forum

Naturally Shaky Hands + Tablet

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kxxtos
So I'm still relatively new to osu! but I'm having fun and thought that the game might become a little more interesting if I played on a tablet. I went ahead and purchased the cheapest one I could find (Huion h420, also heard it had a fairly heavy pen) because I was afraid tablet wasn't going to be possible for me. I have 'naturally' shaky hands, to the point where things like handwriting are almost illegible. I used a fairly heavy mouse for everything and that worked smoothly, but I got tired quickly during osu! and needed to change if I was going to continue.

I've been playing tablet for a for a bit now and the shakines has gotten really bad. Right now I'm hovering with full area and 2.22 in-game sensitivity. Are there any grips or other things that could minimize the effects of my hand shaking? Or is tablet just not the way to go for a person like me?
autoteleology
The reason you are shaking is because you don't have the muscle memory you'd gain from a large amount of repetition yet to control your body properly. You haven't put anywhere near the amount of time in to the game that you need to in order to know your strengths and weaknesses. All you need to worry about at your level is checking all the variables that could affect your play and making sure none of them are egregiously bad. Other than that, just play a wide variety of maps ranging from SS attemptable to barely passable.

If I had any concrete tips to give you, make sure your gaming posture is healthy for your body. There are a lot of videos on YouTube explaining how to do this.
Sandy Hoey
If you could learn how to drag instead of hovering, that might help. Then you will have something to steady the tip of the pen against instead of having to rely fully on your hand
Fizzly
You could try putting the in game sensitivity to 1x and reducing your tablet area instead. A high sens will make all your small shakes look a lot bigger.
Nattsun

_Limitless_ wrote:

You could try putting the in game sensitivity to 1x and reducing your tablet area instead. A high sens will make all your small shakes look a lot bigger.
Please do what limitless said. 2.22x ingame sensitivity on the huion 420 results in a fucking small area. I strongly recommend using the full area of the tablet and use your arm to aim and don't move your wrist at all.
Yoppi
I got a tablet very recently as well, and I choose to drag instead of hover because I feel that you have more resistance (and thus control) over your movement. It's kind of like comparing mousepads - smoother and harder surfaces offer less resistance, but may cause a bit of sliding around and over-aiming, while heavier, softer mousepads will offer better control.

As for sensitivity, I think that keeping it at 1.0x ingame is the best option; I'm paranoid about tampering with sensitivity in game, and would much rather adjust the sensitivity on the hardware level (meaning that you can adjust tablet "sensitivity" by reducing the active area). Personally I play with full area with forced proportions, but others have suggested making the active area smaller so that your movements translate onto the monitor quicker.

Grips are a personal thing, and you know yourself best. Experiment - people can play with their entire arms, their wrists, or even their fingers when holding the pen. Even if you think shaking is an inevitable part of movement, there are ways to "reduce" the impact of your shaking if you experiment with different settings. I use the Wacom CTL-490, which comes with a very light and skinny pen, but I spent many years drawing and painting and therefore have a relatively steady hand even with my arm off the table, so this does not bother me at all.

Comfort is key - don't overthink it, just go with whatever feels best with you, and in time you'll improve. I'm in a similar boat, good luck!
markii
reduce your sensitivity to 1.0 and try full area, it's going to feel weird for a long time, but trust it's dope. your current sensitivity is suuuuper high and would require surgeon tier hands, which we already know you don't have.
Topic Starter
Kxxtos
reduce your sensitivity to 1.0 and try full area, it's going to feel weird for a long time, but trust it's dope. your current sensitivity is suuuuper high and would require surgeon tier hands, which we already know you don't have.
ive been playing 1.0 sens with full area for a few days (tho i am playing windowed) and i definitely like it much more. My play has gotten better almost immediately. Thanks for all the advice ;)