forum

[Archived] Problems about the cursor lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
leong124
Recently I've reinstalled my desktop, but I find a problem.
My cursor freezes and shows that it is hitting the notes slowly when there's many notes and I try to use the keyboard to hit them.
I tried to limit the frame rate to 120 FPS, but it doesn't help. If I limit it to 60, the cursor will have some obvious moving delay (same for 120FPS, but less delay). If I don't limit the frame rate there's no delay, but the cursor freezes as mentioned above.

It is quite weird for me because it doesn't occur before reinstalling my computer. Drivers of the CPU and graphic card are installed correctly. It doesn't help even with GameBooster.

Here're some of my spec:
CPU: AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.54GHz (Previously 1.68GHz, but my new HDD cannot run at that FSB)
Graphic card: AMD HD 2400 Pro AGP w/ 256MB DDR2 700/420MHz
Motherboard: ASUS K8V-MX
Hard disk: Seagate ST-3500418AS SATA3 @ SATA1 (I was using WD 40GB IDE before the reinstallation, but it was going to break that it reads very slow)

The problem seriously affect my gaming that I can't hit the notes. Please help me, thanks.
Intermezzo
I presume what you mean to say that as soon as you try to hit notes with your keyboard, your mouse cursor lags and your hits register slowly.
This is most probably caused by some IME helper software you installed.
You see this kind of software does message hooks like WH_MOUSE_LL and WH_KEYBOARD_LL, and when the processing takes too long it will delay message parsing, thus your mouse movement will register slowly or sporadically.

To detect the causing application download this app.
Look under ring3 hooks and check if any application hooks WH_KEYBOARD_LL.
if you see applications hooking it, disable them one by one (by pressing unhook) and testplay osu! until your issue is resolved.
Note: This will cause the unhooked application to not function correctly until you reboot.
Topic Starter
leong124
I can't find that.
Sorry for my bad English, but what I mean is that I can't move my cursor when many hit circles appears and I press the key "z" and "x" frequently. At that moment the game runs smoothly, just my cursor cannot move.
Before reinstalling Windows XP I don't have this problem.
Intermezzo
If you have many beats and use alternate clicking instead of 'z' and 'x' do you still get this issue?
Topic Starter
leong124
Sometimes but not always.
Using either keyboard or mouse have this issue.
Timekiller
Oh, I have the same cursor lags. Never thought that reason could be IME, totally forgot I installed it at the same time when lags appeared. But abovementioned app doesn't show any application hook WH_MOUSE_LL or WH_KEYBOARD_LL, is that really the right way to find app causing the mess?
Intermezzo

Timekiller wrote:

Oh, I have the same cursor lags. Never thought that reason could be IME, totally forgot I installed it at the same time when lags appeared. But abovementioned app doesn't show any application hook WH_MOUSE_LL or WH_KEYBOARD_LL, is that really the right way to find app causing the mess?
These are the most used hooks, but there are other methods. I presume your IME helper uses IAT or inline hooks. Could you look in xuetr under root3 hooks -> process hooks, and scan osu!.exe and export the display and attach it here.
Timekiller
Well, I use the IME that comes bundled with winXP, I didn't even knew there're others, since I only started on Japanese recently.
Screenshot:
Results as a text file:
http://puu.sh/4BZh

Also noticed something interesting, lags reduce to nothing when some window is maximized in background, but when osu runs together with minimized windows... well, slide show.
Thank you for helping me!
Topic Starter
leong124
This is my scan results:http://pastebin.com/nGVx8MPE
I guess if we can stop ctfmon.exe, there will be no lag.
I'll try that.

Edit:
Stopping ctfmon.exe helps a little, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Sometimes it lags as hell, while sometimes it doesn't lag at all :/

Timekiller: For me, it still lags while no other windows are opened.

Edit2:
Seems that if I change the CPU schedule to optimise for programs instead of background processes, the cursor doesn't lag.
It can be found in My Computer -> preferences -> advanced -> performance -> settings -> advanced -> CPU schedule.
I don't use use the English version of Windows so I just translate the names.

It should be solved, thanks.