forum

Ouendan/EBA Authenticity Request Wishlist

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
*edits a lot*
*looks back at OP*

Dang. :P

I haven't played EBA or Ouendan 2 for almost a year, and frankly, I'm having fun replaying it right now. osu! has the most potential than the original games (peppy + game idea = worldwide attraction), but it just seems to lack some of the little details that define osu! as the perfect Ouendan/EBA simulator.

So anyway, I'm gonna build up a list of requests here, so the Feature Request forum doesn't get spammed by me. I look for these small details by playing through EBA and Ouendan 2, so I'll confirm whether the details happen in both games, or just one. I don't have Ouendan 1, so it'll be appreciated if that request is confirmed in that game by someone else.

Note: I do realize that osu! is straying away from a real Ouendan/EBA sim. We mostly have a two in one sim (taiko in the mix), and I also overheard someone (most likely peppy) in the last community meeting that osu! isn't an Ouendan/EBA simulator anymore. Although it revolves around the original formula, making it better (but not too different) is the main goal of this sim (at least, imo). So, if there's some request that would make osu! look plain stupid or graphically worse, I'll accept that, and it's pretty much peppy's call if that certain request would happen.

And, if there's stuff I missed (I'm sure), go ahead and post, and I'll edit it into the OP. Or edit it in yourself if you're a mod. >_> BTW, I won't remove any stuff from the list (most of the time). I'll simply strike it, mark as done, etc. When osu! 1.0 is done, we'll have something to look at for any unwanted & authentic discrepancies.

orange = done
green = may not do (by personal preference)/up to debate
blue = pending/up to debate
red = a straight out "NO."

Slider Tick Score Positioning *IDK...*

I carefully observed a slider, and I noticed that each 10 and 30 of the slider tick gives out different behavior. Pretend that there is a straight slider, going from bottom to top. When it starts, a 30 rises from the center of the slider's beginning to the space to the left of the slider beginning. For each tick, 10's pop out to the left of the slider. And the slider's end has the 30 rise to the space on top of the end circle.
When a slider is going from top to bottom, the beginning 30 pops to the right, as do the 10's, and the last 30 pops upward.
When a slider goes from right to left, the end 30 pops upward, as usual. 10's fly to the bottom side of the slider, along with the beginning 30..
This means that the beginning 30 and all the 10's are always flying 270° clockwise (90° counter-clockwise) of the slider ball's direction. (So if the ball's going north, 10's pop out left, east is up, south is right, west is down, northeast is top left, etc...) In short, it's to the left of the ball.
When there are repeats in a slider, the 30's act differently. In a slider w/o a repeat, the end 30 always rises upward. When a repeat appears, the second 30 rises upward as usual, but the next 30 follows the first 30's behavior (as in the 270° rule). Also, since the slider ball has changed direction, so do the 10's. They now fly to the other side of the slider.
If a slider has two repeats, a pattern follows for the 30's. Beginning 30 follows the 10's, the second 30 goes upward, the third 30 goes with the 10's, and the forth goes upward.

Therefore, slider tick scores shoot out like so: the beginning 30 is always 270° clockwise from the ball's direction, and so do all the 10's. The rest of the 30's follow a pattern of up, then 270°, then up, then °, and so on.

Also, all the slider tick scores are shown on top of the slider, but underneath a beat's score. (That means the 10's and 30's are always visible except under a 300, 100, 50, katu, etc.) It will show for a split second on top of the slider ball, but be invisible until the slider ball no longer covers it.

Confirmed in EBA and Ouendan 2.

EDIT: Formula fixed.
Unrelated request: have something in skin.ini that lets the slider ticks have the original behavior in osu! as of now.

2nd Unrelated request: instead of 10's popping out 270° clockwise from the ball's direction all the time, have it so the position changes by 30° for each slider tick. After 12 ticks, the 10's would have made a complete circle, and it kinda looks like spreading fireworks. :P

Shaking Screen w/ combobreak *Done?* (notes shake = background shake?)

When the Ouendan/Agents fall from a missed slider tick/X, the bottom screen's background, along with the ki bar, will shake violently in a range of about 5 pixels (on the DS screen) for around a second. You can see a black background underneath the real background while it's shaking.

Implement this when combobreak.wav sounds, so that it happens only when a combo is broken above 30?

BTW, don't do this for beatmaps for video (unless using NoVideo mod). It'll lag and frustrate. =/

Combo Counter's "x" *IDK...*

When the combo counter increases, only the numbers fade in, not the "x". This applies to the "連" in the Ouendan games.

EDIT: Also, for the combo counter, the numbers fade in on top of itself, not behind. DONE

Button Fading/Animations *Declined*

Have an option in the skin.ini flie to make (animated) buttons keep their original opacity, and not fade when the cursor isn't placed on top of the buttons.

This would be for skip buttons for the EBO and Ouendan 2 skins; skip buttons could blink like in the original (two frames, one the button and the other none), and won't fade ingame.

Option to move combo counter *Declined*

Just put something in Options to switch the positioning of the combo counter. Pretty much useless, except for tablet PC peeps. Also, when the combo increases, the numbers always fade in from right to left, no matter what side the counter is on.

