forum

TRakker - Countdown to the Blue

posted
Total Posts
show more
Monstrata
This is a good example of "following the rule because it's a rule" and not because breaking the rule contributes to any negative quality aspects in the map. Something we should definitely discuss further in ranking criteria council.
-Atri-
I'll do this tmr

What am i doing for my life
Shiirn

Monstrata wrote:

This is a good example of "following the rule because it's a rule" and not because breaking the rule contributes to any negative quality aspects in the map. Something we should definitely discuss further in ranking criteria council.
sounds familiar, better stonewall this map for months while refusing to change the rule or let this particular map pass out of spite until lasse gives up and then change the rule right away so you can rank a 0.5 slider tick map, right monstrata?
zev
combo color 1 & 3 look really similar kinda annoying imo.

the map is better with 0.5x slidertick agreed
but how is that relevant? rules cannot be broken under any circumstances
Monstrata

Shiirn wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

sounds familiar, better stonewall this map for months while refusing to change the rule or let this particular map pass out of spite until lasse gives up and then change the rule right away so you can rank a 0.5 slider tick map, right monstrata?
Damn, you see right through me.
UndeadCapulet
pls dont follow rules just bc they're rules
rules were made by the community to keep map quality high
if a rule is instead lowering map quality, it should be changed
general rc is rly old and bad, and being updated soon
there's a guideline saying dont use more than 3 sv modifiers, its clearly super outdated
the .osu manipulation rule is deliberately loosely enforced bc of cases like this map
if you need some precedence, this uses stack leniency 1 bc the map needed it
this map needs tick rate .5 for a better experience w/ the song
so its ok for rank
Yuii-

UndeadCapulet wrote:

if you need some precedence, this uses stack leniency 1 bc the map needed it
Stack leniency 0/1 has always been rankable, at least from what I can remember.
The rule everyone is talking about was originally made to stop Difficulty setting abuse, that's it. Just imagine Irre making his diffs CS10 instead of CS7!!!
Okoratu
str 0.5 was removed from the game as a selectable option because it doesn't fit songs that use metronomes
sliderticks are basic elements of sliders and metronomes basic elements of songs so sliderticks follow metronomes

if you need to use str 0.5 then your bpm is doubled or you are trying to get a tickless difficulty by this means
Mao

Lasse wrote:

list of sliders that would be effected by a change from 0.5 to 1 and what sound would be on the tick:
00:31:015 (1) - really weak sound, guitar pitch change
00:57:307 (1) - nothing
01:47:363 (1,1,1) - nothing
02:31:857 (1) - similar to first
02:32:700 (1) - no concrete beat, fading sound starts around it
03:05:565 (1,1,1) - nothing
03:56:296 (1,1) - irrelevant, ruins the whole part
04:07:082 (1,1) - ^
05:08:262 (1,1,1) - nothing
I don't really see a negative impact to most of them except for the ones in the really calm section but why isn't silencing them an option lol

