forum

Problem jumping with alternating style

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
1Alone
I recently change my playstyle from singletapping M1 to K1&K2 full alternating (just 4 days ago) and I'm having no problem aiming for normal jumps on maps 4-5*.
My problem arises when I play maps with triangle heavy jump map like Hitorigoto, I'm pretty sure it's an absolute hit, but for some reason it missed (my cursor is clearly on the circle). Is there something that I have done wrong? How long will it take me to fully coordinate my left hand with the beat by alternating?
Sandy Hoey
Your cursor probably does go over the circle (at least most of the time), you probably leave before you click though
ManuelOsuPlayer

1Alone wrote:

I recently change my playstyle from singletapping M1 to K1&K2 full alternating (just 4 days ago) and I'm having no problem aiming for normal jumps on maps 4-5*.
My problem arises when I play maps with triangle heavy jump map like Hitorigoto, I'm pretty sure it's an absolute hit, but for some reason it missed (my cursor is clearly on the circle). Is there something that I have done wrong? How long will it take me to fully coordinate my left hand with the beat by alternating?
I don't do jumps alternaning like i alternate everything else.

To short fast jumps i rotate the hand without almost move the fingers.
To long jumps i move the hand up and down without move the fingers. (Only up one finger to don't hit the both keys at 1 circle)

I can explain to you how to do it like this If you're interested:
Stretch arm, hand and your main tap finger towards to your screen. Down the arm making the finger touch the key (Keep your hand and fingers stretch). Down and up the arm touching the key. It's like you're singletapping. Do it faster 10 times. Now the same with the second finger. You're doing all time same arm movement. Now just keep the arm movement and change the fingers alternating following arm movement.
To short jumps the same but instead up and down the arm i use hand rotation to simulate the same up/down effect.
To tap low bpm i use the weight of my hand into my fingers having the hand raised.
To tap anything else my hand is resting on the keyboard.

Find your owm way to tap them If you don't like how i do it.

Your problem could be don't read well the rythm at those circles making your aim/tap cordination don't match. You can check it by playing autopilot those patterns. If you tap those jumps well using autopilot your cursor isn't there when you tap. Check replay 0'5 after playing.

I change from alternate to singletap. Keep singletapping sometimes or you are going to forgot how to do it.

You can use both styles at same time as you wish. For example i do alternate some slidders in way to don't up the key before the slidder end and keep singletapping the map. Or alternate a map and singletap some rythms because they are more "familiar" to my singletap. For example at "highscore" map i alternante everything and only single tap the fastest jumps. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/332532
Topic Starter
1Alone

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Your cursor probably does go over the circle (at least most of the time), you probably leave before you click though
Could be it, the thing is when I singletaps them back with M1 I hit them perfectly lul. Need to "pley more" I guess

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

I don't do jumps alternaning like i alternate everything else.
Nah I'm not interested in mixing singletap with alternating, my forearm gets tired super quickly while singletapping. Couldn't even last on one 4* song
ManuelOsuPlayer

1Alone wrote:

my forearm gets tired super quickly while singletapping. Couldn't even last on one 4* song
I think you are playing to much without take enought break times.
Your muscles need to asimile what you learn.
I was having tense and tired forearm, and i was thinking it's normal while doing bursts/streams. I take a couple days break and i don't have this problem anymore.
dung eater
it's really good for you to get the muscles tired. for the jump tapping, try to see the cursor on circle when tapping in slow eough songs where you can follow it.
Topic Starter
1Alone

jaaakb wrote:

it's really good for you to get the muscles tired. for the jump tapping, try to see the cursor on circle when tapping in slow eough songs where you can follow it.
Yeah but I don't think I can handle singletapping on the keyboard, my left arm is super weak compared to my right. I singletap jumps fine by mouse-clicking but on the keyboard RIP, might as well learn alternating fully instead lul. That way I save time from having to face the wall on tech maps later on
I changed my cursortrail to the super long ass smooth ones and super small cursor with glow effect and damn it helped me a lot. It might've just because I haven't been paying a lot of attention to my cursor that I need all of these details on the cursor to force me to actually pay attention to it :) Now just need to get my alternating tap timing right I guess.
N0thingSpecial
I think you're just having a hard time maintaining rhythm for low BPM while alternating, timing with two fingers require very good control and rhythm sense, considering the timing hit window for low bpm is so large you lose control, you ended up tapping earlier then you should, and since your aim is connected to your tapping, you end up leaving the note earlier.