About Missing a Slider End *IDK...*

Currently, in osu!, if you miss a slider's end (not repeat), it will not break the combo counter, nor will it add to the combo counter. In Ouendan/EBA, however, missing a slider end and getting a 100 or 50 will still add to the counter. Here's how it works...
If a slider has no ticks nor repeats, and the beginning of the slider was touched, but not the end, then the counter will raise by two. If a slider has ticks, and the whole slider is missed, then the missed slider end does not add to the counter. However, if a tick, repeat, or beginning is right before the end, and that is successfully cleared, the counter will count that tick/repeat/beginning AND the end, even though it is missed. Therefore, if the end of the slider is missed, it will only add to the counter if there was a tick/repeat/beginning before it that was touched successfully. In the original games, missing a slider end never meant not adding +1 to the combo counter. Therefore, you don't need 300's on all sliders in order to get a "PERFECT!" comment on the results.

Was it done on purpose, that in osu!, a missed slider end won't add or break the combo counter?
If it was on purpose, then I'll strike the idea.

If it wasn't, and peppy's planning on changing it, how will the ranked plays be recalculated? Will the system be fixed, then the replays will be run again on a nonlagging computer (to avoid score miscalcs) to recalculate to score, then resubmitted? Or will each replay be manually recalculated?

This request = Complete Score Reset...

I will eventually make a new topic in Feature Requests for this idea, not as a request for peppy, but really a poll for everyone about how to handle this new element...

Confirmed in all three games.

Slider Coloring Done

The path of the sliders are supposed to be transparent, and have tube-like coloring; the middle is more light and transparent, while the sides are the darker shades of that hitcircle's color.

(Sorry this was linked from PB. Should I upppy it?)

EDIT: This pic also shows the blue orbs and the slider tick score ideas. ^_^

This seems more uniform when played in OpenGL renderer, so I guess I'll count as done for now? =/

*IGNORE*
fdtoonsman
o_______O

Wow.

You're sure naming specifics.
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
I probably missed a lot, too. o_O

Oooh. I got another one. Editing...
Gemi
Oh no, shaking screen... That's about as bad as pippi jumping from the side, but atleast this one would come to ruin your game when your doing badly, unlike pippi who comes when you're actually doing well.

Otherwise I'm neutral on the things that you ask for.
peppy

YoshiKart wrote:

I haven't played EBA or Ouendan 2 for almost a year, and frankly, I'm having fun replaying it right now. osu! has the most potential than the original games (peppy + game idea = worldwide attraction), but it just seems to lack some of the little details that define osu! as the perfect Ouendan/EBA simulator.
Well it isn't really a 100% accurate simulator, and was never meant to be, (and never will be) but...

YoshiKart wrote:

Slider Tick Score Positioning

I carefully observed a slider, and I noticed that each 10 and 30 of the slider tick gives out different behavior. Pretend that there is a straight slider, going from bottom to top. When it starts, a 30 rises from the center of the slider's beginning to the space to the left of the slider beginning. For each tick, 10's pop out to the left of the slider. And the slider's end has the 30 rise to the space on top of the end circle.
When a slider is going from top to bottom, the beginning 30 pops to the right, as do the 10's, and the last 30 pops upward.
When a slider goes from right to left, the end 30 pops upward, as usual. 10's fly to the bottom side of the slider, along with the beginning 30..
This means that the beginning 30 and all the 10's are always flying 270° clockwise (90° counter-clockwise) of the slider ball's direction. (So if the ball's going north, 10's pop out left, east is up, south is right, west is down, northeast is top left, etc...)
When there are repeats in a slider, the 30's (except for the beginning 30) act differently. In a slider w/o a repeat, the end 30 always rises upward. When a repeat appears, the second 30 rises upward as usual, but the next 30 goes downward instead. Also, since the slider ball has changed direction, so do the 10's. They now fly to the other side of the slider.
If a slider has two repeats, a pattern follows for the 30's. Beginning 30 follows the 10's, the second 30 goes upward, the third 30 goes downward, and the forth goes upward.

Therefore, slider tick scores shoot out like so: the beginning 30 is always 270° clockwise from the ball's direction, and so do all the 10's. The rest of the 30's follow a pattern of up, then down, then up, then down, and so on.

Also, all the slider tick scores are shown on top of the slider, but underneath a beat's score. (That means the 10's and 30's are always visible except under a 300, 100, 50, katu, etc.) It will show for a split second on top of the slider ball, but be invisible until the slider ball no longer covers it.
Not sure how this will look, but I'm pretty happy with the current behaviour.

YoshiKart wrote:

Unrelated request: have something in skin.ini that lets the slider ticks have the original behavior in osu! as of now.

2nd Unrelated request: instead of 10's popping out 270° clockwise from the ball's direction all the time, have it so the position changes by 30° for each slider tick. After 12 ticks, the 10's would have made a complete circle, and it kinda looks like spreading fireworks. :P

Shaking Screen w/ combobreak

When the Ouendan/Agents fall from a missed slider tick/X, the bottom screen's background, along with the ki bar, will shake violently for around a second. You can see a black background underneath the real background while it's shaking.
I think this is a good one to add, but watch the complaints fly in when I add this one :P.

