekoroll
Yeah, heard from my friends down in VA about it earlier. Nothing more to contribute. Everyone I know is fine.
Topic Starter
Kamure

Shellghost wrote:

Not sure about you, but I totally saw that coming.
07 Ghost
Praying for those guys over there.
Shiirn
5.8 is tiny
jjrocks
......guys don't worry, I live pretty close to the place where it happened. A couple of shakes, sortof hard to keep balance...that's about it. Apparently the whole inside of the house was shaking though. I was outside though, so maybe the story was different for those who were there.

Though people did evacuate the buildings, and all public schools were closed (even though school isn't in session though)
Dai
I hope everything is fine
Firo Prochainezo

Shellghost wrote:

It took me a while to understand this.
Cuddlebun
oh my god who cares
jjrocks
;w; Phone lines are still down, curse these worried people.
Pokebis
~*~*~*~Pray for Virginia~*~*~*~
Topic Starter
Kamure
Hmm, either my friends are overreacting from the aftershock and everything had a pretty insignificant effect or there was actually a big effect and we really should care for the victims from the 5.8 magnitude....

Shiirn wrote:

5.8 is tiny
Maybe....
UnderminE

Shiirn wrote:

5.8 is tiny
Okay we're living on the faultline in Istanbul so it is really tiny.
Shiirn
5.8 is tiny, hilo in hawaii got ones a bit over 5, sometime 6 every other year or so due to volcanic activity, suck it up~
Topic Starter
Kamure

UnderminE wrote:

Shiirn wrote:

5.8 is tiny
Okay we're living on the faultline in Istanbul so it is really tiny.
That makes sense, but this is something we are not used to.
Virginia is far away from any of the plate borders. Let alone where I am.
MMzz
I felt it lol.
ziin
I thought my air conditioner was broken.

Didn't know it was an earthquake until 15 minutes later.

Sonia Spence wrote:

I thought, 'What could be shaking the building like this?' My first thought was a terrorist

To be honest, this is the biggest earthquake I've ever felt ever since my brother and I jumped in an elevator in Japan.

I've never felt one from Tenessee, and it's apparently the biggest earthquake in the US since ~April last year. Glad I live here and not Istanbul or something.
Metroid
I wonder if anybody in PA felt it... I checked some news sites and some said NYC felt it... I didn't feel a thing... (I live in southeastern PA between VA and NYC) :L At least nobody was hurt... Though I've never felt a major Earthquake in my life. We are used to Floods, T storms, and high winds usually. Floods are usually more of property damage here since I live next to a major river. (Schuylkill river which empties into Delaware somewhere closer to Philly)
awp
"Where I live, things are worse" doesn't actually invalidate or lessen the impact of anything (it's all relative) so making that argument kind of makes you out to be a jackass.

I don't know how big a 5.8 is (it sounds insignificant) but we felt it up here. Well, everyone in my office except me. I didn't notice.
foulcoon
I caused an earthquake in the center of your mom's Virginia.

k
awp

foulcoon wrote:

I caused an earthquake in the center of your mom's Virginia.

k
I didn't feel that one

weaksauce
Shiirn
awp, it's not a matter of "it's worse here", it's a matter of "your pencils might fall off the desk, holy god"
OzzyOzrock
THE PEOPLE OF VIRGINIA MUST HAVE BEEN SOME REAL EARTHQUAKE VIRGIN(s) YA?

Ok that was very bad and I should feel bad please pelt me with hammers.
ouranhshc
UnderminE
chuck norris.
Shohei Ohtani

Cuddlebun wrote:

oh my god who cares
Silly Cuddlebun, you've forgotten the fitting video.

But hello my name is CDFA and I live in Calfornia. 5.8 isn't really "OH GOD WE ALMOST DIED." It's more like "Woah, that was odd. Better make sure nothing fell. Nothing? Ok. Back to not caring."
Firo Prochainezo
But hello my name is CDFA and I live in Calfornia. 5.8 isn't really "OH GOD WE ALMOST DIED." It's more like "Woah, that was odd. Better make sure nothing fell. Nothing? Ok. Back to not caring."
You just described a little bit of California.

Nice.
Hika
I didn't feel shit.. I think.
awp

Shiirn wrote:

awp, it's not a matter of "it's worse here", it's a matter of "your pencils might fall off the desk, holy god"
If pencils can fall, electronics can fall

what if our server farm toppled over? That could cost tens of thousands of dollars in repairs and tenfold more in downtime.
Cuddlebun
it's hard to forget something I never have watched and never will watch
Vext_old
JJ lives, now I'm not interested anymore.
ouranhshc
Weez
So this was felt all the way in Ontario...I felt NOTHING.
Shiirn

awp wrote:

Shiirn wrote:

If pencils can fall, electronics can fall

what if our server farm toppled over? That could cost tens of thousands of dollars in repairs and tenfold more in downtime.
what if you tripped and fell on the power cable and broke the entire thing? just about as likely.
awp
there isn't a lot of traffic through server farms

they're not exactly out in the open or anything they get their own temperature-controlled little office
Sorun

Shiirn wrote:

5.8 is tiny, hilo in hawaii got ones a bit over 5, sometime 6 every other year or so due to volcanic activity, suck it up~
I believe the biggest was a 6.7? During that earthquake I was on the kona side. Oh and the recent tsunami scare was pretty fun.
jjrocks

Vext wrote:

JJ lives, now I'm not interested anymore.
I'm an earthquake survivor <3~
show more