forum

Cherry MX switches vs Romer-G

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zebrech
Hello there
I'm thinking about taking a mechanical keyboard to tryhard on osu but i don't know what kind of switch would be the best.
I play mania :D

Logitech's Romer-G switch seems perfect but in a lot of topic i see people prefer red or brown cherry mx switches.
i would be glad to hear some feedback about the romer-g.
Aegyo
Optical Switch
Topic Starter
Zebrech
Ok so i can exclude CMX red switches if i should take optical.
Sayorie
MX Black
Topic Starter
Zebrech

Sayorie wrote:

MX Black
no troll pls :(
Sayorie

Zebrech wrote:

no troll pls :(
What?
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php
MX Blacks are on top, they are the superior switch triggerwarning
Topic Starter
Zebrech
this top is sh*t and not including new switch technologies so ...
Sayorie
Romer-G is not new. And a fair amount of people say that Romer-Gs simply feel like a hybrid between an MX Brown and a membrane switch. Keycaps are proprietary, and they keyboards are hella expensive.

MX Black is great for all-around gaming since you won't misclick as much as MX Reds, you don't have to bottom out since it's a tad heavy, and double tapping or doing jacks for mania will be helpful because of good rebound force.

Also you didn't explain why you deem Romer-Gs as perfect for your preferences.

p.s. did some research, popular opinion is that Romer-G is shit
Topic Starter
Zebrech
Romer-G are "new" because they are keyboards less than 100 EU that are using this technology. Your top don't include Cherry MX speed and silent either, same for Razer's green and orange or Steelseries QS1...

Switch type / Sort / Activation distance / Actionment force / Maximum force / Keyboard price

Cherry MX Black / Linear / 2 mm / 60 g / 80 g / 60-70 EU
Cherry MX Red / Linear / 2 mm / 45 g / 45 g / 70-80 EU
Cherry MX Brown / Tactile / 2 mm / 45 g / 55 g / 110-150 EU (
Romer - G / Tactile / 1,5 mm / 45 g / 45 g / 100-150 EU

I read like 5/6 articles about people explaining that linear switch sort is not really welcomed for osu due to missclick so black and red are excluded. Black switches are for barbarian who hardly press their caps it's totally not my case i've a membrane actually that absolutely not required such a strenght.
Reactivity is also superior on romer-g switches (in theory) and have the same price of CMX brown switches keyboard.

My choice is actually between the G610 Orion (brown) cost 79 EU or G413 (Romer-G) 99 EU. Those two keyboards are better than all keyboards less than 100 EU that exist.
Sayorie
But I'm speaking from experience on playing with a lot of different key switches. MX Blacks despite being linear, they are difficult to misclick due to its heavy actuation force, unlike reds which are really light. Also misclicking rarely happens when you are clicking the same row of keys like osu!mania; rather, it usually happens when typing/MMOs where you move your fingers around the keyboard, thus the misclicks due to no tactile feedback.
MX Speed and Silent are relatively hard to find depending on which country you live in, while I definitely avoid Razer products since they have a high chance of fucking up due to a hit-or-miss build quality (I used to own 6 razer peripherals, 5 of them broke in 6 months).
Blues are best for tactile feedback, especially if you want accuracy of your clicks, while Browns are a middle ground and aren't really superior to any switch. Also MX Browns>Romer-Gs because Romer-Gs feel too mushy like a rotten fruit, and I'd rather choose Browns any day instead of that. I could say so because my friends and I own a lot of keyboards and we could test out how they all feel like.

Numbers don't mean much to actual experience, and if Romer-Gs were actually good then they would be more popular, which isn't really the case.
Topic Starter
Zebrech
Hey don't say that logitech's are not popular, in your country maybe but that's totally false in the rest of the world. Test sites are not references (how can they be references when then told you that actually there's only keyboard with rgb led that are good to buy hmm) and what people think ... on forums you only find people who are unhappy and on selling sites you only find people who are happy, that's why i asked if someone is actually playing with romer-g keyboard to hear what he think.
Disillusionz
Having used every type of cherry switch I don't think browns or blues are good for osu. Usable, but not ideal. However, browns are very nice for general use.

