forum

Sony PlayStation Vita - General Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ampzz

Despite how ridiculously early it is considering this console isn't due for release (for places outside of Japan) until 2012, I'm just wondering how many other people are looking to purchase this latest hand-held from Sony.
Although some rumours are giving a late, November/December 2010 release date however Sony at present has stated that they will not be able to ship it out in this time frame.

I, for one am looking forward to the additional analogue stick, proper D-Pad and even the included back touch pad on the system's front fascia. It will be interesting to see how the games designed for the system will use these elements and if they get used correctly without feeling like a forced offset that feels gimmicky at best.
Did anyone remember how random the inclusion of Sixaxis was for the game play of Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm or any of the early release PlayStation 3 games?

With the recommended retail price set at AU$249 for the base model with Wi-Fi and AU$299 for the 3G included variant, it seems to have been based on the same price margin the PlayStation Portable was when it came to existence and possibly to do competition with Nintendo's currently released handheld the 3DS.
Or was the PSP slightly more expensive? I forget.

Tech specs for those who care about them:
Technical Specifications
CPU:
ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)

GPU:
SGX543MP4+

Dimensions:
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen:
Touch screen 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED, Multi-touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad:
Multi-touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras:
Front camera, Rear camera
Frame rate : 120fps@320x240(QVGA), 60fps@640x480(VGA)
Resolution : Up to 640x480(VGA)

Sound:
Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone

Sensors:
Sixaxis motion-sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support

Keys/Switches:
PS button, Power button, Dpad, Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons

Wireless communications:
Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Ports:
PlayStation Vita card slot, Memory card slot, SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only), Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In], Serial data communication), Headset jack (Stereo mini jack) (for Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In]), Accessory port

Supported formats:
Music -MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM)
Videos -MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Hi/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)
Photos -JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG
Official site: http://playstation.com/psvita/
It should automatically direct you to your country's variant.

A few of the confirmed games to be released for the PSVita include:
  1. Gravity Daze
  2. Hot Shots Golf
  3. Hustle Kings
  4. Little Deviants
  5. ModNation Racers
  6. Reality Fighter
  7. Super Stardust Delta
  8. Uncharted Golden Abyss
  9. Wipeout 2048
Two of the games in the list I'm anticipating to be good which are: Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048.

Either way, wall of text aside, just discuss about this upcoming handheld.
Sup A Noob
I'm getting the PSV, but only after they release the second edition of it.
Drakari_old
I'm almost certainly getting it, it's got a 4 core CPU!
I personally am interested in Gravity Daze and Bioshock, though that may change if I dislike the feel... That would be the only thing that could turn me off from it, if using the dual analog sticks is very uncomfortable I may get a 3DS instead.
adam2046
Where's Monster Hunter?
Release day 1, instant bajillion units sold in Japan.
Rantai
Until I see a Valkyria Chronicles title I probably won't buy one.
awp
homebrew + ps2 emulation and I'm sold
raxar
Will not buy it since there is no title that interest me atm..
and I think the size of PSV is not portable anymore(IIRC) :(
adam2046

raxar wrote:

Will not buy it since there is no title that interest me atm..
and I think the size of PSV is not portable anymore(IIRC) :(
It's barely larger than the PSP. The only real problem with portability would be the analogue sticks.
mm201
I couldn't help but notice it has an OLED screen. The last one of those I saw (also an offering from Sony) looked atrocious, with a 60Hz strobe. I don't see the rear touchpad being useful for anything. Dual analog control needs a bunch of shoulder buttons to work right, so I don't see it making a major difference.
awp

mm201 wrote:

Dual analog control needs a bunch of shoulder buttons to work right
mm201
Doesn't really need the second stick.

I want Katamari for the 3DS. Like they do with the depth of field, they could adjust the parallax to match the scale of your katamari, and it would be epic.
awp

mm201 wrote:

Doesn't really need the second stick.
that is blasphemy but oh god yes We ♥ 3D Katamari
Topic Starter
ampzz
The amount of PSP games that were ruined due to the lack of a second thumb stick was pretty amazing.. especially some of the racing genre titles ad even action games on it, The 3rd Birthday for example could have been even more enjoyable if the second stick was there.

