forum

"Elite Power" like in guitar hero

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Dranoel
I've thought of having a way to have a certain part of the beatmap stand out more than the rest, so I came with an idea to make certain notes cooler and more important than the rest. I call this Elite Power. The analogy is to the star-shaped glowing notes in guitar hero.

These notes come in a sequential string. A section of Elite Power starts with the first note marked by Elite Power and ends with the first note not marked as Elite Power.

They are marked by either a different shape (like a star), by a glow (gold, silver, beat color, or single custom), or both.

When a string of them is completed without miss, an award is given appropriately. This could either be a score increase proportional to the number of beats in the string or a combo bonus or a life meter bonus or a combination of them. Bigger awards are given for more impressive milestones, especially no miss, only 100s and 300s, and flawless.

This seems like the implementation should be backwards compatible because it only requires an additional attribute.

Beatmappers should be cautioned to use this very sparingly, even more so than spinners. Elite Power should only be used for the most intense or most important parts of the song. Used correctly and appropriately, they could potentially make songs that should have it even better.
Gemi
I like the idea if used sparingly, but I know that it's going to start an elite power fad if it's implemented.
RemmyX25
I don't think we need this, imo. This really isn't Guitar Hero/Rock Band, nor was it intended to be every Rhythm game in the world mixed into one.

And we dont need higher scores than FC'd x1000 scores ;)
Gemi

RemmyX25 wrote:

This really isn't Guitar Hero/Rock Band, nor was it intended to be every Rhythm game in the world mixed into one.
That really is a bad reason, even if the suggestion were bad. Good arguments are stuff that explains why it is necessary/unnecessary/good/bad for osu, but not "it's from another game so no thanks".
peppy
I think this could work if thought over correctly. The only reason I am reluctant is because we already use finish hits to emphasise hits, so how do we combine this? Does there need to be any link between the sound produced and the modified visual appearance? Personally I believe there should be.

LuigiHann
Sounds like a good feature for "osu! 2."

fdtoonsman
Or how about this:

In multiplayer, notes are randomly "starred" and if you hit a short string of them, it sets off a multiplayer attack of some kind.
Gemi

peppy wrote:

I think this could work if thought over correctly. The only reason I am reluctant is because we already use finish hits to emphasise hits, so how do we combine this? Does there need to be any link between the sound produced and the modified visual appearance? Personally I believe there should be.
I don't think it needs any sound difference, just a new visual appearance.

fdtoonsman wrote:

Or how about this:

In multiplayer, notes are randomly "starred" and if you hit a short string of them, it sets off a multiplayer attack of some kind.
This could be a better implementation than the original idea, as long as the randomly selected notes are the same ones for each player. Actually, I think this is the best idea for the multiplayer mod system that I've seen so far, since with this system people could select the multiplayer mods they want in their attack arsenal before the battle and then the game would automatically launch one of the selected attacks when the player succeeds in one of these "elite power" combos.
Saturos
Agreed on the multiplayer power-up idea. Rather see it function like that than some bonus point shit in all aspects of gameplay.
Echo
If it's for multiplayer though, I don't want it random. I'd much rather have powerups I can use at a specific time (like at a hard area).

How about some (probably not all) power ups need to be activated in this way instead?
Gemi

Echo49 wrote:

How about some (probably not all) power ups need to be activated in this way instead?
Some powerups could be activated with this system, some manually. This allows for a wider range of possible powerups to be implemented and also allows for more strategy to selecting the mods for the battle, since some powerups allow you to choose when to use them, but some more potent attacks might not.
peppy
This was kinda my thinking for the whole powerup thing, but you would be able to trigger them whenever you wanted. Charging and triggering shouldnt be linked, IMHO.
The Atomic_old
If you do that then go the next level
NOTE : I made this in like, 2 minutes.
Echo
LOL i hope you're kidding
The Atomic_old
only if it replaces the taiko mod =D
gaph2000
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
ash
slow unified clapping with people chanting "osu, osu, osu" with the rhythm of the claps during the duration of the powerup
Zerostarry
It wont be a good thing to have notes shaped like stars, the approach circles would be pretty confusing
ash
you'd figure just glowing beats would work... :S

why would the shape have to change?