forum

A confusing question about my playing fingers.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
simonsnow
Hi. I have been playing the game for more than 3 months now and enjoying it by the day. I got a lot of instructive advice from my last post and I hope to get some more from this one. I play the game with my ring finger on "z" key and middle finger on "x" key. I heard that it shouldn't matter which fingers I play with but as I play harder maps, I feel like my middle finger is more responsive than my ring finger. It hurts my accuracy especially when I am doing a section with multiple quick circles or a slide followed by a quick circle. However, I am doing fine with sections that has circles over circles and slow streams. I wonder if anyone has been in my situation and how do they improve from that?
I know keep playing and enjoy playing is the general idea for improving, but I feel like I am getting better with middle finger but not so much with ring finger, and it got me a bit worried.
wiwhproi
You're almost certainly correct in thinking that your middle finger is more responsive than your ring finger. Perhaps consider using index finger and middle finger together instead: middle finger has good control and index finger is usually more precise than ring finger would be.

If you don't want to switch fingers, that's fine. Instead try using ring finger more exclusively in songs where you can manage it. Try single tapping some of the songs that you're practicing using just your ring finger. If it's near the edge of your playing ability on ring finger but within your playing ability on middle finger, you'll likely notice a difference fairly quickly. It probably will take a while to get fully accustomed to using both fingers reliably, so don't be too discouraged if you don't see results in a few days. If after a few weeks you still haven't improved, you might need to try something different.
Dryad
Interesting, If you don't mind me asking What made you choose ring and middle instead of middle and index? my ring finger is useless for this game, has no strength or stamina at al hahahl.
ManuelOsuPlayer

simonsnow wrote:

Hi. I have been playing the game for more than 3 months now and enjoying it by the day. I got a lot of instructive advice from my last post and I hope to get some more from this one. I play the game with my ring finger on "z" key and middle finger on "x" key. I heard that it shouldn't matter which fingers I play with but as I play harder maps, I feel like my middle finger is more responsive than my ring finger. It hurts my accuracy especially when I am doing a section with multiple quick circles or a slide followed by a quick circle. However, I am doing fine with sections that has circles over circles and slow streams. I wonder if anyone has been in my situation and how do they improve from that?
I know keep playing and enjoy playing is the general idea for improving, but I feel like I am getting better with middle finger but not so much with ring finger, and it got me a bit worried.
You can start using your ring as your main finger sometimes. For example playing really easy songs for you. (If you singletap).
I don't think that finger combination it's good. At least not to do triples and streams. The coordination betwen those fingers it's worst than Middle + Ring, Ring + Index, or any combination using the thumb.
Comfy Slippers
I remember watching doomsday use ring+index, don't know if he still does. So there's that.

Just go with what feels natural to you. Experiment with finger positioning and keys, til you find your "sweet spot".
N0thingSpecial
As long it's comfortable go with it
markii
your ring finger is not typically strong or particularly dextrous/coordinated there are no worse combinations of fingers without including the pinky, but at the very least your pinky is pretty well isolated from your index and middle fingers, you are at a point in the game where relearning to use index+middle is only going to get harder moving forward, if you are thinking about swotching, I would pull the trigger. I'm sure it's possible to get good with this playstyle, but it's not reasonable to use a sub optimal playstyle and expect optimal results, and I can't think of any pros to that finger configuration other than, it feels comfortable, but so would index+middle finger after like 20-50 hours game time.
RaneFire

markii wrote:

...there are no worse combinations of fingers...
Absolutely. The ring and middle finger tendons share connective tissue. Any other combination is objectively better.

That said, it is not impossible to play with... you are only handicapped.

simonsnow wrote:

Finger independence exercises may help, as well as frequent upward & backward stretching of the ring finger.
Topic Starter
simonsnow
I got the overall idea. Gonna stay the same for a bit longer and then decide whether to change or not.
NixXSkate

RaneFire wrote:

markii wrote:

...there are no worse combinations of fingers...
Absolutely. The ring and middle finger tendons share connective tissue. Any other combination is objectively better.

Finger independence exercises may help, as well as frequent upward & backward stretching of the ring finger.
But...
markii

RaneFire wrote:

This is the main idea I wastrying to get at, I think he can do it, but I think paying the price of a couple tough weeks now to transition to index/middle, outweighs having that handicap forever to avoid that awkward couple weeks greatly.
ManuelOsuPlayer

markii wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

This is the main idea I wastrying to get at, I think he can do it, but I think paying the price of a couple tough weeks now to transition to index/middle, outweighs having that handicap forever to avoid that awkward couple weeks greatly.
I can play using any finger combination, singletapping or alternate (mouse too). Tock me less than 7 hours learn a new finger convination spamming 3 hours 1*-1'7* 2 hours 1'7*-2'7* 1 hour 2'7*-4*. Learn singletap tock me 3 days watching replays and playing 2*-3*. You're also playing new maps so you're not losing your time. I was rank 50k when i learn to singletap from alternate so i don't think never it's to late to learn. Don't worry to much about it if you can play how you can do it rigth now. When you need it you will be force to learn a new finger convination anyways.