Of course this is just my biased opinion from someone who has played PlayStation games from the console's inauguration back with the original grey Sony PlayStation, then the introduction of the dual-shock which meant I could never go back to not having a second stick.

I don't see how having the second stick necessitates a need for the L2/R2 buttons to be included as well.

But of course, this is my opinionated view on the subject.
adam2046

ampzz wrote:

The amount of PSP games that were ruined due to the lack of a second thumb stick was pretty amazing

I can't wait until I develop severe arthritis from playing Monster Hunter.
Azure_Kite

adam2046 wrote:

I can't wait until I develop severe arthritis from playing Monster Hunter.
Quaraezha
Street Fighter x Tekken
awp

ampzz wrote:

I don't see how having the second stick necessitates a need for the L2/R2 buttons to be included as well.
Each thumb has access to four buttons. Using one joystick, you can still press the face buttons (4) and shoulder buttons (2). That's 6 buttons.

Now, if you're using dual analog, you only have the shoulder buttons (2). That's 2 buttons. Many games that use two sticks make use of multiple actions through the shoulder buttons. A couple examples off the top of my head: (Primary fire, Secondary Fire, Dash, Action), (Cycle Left, Cycle Right, Use, Jump/Roll)

It's like trying to play any modern FPS with only WASD and a 2 button mouse. And, say, the numpad is there - you can use it, but it's hard to go from the mouse to the numpad and back
adam2046
I want to see if developers can implement the back touchpad seamlessly into gameplay. I'm not sure about its usefulness but hopefully it will be comfortable and actually useful.
[YllwRice]
So, there's this list of leaked VITA games released by an anonymous source.
Who knows if it's true or not.....
Arghhhnold

awp wrote:

ampzz wrote:

Each thumb has access to four buttons. Using one joystick, you can still press the face buttons (4) and shoulder buttons (2). That's 6 buttons.

Now, if you're using dual analog, you only have the shoulder buttons (2). That's 2 buttons. Many games that use two sticks make use of multiple actions through the shoulder buttons. A couple examples off the top of my head: (Primary fire, Secondary Fire, Dash, Action), (Cycle Left, Cycle Right, Use, Jump/Roll)

It's like trying to play any modern FPS with only WASD and a 2 button mouse. And, say, the numpad is there - you can use it, but it's hard to go from the mouse to the numpad and back
Probably could easily make the back touch section a giant L2 and R2 button.
Im looking forward to this though. Was thinking of getting a tablet until i realised all i wanted it for was to be able to play games so waiting for the vita =D
[YllwRice]
Topic Starter
ampzz

Pierate wrote:

Whoever wants the specs.
Already had the specifications for this in the opening post.
Behon
I just might try and get one on launch day if LittleBigPlanet is a launch title. That photo feature and the touch screen being implemented have me mighty excited.

B33taku
Drakari_old
I can't find anywhere to try Vita games at PAX... Disappointment.
CapnDavid
It looks cool, but I'll pass.
Azure_Kite
TKiller
OHOHOHOHOHOH HOW DID I MISS THAT

I now might buy it even before it'll be hacked.
Topic Starter
ampzz
... There goes a few more dollars on another pre-order to come.
NoHitter

Azure_Kyte wrote:

Considering DJMAX Technika is coming out on the Vita I think it's time I REALLY REALLY CONSIDER MAYBE JUST MAYBE buying one. For real.
Oh great. Now I have to consider buying it along with the 3DS.
Never liked DJMAX Portable, but loved Technika.
Quaraezha
I'm gonna laugh if shaking the Vita activates Fever.
Sup A Noob
Technika has intrigued me.
awp
Disgaea 3 remake and a Katamari title? Well, I'm interested now.