Also, when I briefly looked at the map, I noticed 03:53:599 (1,1,1,1,1,1) - are inaudible to me due to blending hitsounds (and therefore the lack of feedback) and low volume. I especially had problems hitting 04:02:194 (1,1,1) - because of that. Personally even though the effect might be lost a bit, would put a soft hitnormal under them to provide proper feedback.
Nao Tomori
pretty dumb imo. if you go look at where the ticks would actually be with tick rate 1, not a single one of them is supported by the song. you say that ticks are supposed to be a metronome, but the song in those places is not using a metronome in the first place. adding one in for no reason other than "rc we wrote in 2011 says so" is idiotic. having no ticks here (which you are implying is bad for some reason?) is the goal since the map is actively harmed by having unsupported random slider tick sounds. forcing this change does absolutely nothing to improve the map and is a direct attack on its quality.
please use reason, think about why this rule is in the RC and you will see why it is not relevant here and should not be forced.
Bonsai
Looking at the list of sliders that would have a slidertick with proper STR, I found myself thinking that for all of them except 03:56:296 (1,1) I'd not only find sliderticks useful or fitting but also would strongly advocate for not making sliders so long that they are extending over the note that would feel more intuitive and helpful rhythm-wise:
  1. 00:31:015 (1) - In the few measures around this spot, the vocals go kinda crazy rhythm-wise which makes it rather hard to grasp underlying metrum of the song because it goes offbeat in weird ways. This slider not ending on the major downbeat (even tho there is clearly more than just the guitar changing pitch there, actually very distinct notes here) makes it even hrader to stay in rhythm bc it provides even less rhythmic orientation than usual / than required by the RC. ofc I have no clue why this rule initially exists, but I believe that sliderticks exist to provide those means of rhythmic orientation that are missing when there is no mapped note for a long time.
  2. 00:57:307 (1) - Calling this "nothing" seems very absurd to me, the sound here is ending/completely changing very clearly and distinctly on the white tick (almost seems like you mapped it as an edge for a reason, eh?), and completely ignoring the whole point about sliderticks I feel like this spot is rather weird to play bc of 00:57:812 not being clickable as it's such a strong beat, have you considered shortening the slider to 1/1 and stacking a circle under its tail? This way the contrast to the high speed of the next slider is even stronger
  3. 01:47:363 (1,1,1) - Now here's obviously nothing to be ticked to, but again this spot feels rather offputting to me bc it's quite likely to loose rhythmic orientation here again and think that it changes to ~120bpm because there is nothing to orientate on again. Whether a silenced slidertail ends on a note that fits rhythmically or not does make a great difference when playing, which is why a lot of maps overmapping slidertails feel shit to a lot of players, and this is one of those cases for me. Same goes for 03:05:565 (1,1,1) and 05:08:262 (1,1,1) obviously
  4. 02:31:857 (1,1) - Again or both of those the slidertick would seem completely fitting to me as there are again very distinct ntoes/drastic changes of sounds that are perceived as rhythmic notes happening on those. Just because they aren't 'active beats' doesn't mean they're completely irrelevant / no beats at all.
This is me stating my opinion at 2am so there's not much more to this except putting it out there that saying "not a single one of them is supported by the song" and similar stuff is quite untrue and that following the RC is actually useful considering this is a rhythm game and that sliderticks are indicators of rhythm and thus rather helpful.
Topic Starter
Lasse

zev wrote:

combo color 1 & 3 look really similar kinda annoying imo.
blame your custom skin, monitor or whatever, they are different enough to be clearly distinguishable

Mao wrote:

Also, when I briefly looked at the map, I noticed 03:53:599 (1,1,1,1,1,1) - are inaudible to me due to blending hitsounds (and therefore the lack of feedback) and low volume. I especially had problems hitting 04:02:194 (1,1,1) - because of that. Personally even though the effect might be lost a bit, would put a soft hitnormal under them to provide proper feedback.
they are quite loud already and the sounds are different from the ones in the song, it seems totally fine to me.
I mean it even sounded fine to me with the inital ~15% lower volume lol

@Bonsai:
well now they at least have ticks lol
I think all of these extended slider fit well with what I'm following. I mean can you even call things like 01:47:363 (1,1,1) - "extended" if they would end on nothing either way :thinking:
[]

I still disagree, but I know when there is no point in arguing anymore and seems like this won't get anywhere with tick rate 0.5

Changed tick rate, added a silenced soft- and normal-slidertick28 and adjusted these sliders ti have either tick or slide silenced depending on music
deleted soft-sliderslide99 as it became unused with these changes

also slightly changed the shape of 01:55:453 (1) - to be more symmetrical

edit: discussed with mao again and decided to add something to the clickable objects in the 03:56:296 - part
=> added soft-hitwhistle81,82,83
Aka
i thought this was forbidden, not anymore?
Topic Starter
Lasse
they are allowed (again) now, as long as the path is clear, got changed like 3 months ago
Nao Tomori
rechecked, confirmed changes.
yay for now silenced and very useful(?) slider ticks!

rebubbled
Pentori
😬
Affirmation
Good!
vetochka
congrats on speedranking 6 min long technical map with little to no mods ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Atri-
Gratz

Tbh this is your best map
Strategas
awesome map grats