1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
show more
posted
Reading jumps isn't as much about seeing the circles as it is knowing the precise moment your cursor can leave each circle to move to the next. If you find yourself focusing too much on the circles you are currently moving towards it means you lack the precision timing that buys you the time to determine the location of the next circle as well as to leisurely move your cursor to each circle with the confidence that you have plenty of time before you need to click.
posted
Now I'm not doing any cross-screen jumps. My jumping ability is sufficient for maps like Wahrheit or Shotgun Senorita, but I miss quite a few jumps on maps like Astral Dogma.



I do it like this, though.

Endaris wrote:

Move away from your screen or reduce your resolution + sensitivity to get the circles into your periphery.
Then just snap to the notes with your eyes and let your cursor follow.
^
I just notice the notes from the corner of my eyes / periphery and then my muscle memory takes over and I just jump to it without directly looking to it unless I notice that the general area of play has moved there as well (Which it doesn't for most jumps as they just do some pattern over a larger area.)


Maybe it's just a different playstyle and / or my eyesight being slow af, but I can't dart around with my eyes to look at every single note of a jump (How would that work on higher BPM without losing track of everything else?)



So just try to get proper distance to your monitor. I play full area and fullscreen 1920/1080 myself and it works out for your usual 5*-5,5* maps. Only maps like Astral Dogma (7*) are dodgy but I reckon this is more because of my lack of muscle memory for high BPM cross-screen jumps rather than my reading for jumps being bad or wrong.



I might be wrong, though.



TL;DR
I just play out of the corner of my eyes for jumps, especially fast jumps. You'll get used to it and sooner or later develop the muscle memory for it. If darting around with your eyes works, then I guess that's fine, too.
posted
Focusing each circle takes more effort but increases your safety by a lot. Imagine trying to throw a paper into the trash can without actually looking at the trash can. It is literally the same and you will get significantly less misses when you focus each circle individually.
posted
I don't know why you would need to mention rhythm sense when it comes to cross screen jumps, if you have the rhythm sense to single tap consistently you could simply track circle to circle and develop your muscle memory for cross screen jump.

Like what Endaris said using your FOV to aim is possible but it's like using your FOV to throw a paper into a trash can which require you to be good at throwing paper into trash can in the first place.

As for map suggestion just play my top scores
posted

Endaris wrote:

Move away from your screen or reduce your resolution + sensitivity to get the circles into your periphery.
Old laptop. Can't move screen without move keyboard and can't run the game properly without full screen native resolution. Less resolution = pixeled quality.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I don't know why you would need to mention rhythm sense when it comes to cross screen jumps, if you have the rhythm sense to single tap consistently you could simply track circle to circle and develop your muscle memory for cross screen jump.

Like what Endaris said using your FOV to aim is possible but it's like using your FOV to throw a paper into a trash can which require you to be good at throwing paper into trash can in the first place.

As for map suggestion just play my top scores
My problem it's track where the circles are before focus my eyes on them, like playing FL. How Endaris say, i will have to find a new possition to play or learning to lose focus to track the circles and focus again to read/aim them :s.
Thank's for the maps ^^

Rayne wrote:

I just notice the notes from the corner of my eyes / periphery and then my muscle memory takes over and I just jump to it without directly looking to it unless I notice that the general area of play has moved there as well
Maybe it's just a different playstyle and / or my eyesight being slow af, but I can't dart around with my eyes to look at every single note of a jump
I just play out of the corner of my eyes for jumps, especially fast jumps. You'll get used to it and sooner or later develop the muscle memory for it. If darting around with your eyes works, then I guess that's fine, too.
That is READ the MAP and REACT to full screen JUMPS instead read them.
I'm trying to READ JUMPS. I already can react to them but that makes me some times SS jump patterns but sometimes miss all of them at exactly same pattern on same map. When reading them would make me hit them 99% of the time or miss them 99% of the time, If i have or haven't the skills for them. Instead the 50%/50% what i have right now.
posted
You don't particularly focus and lose focus, in my experience focusing too much would lead to lagging, so my eyes just dart around the general location of each circle, I think you should work on your tapping, you're miss interpretating the speed of the jumps so you lag/rush the jumps. Instead of working on cross screen jumps I think you should work on maps with low spacing but high density jump sections, monstrata maps fit that description
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