YoshiKart wrote:

Implement this when combobreak.wav sounds, so that it happens only when a combo is broken above 30?

Combo Counter's "x"

When the combo counter increases, only the numbers fade in, not the "x".
The whole animation is different on ouendan. Not sure I plan on changing this.

YoshiKart wrote:

Button Fading/Animations

Have an option in the skin.ini flie to make (animated) buttons keep their original opacity, and not fade when the cursor isn't placed on top of the buttons.

This would be for skip buttons for the EBO and Ouendan 2 skins; skip buttons could blink like in the original (two frames, one the button and the other none), and won't fade ingame.
No

YoshiKart wrote:

Option to move combo counter

Just put something in Options to switch the positioning of the combo counter. Pretty much useless, except for tablet PC peeps. Also, when the combo increases, the numbers always fade in from right to left, no matter what side the counter is on.
No

YoshiKart wrote:

About Missing a Slider End

Currently, in osu!, if you miss a slider's end (not repeat), it will not break the combo counter, nor will it add to the combo counter. In Ouendan/EBA, however, missing a slider end and getting a 100 or 50 will still add to the counter. Here's how it works...
If a slider has no ticks nor repeats, and the beginning of the slider was touched, but not the end, then the counter will raise by two. If a slider has ticks, and the whole slider is missed, then the missed slider end does not add to the counter. However, if a tick, repeat, or beginning is right before the end, and that is successfully cleared, the counter will count that tick/repeat/beginning AND the end, even though it is missed. Therefore, if the end of the slider is missed, it will only add to the counter if there was a tick/repeat/beginning before it that was touched successfully. In the original games, missing a slider end never meant not adding +1 to the combo counter. Therefore, you don't need 300's on all sliders in order to get a "PERFECT!" comment on the results.
This can't change now because it would mean a total score reset, pretty much. I'm willing to have a separate thread discussing this change if you feel strongly though.

YoshiKart wrote:

Confirmed in all three games.

Was it done on purpose, that in osu!, a missed slider end won't add or break the combo counter?
If it was on purpose, then I'll strike the idea.

If it wasn't, and peppy's planning on changing it, how will the ranked plays be recalculated? Will the system be fixed, then the replays will be run again on a nonlagging computer (to avoid score miscalcs) to recalculate to score, then resubmitted? Or will each replay be manually recalculated?
zzz
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
Edited OP with two more requests, and some stuff strikethoughed.
xerxes_oli
umm i have a suggestion/question arent the sliders suppose to be transparent you kno the line between the two beats,well i dont kno if its not possible to make it transparent or peppy forgot about that but yeah.....
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
Very true.

It's sort of a tube-like coloring; it's light in the middle and dark on the outer sides.
xerxes_oli

YoshiKart wrote:

Very true.
<3 yoshi~
peppy
The current sliders ARE actually transparent - look closely. That said, I like their current design and chose it after experimentation, including using higher transparency. Allowing every colour in the rainbow is another issue - as they dont all look good with transparency added, and with such a wide specstrum gradient as in ouendan. Therefore I don't want to change the current colouring.

Not a technical isue, just personal preference. Feel free to debate.
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
OP is now more colorful...

peppy wrote:

The whole animation is different on ouendan. Not sure I plan on changing this.
I checked a RSG video; even though it's not an "x" (don't know the name for it... translation plz?), it still does not fade in like the numbers.
And I also confirmed it on EBA and Ouendan 2.

So whatever "different whole animation" you're talking about, I probably missed it altogether. :o
xerxes_oli
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

peppy
The lines are actually transparent. As I said, I quite like this look, but it seems you don't.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
xerxes_oli

peppy wrote:

The lines are actually transparent. As I said, I quite like this look, but it seems you don't.
well i don't like the lines because i don't see how that adds "transparency"

and would like to be able to see the picture/video/character behind the slider like you do on the oto2 and eba.
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
I don't remember notes shaking when the combo breaks, but if the background (not video; that's harsh) and the ki bar will shake, then I'll mark "Shaking Screen w/ combobreak" as done.

Adding my new ideas in...
Hyperworm

YoshiKart wrote:

I checked a RSG video; even though it's not an "x" (don't know the name for it... translation plz?)
The kanji used after the numbers in Ouendan is 連 (ren, here "chain/combo").
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
Thanks a bunch! Adding in.

BTW, know the "score" kanji from the top screen?
Topic Starter
YoshiKart
Getting rid of notes shaking is ok, but the idea of the background/ki bar shaking still stands.
Behon
I'm not sure about the idea of the blue orbs. On the DS they work, but I feel that without the top screen they go to it would just be distracting. If it is implemented, it'd be nice if they could be toggled on and off.
Hyperworm

YoshiKart wrote:

BTW, know the "score" kanji from the top screen?
Yeah, that's 得点 (tokuten). :)
show more