forum

Does playing Osu! on different sized monitors affect aim?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_WinTer
Recently, I have switch from playing Osu! on my 15.6" laptop to playing on my computer with a 23" monitor display. I have noticed some slight changes with my aim and was wondering if playing on different sized monitors affect aiming and stuff...
Sayorie
I think tracking is affected when playing with different resolutions. If resolutions are the same but not the screen size, it's more of a visual adjustment.
I Give Up
There is also pixel density, in-game resolution and play area to consider when talking about aim. All these things affect your sensitivity and vision. So in short, yes, but there a little more to it than just physical monitor size.

You should adjust your settings on either your laptop or pc monitor to compensate, so that you have consistency on both monitors.
Nattsun
My aim improved when I switched from 15" to 24". Changed the resolution too, I guess it affects gameplay.
autoteleology
Yes, in my opinion it can have a huge impact on how you play.

For one, I play fullscreen on a 27'' monitor which is about one to two feet away from my face when I play. It's not really optimal for osu! but it is very optimal for playing something like CS:GO where you really need to be able to see down to the pixel level. It's not too bad most of the time, because it helps me see what I am doing, but it causes my eyes to have to move around a lot when I play maps with large jumps - the screen goes too much into my peripheral vision to be able to do cross-screen jumps while looking at the center of the monitor.

If you also change resolutions, it changes the fundamental balance of what the game asks of you, obviously. Higher resolutions give you a larger margin of error while asking you to make larger movements, and vice-versa for smaller resolutions, and this can work in your advantage (or disadvantage) depending on your skill balance between accuracy and precision.
Sayorie

Philosofikal wrote:

Higher resolutions give you a larger margin of error while asking you to make larger movements
You can remedy this by changing your mouse DPI. What I did was measure the mouse movement on the old resolution and adjust DPI accordingly to closely match the previous measurement.
autoteleology

Sayorie wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

Higher resolutions give you a larger margin of error while asking you to make larger movements
You can remedy this by changing your mouse DPI. What I did was measure the mouse movement on the old resolution and adjust DPI accordingly to closely match the previous measurement.
I should also add that changing your mouse DPI / screen resolution will make you slower or faster. Smaller movements take less time to perform with your body, so you can do more of them relatively in the space of an arbitrary amount of time - and vice versa.

I recently noticed that at 1920x1080 / 600 DPI, I felt like I was starting to hit a wall in my ability to perform actions quickly. My DPI is this low because in FPS you're asked to make the most accurate movement a single time, with speed being a secondary consideration. FPS needs basically as much accuracy as possible, so essentially the lower your DPI while still maintaining the ability to turn in any direction 180 degrees, the better you will be. You tend to use your entire arm in FPS as opposed to just your wrist in osu! since it gives you a far larger window of movement, and you can more than compensate for the lowered accuracy by giving yourself a much larger margin of error. I was using the same DPI in osu!, not realizing that the balance of speed and accuracy in this game is different. You're asked to make a lot of movements quickly, but only at a certain threshold of accuracy, making speed the primary and accuracy the secondary consideration, so you can benefit by sacrificing any extra accuracy for additional speed. When I upped my DPI to 800, this additional speed almost immediately made me a better player because I had accuracy to spare but was short on speed.
Disillusionz
I didn't really notice too much a difference switching from a 20" monitor to a 27" one then back to a 24"
NixXSkate
Might want to use a lower resolution and probably sensitivity if both monitors are the same resolution. You can mentally adjust eventually, but you're gonna be moving your eyes a lot more if you keep the same resolution and sensitivity.