forum

[Archived] 100% CPU usage from osu! + another issue

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ferret irl
Problem Details:

osu! hogs up near 100% of the CPU time and at random times the game stops taking all clicking input and shows the buttons for the chat and online users.

I had made another thread about this but it's a year old and Dntm8kmeeatu told me that it's probably a good idea to make a new thread. I'll be posting all information that I can get from that thread.
[url]https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/460991/start=0
[/url]

Specs: http://valid.x86.fr/47weas

Additionally, this had only happened after I reinstalled osu!. Before, these issues had gone away and I had played in peace.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

~15 minutes of playtime, most of it idle.
Frames dropping like flies. This is a usual indicator that osu! has hit ~90% or higher.
And what do you know! It is!
osu! after a restart, no maps played or anything done inside the client.
osu! thinking it's not in gameplay (Notice how the chat and online users tab show even when I'm not failed yet.)
Video of ^ https://youtu.be/okaBB1VlIw8

osu! version: 20170503.4 (latest)
wiwhproi
It looks like you're using a laptop with an Nvidia GPU included. I suspect the issue is that the GPU is not being utilized, and thus the processor is being forced to do all of the graphical work, causing it to overheat and then throttle itself. At this point it will appear to be 90% utilized or so, because it has reduced its performance to mitigate heat generation.

If that's what it is, then it should be fixable by going to the Nvidia control panel, going to "Manage 3D Settings", finding osu, and then selecting "High-performance NVIDIA Processor" from the preferred graphics processor choice. This will probably make osu drain more battery power though.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't please let us know and let us know if any of the symptoms change.
Topic Starter
ferret irl

wiwhproi wrote:

It looks like you're using a laptop with an Nvidia GPU included. I suspect the issue is that the GPU is not being utilized, and thus the processor is being forced to do all of the graphical work, causing it to overheat and then throttle itself. At this point it will appear to be 90% utilized or so, because it has reduced its performance to mitigate heat generation.

If that's what it is, then it should be fixable by going to the Nvidia control panel, going to "Manage 3D Settings", finding osu, and then selecting "High-performance NVIDIA Processor" from the preferred graphics processor choice. This will probably make osu drain more battery power though.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't please let us know and let us know if any of the symptoms change.
I've been using that setting since I've used this computer.
Furrious
What background processes are running? Check your icons near the time.
If you have something else using DX11, or something that is also running DX11, this may conflict. Or there is a driver that is not liking osu! causing the game to hog the CPU.
Kondou-Shinichi
if you have like a map with 3 million objects, this could happen
Upskirt
Try changing the power option to high performance in Windows.