You don't particularly focus and lose focus, in my experience focusing too much would lead to lagging, so my eyes just dart around the general location of each circle, I think you should work on your tapping, you're miss interpretating the speed of the jumps so you lag/rush the jumps. Instead of working on cross screen jumps I think you should work on maps with low spacing but high density jump sections, monstrata maps fit that description
No, isn't a coordination problem, or a missreading/skip problem. If i watch a circle i get a x300 until i get tired, lose focus because low consistence or what ever non related to what high spaced jumps needs, reading or whatever. I mostly play high densitity maps, also i play and read some maps playing easy mod. (I'm working on start getting consistence on high densitity maps actually to start to get some fc high acc instead ss some parts and lose focus on anothers, but I'm really close to it If you know what i mean)
It's more, know where the circles are to put my eyes on them, more than the speed doing it or the complex of the patterns. Probably peripherical vision or stuff related to that issue.
I think i avoid the lagging reading because I'm used to predict every beat before even the circle related to that beat spawn. I das doing that way to reading for long focusing on improve acc instead focus vision on each circle.
So yeah, i think i need get less closer to the screen If i want to read well those jumps or something similar.
I'll take a lock at what you say to check If i can find any usefull to my gameplay.
posted
Since a month ago I can high-acc pass quaver crescendo and routine jumpy route with +HD after removing followpoints. I don't know if it helps but my cross-screen reading improved a lot for some reason. Maybe play more helps too
posted

Sayorie wrote:

Since a month ago I can high-acc pass quaver crescendo and routine jumpy route with +HD after removing followpoints. I don't know if it helps but my cross-screen reading improved a lot for some reason. Maybe play more helps too
Wow, i think you give me the solution to my problem...

Thinking about it, maybe the osu default skin follow points or similar ones will help me on those jumps without fuck my reading. If i just add the first part of the follow point instead all of them, so i can know the direction where the circle it's going to spawn before even the circle spawn and focus my eyes on the area the circle will spawn.
Check If it's usefull to you too.

Without follow points you play better because you spend more time to read the circle itself instead spend that time with your eyes on the follow point. But having only the first part of the follow point shouldn't affect the time what you spend on reading each circle. And you will have the direction of next jump, wich is a really good information to know.

Ohh I'm 100% sure this will work, and at highest AR will be really really good compared to full follow points or non follow points.
posted
Since i almost don't play jumps and farm maps and i need to practice them. i can tell find follow points that don't affects your reading help tons. Also i changed the hit circle of my skins to make the flat circles without rings so i can "feel" them more what was making me don't get inside of some circles because the circle borders wath i was using was like 3D. xD
I'm just using follow points less visible. I did a play with old follow points and was... Worst than my first try on the map xD.
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8285468 I had 84% 78 misses on that map and can't pass it a couple days ago.
Yeah totally working at low spaced maps too: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8285603 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/8285605
posted
Suddenly playing without followpoints is kinda harsh, what I did was start off playing easier maps to get used to snapping my eyesight on circles. Yes, you need to snap your vision/focus on circles to help your aim, since there's no followpoint to direct you which direction to move your cursor.
I actually find playing technical maps w/o followpoints really fun, maps like saigo, helix, and function phantom.
posted
not suggesting it's a coordination problem, just saying your tapping isn't intuitive enough for you to completely forget about your tapping hand and allow you to focus on each individual circle

The reason low 5* pp maps is piss easy for me to sightread is because I literally don't pay attention to my tapping hand, given how simple those patterns are, I simply need to focus on each circle when doing jumps. I don't lose focus cause my only focus is my aim, you can't focus cause you had other shit to worry about aside from your aim
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

not suggesting it's a coordination problem, just saying your tapping isn't intuitive enough for you to completely forget about your tapping hand and allow you to focus on each individual circle

The reason low 5* pp maps is piss easy for me to sightread is because I literally don't pay attention to my tapping hand, given how simple those patterns are, I simply need to focus on each circle when doing jumps. I don't lose focus cause my only focus is my aim, you can't focus cause you had other shit to worry about aside from your aim
I can do that to due to high od training xD
Anyways it's better to be aware of your both hands + music+ circles instead just focus on the cursor and the circles closing to let your muscle memory tap for you.
posted
Focus on a single object at a time, snap, click. Simple as that.

Though smartass like you already know this.
posted

[Taiga] wrote:

Focus on a single object at a time, snap, click. Simple as that.