tl;dr So your cursor is on the note but your alternate tapping is inconsistent from lack of control, you end up not tapping while your cursor is on the circle

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Your problem could be don't read well the rythm at those circles making your aim/tap cordination don't match. You can check it by playing autopilot those patterns. If you tap those jumps well using autopilot your cursor isn't there when you tap. Check replay 0'5 after playing.
Auto pilot does nothing to help, it completely negate the coordination between tapping and aiming hand, making tapping much easier, creating a misleading results. For example his rhythm for aiming could be perfectly fine but his tapping is off, vice versa his tapping rhythm could be perfectly fine but his aiming isn't, and they are both correlated, if one is off both is off, you could do the same with relax and get same results and say it's his tapping that's off.
Topic Starter
1Alone

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I think you're just having a hard time maintaining rhythm for low BPM while alternating, timing with two fingers require very good control and rhythm sense, considering the timing hit window for low bpm is so large you lose control, you ended up tapping earlier then you should, and since your aim is connected to your tapping, you end up leaving the note earlier.

tl;dr So your cursor is on the note but your alternate tapping is inconsistent from lack of control, you end up not tapping while your cursor is on the circle
Well I kinda lose control over low BPM sometimes, but I mostly have problems with

1Alone wrote:

maps with triangle heavy jump map like Hitorigoto
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/596704

So what do you suggest I should do to get my alternate tapping synchronized with my aim? Pley more or a more specific pley more? (maybe focus on maps with specific bpm, map tech etc.)
N0thingSpecial
Play more low bpm maps, play stuff like 140-150 bpm stream maps (same thing as 280-300 bpm single tap maps), you lack control cause you're not mentally ready to withhold your tapping, as streams get slower it slowly become less of a physical limitation and more of a mental limitation as you need to mentally tell yourself not to not to tap so fast (and aim so fast). You basically do the opposite of single tap, for single tap we start slow like 175 BPM single tap maps and we slowly go up and push up our physically limitation

But good luck on finding large quantity of low bpm stream maps.
Topic Starter
1Alone

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Play more low bpm maps, play stuff like 140-150 bpm stream maps (same thing as 280-300 bpm single tap maps), you lack control cause you're not mentally ready to withhold your tapping, as streams get slower it slowly become less of a physical limitation and more of a mental limitation as you need to mentally tell yourself not to not to tap so fast (and aim so fast). You basically do the opposite of single tap, for single tap we start slow like 175 BPM single tap maps and we slowly go up and push up our physically limitation

Oh I c, thanks for the tips. Appreciate it
ManuelOsuPlayer

N0thingSpecial wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/210731 This is a good one, but have some streams high bpm too. I don't know how many bpm It's the higher bpm stream, but probably around 330-350 bpm.
Nattsun

N0thingSpecial wrote:

^This

OT: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/13019
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=179224&m=0 (both 4* diffs)
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=828154&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/125838&m=0

I have more maps, hit me up if you need more. :^)

PS: Alternating since rank #80k (#14k now) and I strongly recommend you to practice singletapping occasionally. If you can singletap 200bpm with both fingers you can change the lead finger whenever you want and are not limited to fully alternating. Helps with maps that have multiple (1/8?) doubles/triples in a row too or "force" you to change your lead finger. At least for me it was easier once I practiced a bit of singletapping.
Topic Starter
1Alone

Cirno9 wrote:

PS: Alternating since rank #80k (#14k now) and I strongly recommend you to practice singletapping occasionally. If you can singletap 200bpm with both fingers you can change the lead finger whenever you want and are not limited to fully alternating. Helps with maps that have multiple (1/8?) doubles/triples in a row too or "force" you to change your lead finger. At least for me it was easier once I practiced a bit of singletapping.
You meant to practice singletaps on both fingers? How you alternate between practicing singletaps and alternating to perfect your full alternate playstyle?