forum

Suggestion. Adding video to approved/ranked [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ShadowzI_old
I've noticed some awesome beat maps needed some aesthetic tweaks. More specifically video background.
Unfortunately I've heard that ranked/approved beat maps can't be modified.
I understand this is to prevent changes to an approved map but, shouldn't visuals be allowed to be changed? :?:

To further elaborate why you can not change it yourself. Ranked/Approved songs must follow the .osu exact in order to register online. When you add a background, specifically the video the .osu writes a new line (if no previous video/background exist or the name is different) so your song is no longer ranked. In other words. Can we be allowed to change certain aspects of a song (looks) without having to risk being opt out of rankings?

P.s. question. Are creators allowed to update their ranked beatmaps?
Cause that should be allowed for small stuff like art and video if not.
Sakura
You can manually do that (until .osz2 comes that is), and i dont really see the need for this to be implemented, also this should probably go to feature requests not here.
ziin
As of right now all you need to have a ranked map is have the .osu file identical to the one on the server. Nothing else is checked for consistency, which means you can put a video in the osb, or have your own custom storyboard/skin/whatever. You can even change the song.
Topic Starter
ShadowzI_old
But then it wouldn't be ranked anymore... (it won't register online) when you add a video the .osu actually changes... don't know why.
Is there a way to add videos without changing the .osu?
P.S. you're right I didn't see that board I'll be migrating there now
James2250
You don't need to create a new thread in feature requests, I can just move this one for you
(Deleted the new thread you made and edited the message into the OP here)

As for adding videos to ranked/approved maps. Go on the map in the editor, go to file - open folder, make sure you have the video or anything that you want to add in there, find the .osb file that is in there (not all ranked maps will have one but you can always copy an empty one from another map and rename it). Then add the line "Video,0,"Video name".avi" (replacing .avi with whatever the type is) under the //Background and Video events section. Then save and the video should be inserted with the map still being ranked~ Should be the same with backgrounds etc

As mentioned this will all change once the new file submission system comes out but we can discuss that when it happens (and new files shouldn't really be added after maps are ranked anyway..)

As for your question, no mappers are not able to update their maps after they have been ranked
Topic Starter
ShadowzI_old

James2250 wrote:

As for adding videos to ranked/approved maps. Go on the map in the editor, go to file - open folder, make sure you have the video or anything that you want to add in there, find the .osb file that is in there (not all ranked maps will have one but you can always copy an empty one from another map and rename it). Then add the line "Video,0,"Video name".avi" (replacing .avi with whatever the type is) under the //Background and Video events section. Then save and the video should be inserted with the map still being ranked~ Should be the same with backgrounds etc
Thanks that did the trick.

James2250 wrote:

As mentioned this will all change once the new file submission system comes out but we can discuss that when it happens (and new files shouldn't really be added after maps are ranked anyway..)
and sorry... their just some really good beat maps... with a lacking luster. So everything is peachy until then.