Though smartass like you already know this.
I know what you need to get better and why you will never be good at this game. ^^
posted
It's better when your muscle memory completely takes over under the condition you're listening to the music.

Just like any other skill irl tbh, when something becomes more intuitive it becomes easier.
posted

N0thingSpecial wrote:

It's better when your muscle memory completely takes over under the condition you're listening to the music.

Just like any other skill irl tbh, when something becomes more intuitive it becomes easier.
Ummm are you 100% sure about it? Re try to play focusing on the same way you are actually focus to aim, but add the tap instead relay on muscle memory even if do it that way it's very accuratelly, you should win tons of consistence and rythm sense just by adding the tap, or at least it's how i feel it and what i learned from players under top 100 talking about that on interviews. Some of the more consistent players tap being aware of the hand instead use muscle memory for it. I think they also read on other way than you do because how you tap depends on how you read.

I'm not saying your way it's worst. I did use the same way too after "get" rhythm sense and check big changes and totally tap to the music if i changed offset. And after check some inteviews i noticed that 3 of the players what more i like how them play. and what them play. are totally tapping being aware of it. Also that means they listen the music and add the next beat to the next circle. Instead "play the song" so you can totally play with -100 offset without make you tap earlier, because you're adding the same delay to add the beats to the circles.

I find 5 different ways to read and play a map testing things. watching interviews and forum threads, old askfm, etc.
This last way to read (the way i'm reading right now) it's the one who more consistence give me. I copied it from those players.

The way you are reading, relay 100% on music. so you're unable to play a map where you don't "understand/catch everysingle beat" the music or the map don't have beats on those patterns. You can use head metronom, follow the rhythm using hit sounds etc, but isn't as consistent as the other way. Also you can do better harder maps with less skill. Since the way i'm reading requires more focus and skill to play the same map but also make it really easier to fc. But your way dosn't matter the hard it's something to play if you can read the music you hit the circles even without know where they are. But you got more problems with slower parts where the music isn't as loud than hards ones right?
If i'm wrong tell me.
posted

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

Focus on a single object at a time, snap, click. Simple as that.

Though smartass like you already know this.
I know what you need to get better and why you will never be good at this game. ^^
*checking stats*

Yeah, keep dreaming and pulling newbies into shithole with your half ass "wanna be advices".
If i would make a "Today manuel guy best" topic, it could never actually ends:



Delete your beatmaps - nice advice to not even 400pp guy who is missleaded into 4* maps.

As I already said - you asked to be shitted on, your actions asked for it, you behavior here asked for it.

Now:

Play more - that is my advice.
posted

[Taiga] wrote:

*checking stats*

Yeah, keep dreaming and pulling newbies into shithole with your half ass "wanna be advices".
If i would make a "Today manuel guy best" topic, it could never actually ends:


Delete your beatmaps - nice advice to not even 400pp guy who is missleaded into 4* maps.
I already explain why i say that advice. He has more than 100 plays on the same map what was totally out of his skill. And where you're new it's better know knew maps than play the sames over and over. I think i don't need to repeat myself.
At start of the quote you can see "FROM HOW I SEE THE GAME" not "THIS IS HOW YOU HAVE TO DO IT OR YOU WILL BE A FUCKING NOOB BECAUSE I'M BETTER THAN YOU"

Btw. Are you bored? :D Naah i think you love me. You're even stalking me while playing, posting where i post talking to me... If you want my number tell it to me don't be afraid :oops:
Don't be frustrated and enjoy the game.

From now, all what i'm going to answer to you it's "you know everything oh 20k god" i'm bored of your trys to make fun of me because you don't think the same way than i do. You're really boring man, do something else, don't you have something to work on Osu or you're already to good to even need to work on something xDDDD

I know the "you know everything oh 20k god" isn't fun at all, but will be more when i'll be better rank than you :P
Nice improvment i can see on your profile. Btw as you said rank = skill right? Can't you improve your skills? :(
I though you know everything oh 20k god.
You have to be doing something really basic really wrong to don't improve from where you are. What could it be¿? O.o If i wasn't a 80k noob i would know :S
I'm sure you know it because You know everything oh 20k god ;)
posted
Realistically, I find most of your advice pretty unrealiable as well. Not to say that it does not work for certain individuals as yourself or others, but for the most part it is misleading for the general audience. Although, if they already gave the "normal" walkway a try, than why not try something different. And yes, Taiga knows more than you. At least for now
show more
Please sign in to reply.