Granted I probably won't buy the Disgaea 3 remake unless it's not actually a remake and instead an expansion (it won't be) since I've got D3 already but heeeeeey it caught my interest
Topic Starter
ampzz

awp wrote:

Granted I probably won't buy the Disgaea 3 remake unless it's not actually a remake and instead an expansion (it won't be) since I've got D3 already but heeeeeey it caught my interest
If they bother to get everything all lovingly detailed compared to how fuzzy Disgaea 3 was on the PS3, I'm sold.
Oh and maybe if they toss all the DLC into it as a standard/out of the box component, but that's unlikely.
Topic Starter
ampzz
Bump.

From a few sources it's been confirmed that the PlayStation Vita will be released in Japan come December 17th, nice and before Christmas to secure a rather large margin of profits for that time period.
Bit of a shame for Sony that they'll miss out on the Western and European market share for the Christmas sales for 2011 though.

With that, we have a few more additional goodies with a decent preview of the actual game play/graphics available on the Vita thanks to Uncharted: Golden Abyss available to watch here:

Seems like this little handheld will be very nice to look at for the next few years of use I'll be giving it, thankfully.

We've also had Sony themselves confirm some of the titles in the leaked list from before, I'm calling a marketing stunt regardless.
Here is the listing with confirmations:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/70158/ ... ch-line-up

Add to that the DJ Max Technika Vita title which we know is confirmed and it's turning out to be a decent amount of early-life titles to enjoy.

This is of course without all the additional titles to come from the PlayStation Network Store and PSP titles transferable.

But the only downside is the short battery life which is only expected to be about 3-5 hours worth of use, but Sony are actually coming out with a few release (or post-release) peripherals like an in-car charger and such to lessen the blow.
Mianki
It's region free by the way. Alright, imported games :J
Topic Starter
ampzz
Time for a bit of an update.

With Sony finally releasing details and pricing on their branded accessories for the PlayStation Vita which will either be at or post launch products and it seems like there will be a decent cache of items ranging from the memory cards, cables to cradles:

1. AC adaptor - 1800 yen
  2. Car adaptor - TBD
  3. Card case - 600 yen
  4. Carrying pouch - 1800 yen
  5. Docking Cradle - 2800 yen
  6. External Battery Charger - TBD
  7. In-ear headset - Price: 2800 yen
  8. Memory card (4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB): 2200 yen, 3200 yen, 5500 yen, 9500 yen
  9. Pouch - 1500 yen
  10. Portable charger - TBD
  11. Protective case - 1800 yen
  12. Protective film - 800 yen
  13. Travel pouch with cleaning cloth and wrist strap - 2300 yen
  14. USB cable - 1300 yen
Possibly the most appealing peripheral on that list is the external battery pack which lengthens the life of your Vita by an extra 6-10 hours.
I guess they may have wanted to get in early on some of the accessory market share before third party companies bring out their cheaper products.

Besides that it seems there will be quite a decent choice of stock colours for customers to purchase if this video is anything to go by.

Gaming software side of things there's a few nice additions, physical game-play showcasing and such.

Better news for fellow Disgaea fans is that Disgaea 3 Return will likely be a PlayStation Vita launch title with two additional characters being included into the already large line-up of playable characters the game already boasts.

Also a decent look at the game-play (and mechanics) for some games with actual video of in-game footage with the use of the rear touch-pad, touchscreen and facial buttons :

Dynasty Warriors Next -

Killzone 3 Remote Play on the PlayStation Vita -
Which is honestly cool, since it looks as though it will not be delayed and lag ridden when trying to play it via remote play. Hopefully it stays true with any other games.

Gravity Daze -
Showing off a rather nice physics engine with its disorienting game-play.

Resistance Burning Skies -
Better thing with this video is it shows off a bit of the PlayStation Vita OS navigation.

Wipeout 2048 -
Not so much of an in-game gameplay showing but anything Wipeout related has never been far from what it will play like on the system it's released on.
It does show near the end the use of the camera system, presumably end race "taunting" I'm guessing.

End of a rather long post.
Rantai
Those memory cards are a bit cheaper than I thought they'd be o.o
show more