forum

Advice to get better

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Z4ckFairX
Problem Details:
Hi everyone i need an advice. I've been playing osu for 5 month now but because i couldn't download new beatmaps for a while i ended up playing higher difficulty ones always with no fail on. Right now i'm playing 4* with 9ar for a while, i can get c rank almost constantly after buying a tablet. My question is what would you suggest i do at this point, should i go back and play lower * beatmaps (even though i suck at under 9 ar) or just continue playing at the current level till i get better? Also i have a problem telling the rhythm of songs i don't know and i would like some advice at getting better.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20170528.1 (latest)
Lacrimosa
Continue playing the difficulties you are currently playing. Pushing your limits is what's going to improve your skills.

About following the rhythm, there's not much I can say other than keep your ears wide open. Turn the volume up and focus. Focusing on the approach circle will also help.

You would be better of asking gameplay related questions to the Gameplay & Ranking subforum, though.
Alysia_old_1
Use Tillerino t/219444&start=0 and play what is recommended with the !recommend command
Lacrimosa

Alysia wrote:

Use Tillerino t/219444&start=0 and play what is recommended with the !recommend command
Farming is certainly not going to improve his skill.
Sandy Hoey

Nikosbks wrote:

Alysia wrote:

It will, just a lot slower because you are never pushing yourself
ManuelOsuPlayer

Nikosbks wrote:

Continue playing the difficulties you are currently playing. Pushing your limits is what's going to improve your skills.
Isn't much better and faster learn to walk before run? You can fuck reading playing songs to hard and get used to skip circles, spam keys instead read every single circle /pattern and stuff like that. If you don't learn skills you can't improve something what you don't have.
autoteleology

Nikosbks wrote:

Alysia wrote:

No, spamming maps you can't play is clearly the best way to get better. Everyone knows all you need to do to be as good as Cookiezi is play The Big Black 100,000 times in a row, regardless of where you started in skill. After all, gaining skill is just difficulty of map x number of plays.

Back in realityland, it's a bad idea to try building a skyscraper on a weak foundation. You need to start with creating strong fundamentals (which come from playing maps CORRECTLY), and Tillerino is an excellent guide to finding maps that reward you for playing optimally at your current level.
kai99
I'd...... say start playing 3* maps, not 4*. I know it sucks, but that's the only way you're going to improve.
Kayy
play some good old 10+ star maps and you'll improve very fast, my friend. ;)
Topic Starter
Z4ckFairX

kai99 wrote:

I'd...... say start playing 3* maps, not 4*. I know it sucks, but that's the only way you're going to improve.
Then i better start learning to read again under 9ar... it's gonna take a while i think.
Akanagi
Play 3* and focus on hitting the notes accurately.

Don't combowh*re, try to get 300 on every note. Speed and muscle memory will come over time, but if you continue to play 5* you will most likely develop bad habits (or you have them already)

You can play 5* from time to time, but imo you should avoid 5* and focus on playing 3*-4*.
Try to get a variety of maps and not just 2015-2017 TV size maps.

On the same time, don't just avoid the things you can't play (excluding higher diff maps) like AR / triples / streams, otherwise you will never improve at those things and the higher you get the more you will start encountering those things and probably hit a wall because you chose to avoid playing 3* maps that would've taught you those skils, or atleast prepared you for it.

TL;DR
Go back to playing 3* maps, and get a variety of maps. (Not just sub 2min 2015-2017 maps)
Depending on how much time you have to spare, you could just start your session by 3* songs and go up to 4*, just so you get as much practice as possible.

And don't retry.
You can have NF active all the time, too. It's a 10% PP minus which is basically nothing on low PP scores, and that way you won't have any downtimes caused by dying on higher HP songs.
Just never retry, try to hit every note ACCURATELY, and try not to care too much about pp.
KupcaH

Rayne wrote:

Don't combowh*re, try to get 300 on every note. Speed and muscle memory will come over time, but if you continue to play 5* you will most likely develop bad habits (or you have them already)

You can play 5* from time to time, but imo you should avoid 5* and focus on playing 3*-4*.
But he didn't say that he's playing 5* maps? He said he's getting C rank on 4* maps.
Akanagi

KupcaH wrote:

Rayne wrote:

But he didn't say that he's playing 5* maps? He said he's getting C rank on 4* maps.

My bad. Got confused.
I would still suggest to stick with 3*s and slowly increase difficulty over the course of the session.
It would be helpful to know why he is only getting a C rank, though. He didn't mention if it is connected to his aim or if his tapping is bad. (I guess it's the latter otherwise he'd still have semi-decent accuracy, especially on lower ranks)

TL;DR
Focus on 3* but keep challenging yourself with 4*+, as long as you know what's going on on the map and don't just mash your way through it.
Play for accuracy to get improve your tapping, which is what I think is keep getting you Cs. Aim just comes naturally over time.