forum

Having Trouble With 210+ BPM With AR9

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Manfred
Hello everybody, today I come to you with the question as stated in the title. I've noticed this problem I have for some time now, and I know the solution to help it, but at the same time its like solving a math problem without showing your work. I don't think I fully understand WHY I seem to have trouble with AR9 and 210 or higher bpm.
For example https://osu.ppy.sh/b/351993&m=0 [Insane] (can't play skystar maps for shit, yeah I know I suck). I can pass this map with about 85% acc with AR9, turn it up to about 9.4 or higher and I can get a 96% which where I currently am, feels like good accuracy, 85% on a 5* however, does not. With AR9 I have nothing but sliderend misses and just have a harder time tapping to the song, and I don't have that problem with higher AR. Edit Was just trying https://osu.ppy.sh/s/413592 [Extra] and I have the same problem. The only way I can describe the feeling of playing is that the map is like a person crawling trying to keep up with someone running.

Is this what I like to call a "Atama no Taisou" problem, or something else?

I'm not 'particularly' asking for advice to fix this problem. I can clearly see my problem at .5 playback in replays. That only covers the circle clicking part. What I don't get is why I miss so many sliderends at lower AR as well. Is it because the sliderball travels slower and I'm not giving it time to finish before moving to the next object? I can play AR9 absolutely fine if I'm in the right state of mind, but other times I can machine gun the notes and hit well before they are in play. I would just like to get other peoples clarification to my problem.

Thanks in advance, and no need for the obligatory 'play more' I'm aware of that, those types of replies only serve to make me unhappy and don't help answer much of anything other then to troll.
7ambda
Higher note density

Learn to read
Topic Starter
Manfred

F1r3tar wrote:

Higher note density

Learn to read
Thanks, I can always expect a response like this from you.
Sayorie

Manfred wrote:

F1r3tar wrote:

Higher note density

Learn to read
Thanks, I can always expect a response like this from you.
But it's the truth. You need to learn to read AR9 to play AR9. Which means play more AR9 and learn to read AR9.

Missed slider ends mean you're rushing to the next note (due to you being accustomed to higher AR), and also a sign of bad basic skills. Don't be lazy, READ THE SLIDER PROPERLY, and follow it all the way through.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Sayorie wrote:

But it's the truth. You need to learn to read AR9 to play AR9. Which means play more AR9 and learn to read AR9.

Missed slider ends mean you're rushing to the next note (due to you being accustomed to higher AR), and also a sign of bad basic skills. Don't be lazy, READ THE SLIDER PROPERLY, and follow it all the way through.
I know it's the truth, I just never like how F1r3tar answers so bluntly, I come to Gameplay & Rankings to get responses that are more then 10 words and aren't rude. I'll practice my reading with AR9 more, maybe give HD a try more often.

Also, nice profile picture Saiyore, I recently picked up Eromanga Sensei thinking I wouldn't like Elf, she's a waifu contender after further inspection however.
Yolshka
Well other than editing the ar to a higher one, you can also try to play some lower bpm maps. Needless to say that ar9 will most likely not pose a threat to you on low bpm.You can incrase the bpm after playing them for a bit, or decrase the ar over time if you'd like to stick with high bpm.
It is kinda frustrating tho i admit that, i don't really like playing 200+
Topic Starter
Manfred

Yolshka wrote:

It is kinda frustrating tho i admit that, i don't really like playing 200+
I do frequently edit songs to higher ARs to see if I can still keep up with them. I agree, anything over 200 can get rough. I've been slowly accustoming myself to 220 and up and I have to really be hopped up on caffeine to play them properly. The very top that I see passable in my near future is an unranked map "C-show - Workaholic" [Extra] by ktgster. AR 10 lowered to 9.5, OD 8 ,HP 5 ,220 BPM and hard as shit. Gotta go fast.

7ambda

Manfred wrote:

I know it's the truth, I just never like how F1r3tar answers so bluntly, I come to Gameplay & Rankings to get responses that are more then 10 words and aren't rude. I'll practice my reading with AR9 more, maybe give HD a try more often.
High or low-note density directly correlates with the AR and bpm of a map. As you can probably guess, the higher the note density, the harder it is to read the map's patterns.

The lower the AR, the longer it takes for notes to disappear off the screen. As the chart below indicates, higher millisecond values indicate a longer amount of time that the note will stay on screen (1,000 ms = 1 second).

In of itself, AR 9 on Atama no Taisou doesn't sound like that big of a deal. After all, that equates to the approach circles staying on-screen for only 0.6 seconds; however, we well know that's not simply the case with this map. No, we have to take another factor into account, bpm.

BPM is pretty self-explanatory; how many beats occur every minute. Because Atama no Taisou is 240 bpm (generally regarded as high), many notes appear on screen within a short amount of time.

Essentially, combining a lower AR with higher bpm means you're going to get a map where notes are more cluttered at once. You could say that this scenario is similar to the major flaw with EZ, except no where near as extreme.

Last but not least, the 3rd factor that attributes to a map's reading difficulty, pattern complexity.

Even with a high AR and high bpm, a map can be extremely hard to read if the patterns aren't obvious to the average player. Take this pattern on Ryoushi no Umi no Lindwurm for example.

This pattern takes advantage of awkward movement, and confusing overlaps at 280 bpm to deliver a brutal reading challenge.

To summarize it all, high-complexity patterns, high bpm, and lower AR are all contributing factors to a map's reading difficulty. Hence, they explain why certain maps (i.e. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/12483, https://osu.ppy.sh/b/178966&m=0) are much harder to read than other maps (i.e. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/495332, https://osu.ppy.sh/b/845391&m=0).
Topic Starter
Manfred

F1r3tar wrote:

Now this is what I'm talking about! You've proved your point by quoting what I said then countering with a post that made me eat my words, and showed me some interesting and informative material. I really appreciate the effort behind your post. Thank you.
1Alone

Manfred wrote:

give HD a try more often.
Yeee you have a gist of what you should do. Maybe you haven't had a full control over your reading just yet. IMO people that can play EZ has more control over their reading compared to those who can't. Isn't that map more of a tech map? The slider is faster compared to generic map styles IMO (All hail RLC)
Topic Starter
Manfred

1Alone wrote:

Manfred wrote:

give HD a try more often.
Yeee you have a gist of what you should do. Maybe you haven't had a full control over your reading just yet. IMO people that can play EZ has more control over their reading compared to those who can't. Isn't that map more of a tech map? The slider is faster compared to generic map styles IMO (All hail RLC)
I try my hand at HD sometimes, but I'm not experienced enough to try it on anything outside of 120 bpm maps, that often have relatively simple patterns that follow distinct sounds in music, eg https://osu.ppy.sh/s/476691 [Camellia]. When you crank the bpm up to 220+ so much is going on that after a certain point, say 5.3* maps, that tests my limits with HD and it becomes more of a mashing game. I Don't like to admit that, but at the same time gives me reason to use HD more.
The map has more sliders than average, and is definitely RLC's style, the 2 other difficulties for that song fuck me over royally, one being skystar, which speaks for itself and the other being 5.6* which at that point for me is normally tough regardless of the mapper.
I Give Up
Try playing some AR8, that might help.