forum

The future of OT

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
With the strict rules in place by Lord Farquaad, the entire subforum took an unexpected twist with a future now very different than what I thought it would be just a few day ago. Just a few days ago was the OT civil war, the great debate over what is quality which spawned into OT denizens fighting themselves over how to promote quality. Oldfag's approach to get rid of any shit and newfag's approch to make more quality and leave shit alone. Sad to say, the oldfags won. Lord Farquaad ended it all by placing in rules that slowed OT down to a near halt and prevented OT denizens to shitpost.

Why is the oldfag approach wrong? Consider this: How often do we see threads that would be not considered utter shit? Not often enough. OT became a meta circlejerk, but frankly that's the only think that kept it alive and allowed the OT denizen population to increase. We had something to talk about, be it about how the OP should die because the shitpost sucks or some other thing that makes little no coherent sense. Now with those threads gone via Farquaad's shit filter, there are so few new threads being made.

Who is going to make threads which will allow OT denizens to post in now? You can create one thread a day. There are so many OT denizens, most of which don't know what thread to make which would allow it to flourish. The ones that do exist do not interest many to post in. Birthday thread? Post a dancing loli and move on. Start posting shit? Lord Farquaad's lock hammer. With no opportunity to interact, OT denizens will leave to places where they can. Many will leave for either GD and take their chances there or keep hitting F5 in G&R until they get something to farm post count.

Quality in OT should be achieved with shitposts around. That's the static noise inherent to OT. Shitposts allows us to know and spend time with one another. Through this interaction we created a culture unique to OT. We can't have quality without shitposts if the lack of shitposts will make everyone leave. Going from here, the rules will choke OT until only a few threads like ITT2 remain with pages going to 100+
roshan117
waiting for tae response
Railey2
I wish that whoever started this bullshit conflict would just take a step back and see what he's caused.

This proves again: Nothing good comes from shit like this. At the end everyone just ends up unhappy. Well done for ruining OT, asshole! Well done.
Stefan
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DaddyCoolVipper

Railey2 wrote:

I wish that whoever started this bullshit conflict would just take a step back and see what he's caused.

This proves again: Nothing good comes from shit like this. At the end everyone just ends up unhappy. Well done for ruining OT, asshole! Well done.
you were one of the biggest instigators of this drama
KupcaH
Sad
Foxtrot

Railey2 wrote:

remember the thread "newfags vs oldfags"? that was you in case you forgot
Qiyana
i predict, johnmedina999 will win president of ot and will be assassinated by the edgy flanster
Tae

roshan117 wrote:

waiting for tae response
nah I got what I wanted (besides serious discussion going to GD) so I'm done with this topic now
Railey2

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

you were one of the biggest instigators of this drama
nonsense, i would never do such a thing!

But the person that was, you know, REALLY responsible. That person should be banned forever. Or better: Doxxed and killed IRL
Foxtrot
man, aren't you extra edgy today
Railey2
You think my call for justice is edgy?? I just want that the people that started this are held accountible! I mean look at this mess: A temporary decrease of new threads is such a serious threat to all of OT, i think we need to take action here.
B1rd
Who were these so-called oldfags asking for restrictions advocating for restrictions on posting being put in place? I have always advocated against any restrictions. But regardless, to put thing in perspective, it's just a drama of little consequence - and it would remain such if mods like Ephemeral didn't get involved and create new arbitrary posting restrictions.
Railey2
I think if we applied the rules of the free market to this problem, we could solve it rapid fast
Fhaye
The future is dark
kai99

Railey2 wrote:

I think if we applied the rules of the free market to this problem, we could solve it rapid fast
B1rd
That's pretty much. Free market principles won't exactly "fix" all the problems, neither will all of these arbitrary rules and regulations which makes things even worse. Like most things of this nature, it doesn't address the fundamental root causes behind the problem, it is just a band-aid solution. The content is derived from the community; people post what they like, and associate with other people who post like them. The community self regulates, as content will reflect what the community or parts of the community enjoy; people shitpost because they enjoy doing that, they don't post "quality" because they don't enjoy doing that. And that's not a problem because, previously at least, we haven't been operating under a democracy: we don't say that everyone has to post one type of content because 51% of posters do, people are free to associate with the type of content they want to in their own threads, with little inconvenience to anyone else. People vote with their posts, so to speak. And you are also free to ostracise those who post content you don't like. The system was fine how it was. But now however, apparently due to a vocal minority and an overbearing mod, we now are forcing out certain content and thus users, for no good reason. Basically just "fuck you, I don't like you so you have to leave". If you want to make OT "valhalla" again, then what you need to do is get better users, or encourage existing posters to post better content. Incidentally, one of the reasons most of the oldfags left to Tuuba was because of mods making it difficult for users in OT. Let's not make that mistake again.
Topic Starter
abraker
Question I'd like to ask to Ephemeral: Did you intend to suffocate OT and slowly kill it? If not, you made a mistake. If so, realize what you are destroying. And no, you are not destroying garbage us shits made, you are destroying something a lot bigger than that. Perhaps you went out of touch with OT quite some time ago and are not aware what it has evolved to.

But maybe you are aware and don't care so long as the mods don't have to work overtime and we don't complain about shit. What do I know?
Railey2
B1rd you said it yourself. All these regulations make things worse and don't address the root of the problem. However the opposite would actually give us the chance to self-regulate ourselves into becoming a great community.

Imagine two scenarios.

A) Everyone gets soda and can decide what soda they like or not. If they don't like a type of soda, they don't have to take it.
B) Everyone gets soda, but some people can't get the type of soda that they want anymore because the upper echelon decided to ban it.

Now which one is closer to communism???

It's clear that we need option A), which is the equivalent of the free market. The users create their own supply and demand without interference. In B) the supply gets controlled in an effort to change the demand, which is bad because it undermines the user's freedom.

In other words: We need the free market. Option A). This is the only way we can actually get good quality long-term. If you force it out with B), it'll just collapse as soon as you look away.

The free market is our only option.

PS: if OT dies I will shoot myself and it's gonna be Ephemerals fault xd
kai99

B1rd wrote:

then what you need to do is get better users, or encourage existing posters to post better content.
this is what i agree with.
OT always had bad threads and will continue to have bad threads. it's how OT is and im sure Eph is aware of that. it's just that there's been a lack of good shitposters like wojjan, and that's made it feel as if the overall thread quality has decreased, hence this situation. forcing people to make good threads aren't gonna do it. as vipper said, effort does necessarily mean quality and good threads can come with low effort. however, there aren't that many people that can do that among the current OTers.
Naimae

Railey2 wrote:

A) Everyone gets soda and can decide what soda they like or not. If they don't like a type of soda, they don't have to take it.

Railey2 wrote:

A) Everyone gets soda

Railey2 wrote:

It's clear that we need option A), which is the equivalent of the free market

hmmm :thinking:
Railey2
well technically you pay for the soda. With the time and energy it takes to read and post in the thread. And the reward for the soda producer is that they get the clicks and comments on their thread, which gives them affirmation.
DJ Enetro
Well explained. Doesn't mean that people will listen to you though.
Naimae

Railey2 wrote:

well technically you pay for the soda. With the time and energy it takes to read and post in the thread. And the reward for the soda producer is that they get the clicks and comments on their thread, which gives them affirmation.

So then communism doesn't have anything to do with any of this, and the metaphor should be a free market versus a regulated market. And as glorious as a free market might sound, it won't work when there is virtually no cost to making a post. Now that strikes exist, people can't just spam blatantly retarded threads that have like a single word in the OP and have to actually think just a little bit more about the shitpost they're about to make.

Probably the only actually bad rules are the serious discussion rule, since whether something is serious or semi-serious is completely subjective to the mod and you could be pretending to be serious when you are actually just pretending to be retarded, and the one thread a day rule, but I think this only went up because people were making retarded threads with one word OPs anyway.

It's not as if you're not allowed to shitpost as a reply to a thread either. Shitpost without context has no meaning, anyway.
Railey2
Hey now I didn't say that it was communism, but you have to agree that more and more regulations make OT more and more communist.

Only the free market can save us
Naimae
Commuism: a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs [Google].

:thinking:

the analogue to commuism isn't even free market
Railey2
You won't be saying that once you live under the rule of our new COMMUNIST overlords.
show more