forum

Slider follow circle size

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blimmo
How large is the actual follow circle?

As in how far away does the cursor have to be from the slider tick to miss it?

I assume this will be a proportion of the circle size. Judging by the visual, it would appear to be between 1 and 2 times CS. But gameplay tests I've done seem to suggest something more like 3 times.

Any information will be gratefully received as this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
autoteleology
Skinner here.

The hitcircle is ~236px diameter for the HD image, give or take a pixel or less, it's not exact. The HD version is 2x the width and height of the SD image

sliderb0 (the slider image) is exactly 512px for the HD image.

So, to answer your question, the slider image is roughly 2.17x the size of the hitcircle, assuming they are scaled the same - can check in a bit when I get off work.

ON a side note, With both of these the canvas/transparent area can be whatever size, the image renders positioned at the center of the render point and scaling is not affected by image size - the image is always rendered at full size and then scaled down by the ratio the CS demands, so you can have as much transparent area as you want in the image, the actual game logic is not affected by the image (the image can be 1x1 transparent and it still works the same).

If you want to help me help other people, click this and give me your opinion: t/604654
Topic Starter
blimmo
Thanks for the help Philosofikal, but that's not quite what I wanted to know.

The cursor doesn't have to be within the slider ball at the time of the slider tick to hit it, it only has to be within the slider follow circle (sliderfollowcircle.png in skins).

I had hoped that the size of this skin element would be the correct size, however in playtests I could move my cursor quite a ways beyond the confines of the follow circle before I started missing ticks.

Hopefully that makes it obvious what I'm asking
Drezi
~2.4x circle radius based on my tests.
autoteleology

blimmo wrote:

The cursor doesn't have to be within the slider ball at the time of the slider tick to hit it, it only has to be within the slider follow circle (sliderfollowcircle.png in skins).
Ah, to clarify, I actually basically meant that the dimensions of the outer slider follow circle are meant to be 512px, and that I actually just use sliderb0 instead since it doesn't dynamically rescale depending on how long or or little you have been holding down the slider (I don't know if the follow circle is actually representative of the slider hitbox in that regard, so I choose to use an element with a similar function, without the distracting resizing effect).

If you are implying that the default skin's slider follow circle is not actually perfectly representative of the slider hitbox, I wouldn't know anything about that. All I know is the dimensions of the default skin elements. If you could make a map for me to test, I'd be happy to find out (since it also benefits my skinning to have a more accurate element).