On the flip side, Gateron clear or cherry red switches are the best for osu (there is a reason the vast majority of pros use reds). But they suck for general use since they are so sensitive.

Mania or standard, I think it's the same

Haven't tried Romer-G but they seem sub-par compared to Cherry and Gateron.
Aegyo
An Omron switch subpar? Someone's have had too much to drink tonight. Considering the Romer-G's debounce latency is less than 0.2ms compared to Cherry's 5ms and Gateron's ~10ms? But you wouldn't understand anything I'm saying.
Disillusionz

Impalacable wrote:

An Omron switch subpar? Someone's have had too much to drink tonight. Considering the Romer-G's debounce latency is less than 0.2ms compared to Cherry's 5ms and Gateron's ~10ms? But you wouldn't understand anything I'm saying.

You will never tap fast enough for there to be a difference between those 3 numbers. 0.2ms debounce latency is marketing fluff.
Aegyo
I dont think you understand what debounce latency is. As for gameplay it will certainly affect you at higher ARs. There's a clear difference.
-Makishima S-

SirOxorsid wrote:

Impalacable wrote:

You will never tap fast enough for there to be a difference between those 3 numbers. 0.2ms debounce latency is marketing fluff.
This 0.2ms is not a marketing fluff.
It's the difference what you feel with fast typing.
Do you ever know what debounce latency is because I am worried you heard something and just using it to look smart.
Disillusionz
Yes, I do. I just think you are overstating its importance, and I certainly wouldn't consider it a major factor to choose Romer-G over other switches.

Edit: I just think things like keycap options (which romer-g lacks unless you get them directly from Logitech) and overall feel (while I'm sure many swear by romer-g, a lot just don't care for the rubber-dome-like feel) matter more than a lower latency, which was never a problem to begin with if we are talking about osu.
Sayorie
If debounce latency mattered so much to make Romer-Gs considerable then most high-tier players would be getting that for the sake of competitive advantage

edit: I'd rather have optical switches or non-rubberdome-feel capacitive switches if debouncing really is an issue
Disillusionz

Zebrech wrote:

My choice is actually between the G610 Orion (brown) cost 79 EU or G413 (Romer-G) 99 EU. Those two keyboards are better than all keyboards less than 100 EU that exist.

I missed this the first time I read, I actually have the G610 (using it right now, have had it for... 2? years). It's great for general use, and I used it for 3 or so months on osu standard. It worked fine but switching to a keypad with linear switches with less actuation force (gateron clear) made it a lot easier to do faster BPM and higher AR maps since I had a much easier time pressing quickly. However I would NEVER buy a full gateron clear keyboard just because it would be like typing on mashed potatoes. In regards to mania the difference is probably less important and you could more likely get by with the G610 Brown, although like someone else mentioned, I think Blacks wouldn't be a bad option either.
-Makishima S-
OPTICAL SWITCHES <--- this is the answer for all "which switches are better" (if price isn't a problem here)
Aegyo
Optical switches are the best as they don't rely on a hammer and pin setup to register actuation.
Cinia Arctica

Zebrech wrote:

Hello there
I'm thinking about taking a mechanical keyboard to tryhard on osu but i don't know what kind of switch would be the best.
I play mania :D

Logitech's Romer-G switch seems perfect but in a lot of topic i see people prefer red or brown cherry mx switches.
i would be glad to hear some feedback about the romer-g.
Both Work fine im not sure what the big deal is here. Either one you buy will definitely improve your skill and both are good keyboards. If you really want to improve you can mod your cherry switches with custom springs (35g most likely) and then lube the stems so that you have the best response
Topic Starter
Zebrech
Thanks all for your answers, i tested both in shop today (romer-g and cherry mx) and i make my choice i'll take a romer-g switch keyboard :)