forum

Universal offset

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MaxxBurn
I need some help with this

heres a screenshot of what it looks rn after my uni offset is set to +12 I don't seem to understand it how to set the offset properly tho .
https://gyazo.com/3f9389a7230c05b251189e80cd90a572
repr1se
Download this map t/8899
Turn your Effects volume to 0.
Select it in the map selection then go to Options and use the Offset Wizard.
There will be two tick sounds: One from the map and the other from the wizard.
The goal is to adjust your offset so that the two ticks are totally aligned. Close your eyes and scroll in some direction until the two ticks are distinctly separate.
Then go back one tick at a time until they're aligned.
For thoroughness, do the same thing but in the opposite direction.
If you get numbers that are very different (let's say they are aligned at -5 in one direction and 10 in the other) take the average of those numbers as your Universal Offset.
markii

repr1se wrote:

Download this map t/8899
The goal is to adjust your offset so that the two ticks are totally aligned. Close your eyes and scroll in some direction until the two ticks are distinctly separate.
If you get numbers that are very different (let's say they are aligned at -5 in one direction and 10 in the other) take the average of those numbers as your Universal Offset.

alternatively it's easier to just go to map editor, click f5 and tap those with your eyes closed and sound effects at 0 and it'll tell you in numbers how far off you are, and you adjust UO in the opposite direction, repeat several times for accuracy, until you're within +\-5ms
Caradine

markii wrote:

alternatively it's easier to just go to map editor, click f5 and tap those with your eyes closed and sound effects at 0 and it'll tell you in numbers how far off you are, and you adjust UO in the opposite direction, repeat several times for accuracy, until you're within +\-5ms
without hitsounds you will get an useless offset that syncs the music to the sound or feel of your keyboard
Topic Starter
MaxxBurn
what results should i aim for ? i changed my offset to 0 and its around 9 ms difference on maps i can get a B
chainpullz

Caradine wrote:

syncs the music to the sound or feel of your keyboard
Uhhh.... that's the entire point of universal offset to begin with? If a map itself is off just use local offsets.
Caradine

chainpullz wrote:

Caradine wrote:

syncs the music to the sound or feel of your keyboard
Uhhh.... that's the entire point of universal offset to begin with? If a map itself is off just use local offsets.
i know it is, but only indirectly because depending on the speed of your keypresses the key activation (which is the real thing you want to sync) can happen at a different time in relation to the bottoming out of the key.
For example, if you press the key quickly it might happen 5ms before you bottom out.
If you press it slowly it might happen 9ms before you bottom out.
Things like that.

Syncing the music to hitsounds gets rid of that inconsistency
repr1se

markii wrote:

I'll have to try that, brb
chainpullz
Your keyboard will never be "in-sync" with the hitsounds. Due to physics, there will always be a delay between this actuation point and the time a hit is registered in game. So yeah, if you like playing all the notes 30-50ms early go ahead and sync to your hitsounds. You might as well just use 0ms universal offset at that point.
Caradine

chainpullz wrote:

Your keyboard will never be "in-sync" with the hitsounds. Due to physics, there will always be a delay between this actuation point and the time a hit is registered in game. So yeah, if you like playing all the notes 30-50ms early go ahead and sync to your hitsounds. You might as well just use 0ms universal offset at that point.
Well, by activation i meant the input being registered in the game. This will, as you have said, happen after the actuation point has been reached. Furthermore the hitsounds will be delayed as well, but all of this is always a problem.

Also why would it make you click the notes early? If that problem existed at any point -30 to -50 local offset or +30 to +50 universal offset would instantly counteract it.

Input is supposed to be synced to the map, and hitsounds are supposed to be synced to the music. You can't sync all four at once, but the only thing that matters is that the delay between those two groups would remain consistent. If you substitute hitsounds with the action of the key, you introduce more variability. As I said earlier it can happen different amounts of time after reaching the actuation point.
ManuelOsuPlayer

repr1se wrote:

Download this map t/8899
That dosn't work. I had tryed it a tons of times and doing it perfectly tell me to set my global offset to -64ms.
I have it well into -2+2 range more or less.
Caradine

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

repr1se wrote:

Download this map t/8899
That dosn't work. I had tryed it a tons of times and doing it perfectly tell me to set my global offset to -64ms.
I have it well into -2+2 range more or less.
Sorry but even though that method is not perfectly accurate, it's decent and if it tells you to use -64ms then you either did it wrong or something is completely wrong
ManuelOsuPlayer

MaxxBurn wrote:

I need some help with this

heres a screenshot of what it looks rn after my uni offset is set to +12 I don't seem to understand it how to set the offset properly tho .
https://gyazo.com/3f9389a7230c05b251189e80cd90a572
I set it using AP and tapping some songs without even know the maps and eyes closed. Just to the rythm and bpm. Try to make the hitsounds match with the song beats. Then when the song finish watch the replay and check the indicator on the circles where the beat it's really easy to follow. Move the global offset to make those hit match to the middle.
Other way it's to open settings and click on setup the global offset. There should open a metronome. Make the ticks match with the song BPM/beats. You shouldn't listen the ticks as high as they sound when the global offset it's well syncroniced. Because the beats "overwrite" the metronome ticks when the song it's well syncroniced.
The best way it's just to tap to the beat and check the indicator since hardware and software can make delay, so you could be tapping perfectly Od10 with the perfect global offset and getting a lot of x100 because your keyboard have delay.

"Usually" the global offset it's close to 0.
Also don't all songs are well timmed. So you can move LOCAL offset to make the map match well with music.
Try using this song to set the global offset: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/838030&m=0
You can tap to the rythm before play the map. The beats are easy to identify. The beatmap it's well timed and sync to the music. Turn hitsounds off or make sure the beat match if you change the skin hitsounds. Some skins have really bad hit sounds so they can mess you up a couple ms.

If you're having problems just set it to 0 until you got more used to identify and tap the beats.

You can try to make the offset wrong on purpouse to know to where you have to move offset.

If your tap go to the right on the indicator the music start first than the circles (or you are tapping late). So you have to move the global offset to the left. Or the local offset to the right(If your global offset it's fine but the map and the song are not sync).

To move local offset you can set key bindings as you do to tap.

If you can't "Find" the beats edit a map and play it 0'25 speed. You will listen the beats.