forum

Madeon - Shuriken

posted
Total Posts
show more
RandomJibberish
All looks good now. Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map
James2250
All looks good to me, an interesting storyboard too which isn't distracting while playing (so no one should delete it :P)

Ranked~
Ekaru
EDIT: I need to stop forgetting to delete the map before redownloading. Second time in the past two days I've made this mistake.
Topic Starter
Charles445

Ekaru wrote:

James2250 wrote:

All looks good to me, an interesting storyboard too which isn't distracting while playing (so no one should delete it :P)
Actually, I have a very valid (IMO) reason to delete this SB.

It's as laggy as hell. I can normally run osu! at 160 to 180 FPS during play, yet this SB lags me to the point where the map is unplayable on higher difficulties.

It constantly reaches 5x SB Load and above, yet is barely noticeable.. and around the 5x mark is where I and many others start to lag (gasp!). Which is probably why the SB Load is flashing bright red. So what we have here is a laggy SB that I can't even notice.

Worst part is, I didn't lag when I played this map a week ago. Then of course, I redownloaded the map today since he said to a few posts ago, and was so excited to play the ranked version! Except I can't. Because it lags. And I can't even notice the reason it's lagging in the first place.

/rant (Definitely not a bad map, quite the opposite, I just can't play it on Insane without deleting the SB.)
Here's why you have a high storyboard load.

When you redownload the map, you MUST delete the map first. Otherwise the OSB sticks around and makes TWO of the same storyboard happen at once. That makes it twice as laggy! Oh noes!
You should only be getting 3.25 load tops... without deleting the OSB file before redownloading you will be getting 5.50, so delete the .osb!
dkun
YEAHYEAHEYAHYEHJAKLGYHJAKEJYHA:EYHYEAH
THIS MAP IS AMAZING
Equivalent_old
I dont see Sb reach any 5x or higher even if in editor mode.
Topic Starter
Charles445

Equivalent wrote:

I dont see Sb reach any 5x or higher even if in editor mode.
That's because you don't have the old .osb
Ekaru

Charles445 wrote:

When you redownload the map, you MUST delete the map first. Otherwise the OSB sticks around and makes TWO of the same storyboard happen at once. That makes it twice as laggy! Oh noes!
You should only be getting 3.25 load tops... without deleting the OSB file before redownloading you will be getting 5.50, so delete the .osb!
Actually, I just deleted the .osb and that fixed it. Thanks! <3
MMzz
<3

YAYAY
Firo Prochainezo
This is so catchy. :)
Zelos
Well its about time it got ranked.
Salvage
Great map , the Pop Culture song needs to be mapped =p.
FireballFlame

Zelos wrote:

This needs more way more attention.
And that's why this map got speedranked in 10 days, while mine has been around for over 8 months?

THANKS, SHITTY OSU COMMUNITY
Tenshi-nyan

FireballFlame wrote:

Zelos wrote:

And that's why this map got speedranked in 10 days, while mine has been around for over 8 months?

/me signs this.
MathiasXII

FireballFlame wrote:

Zelos wrote:

Actually, it's not a speed rank. This map existed for more than 10 days. It has only been posted after every difficulty was complete as pending and the storyboard was finished, but there was a huge amount of work on the story board and difficulties offline for a long while!!!

Your assumption about speed rank is quite hasty Mr.FrieballFlame. He just posted the beatmap after he made sure it had the maximum quality possible he could deliver in it. Add to that his history of ranked beatmaps/devotion to modding/guest difficulties, then yes it got ranked faster (and it's perfectly understandable and legal).
Topic Starter
Charles445

FireballFlame wrote:

You were mapping this? O_O did not know that

Anyway, it only looks like a speedrank - I worked on this map for weeks without submitting it.

If you really want your map to get ranked, you must, and I repeat, must ask the MATs to look at it. Constantly. If you let it sit there nobody is going to look at it.

From what I've seen (and what has worked for me) this is how to get your maps ranked in a small period of time.

1. Map the song as well as possible, then upload it.
2. Ask a few people for mods (usually 4+ is a good idea)
3. Once the modders start finding very little issues, it's time to look for a MAT.
3b. Look through the list of MATs and read their userpage and signature for their mod request rules.
3c. Once you find a suitable MAT, ask them very nicely to look at your map. Don't be shy, most of them don't bite!
3d. When the MAT finally looks at your map, if they add a star to the thread that means they like what you're doing. Make their changes and call them back.
3e. If the MAT doesn't come back, go back to step 3b.
4. Once the MAT bubbles your map, you have two options - either let it wait as bubbled in pending or go contact a BAT.
Follow the same steps with a BAT as you did with a MAT

I went through those steps for this map as well. I got mods until I felt the map was alright, went through the list of MATs and asked quite a few of them, made the changes that the MAT requested and left it bubbled in pending.

That's how the process works. You just gotta ask people.
FireballFlame

Charles445 wrote:

it only looks like a speedrank - I worked on this map for weeks without submitting it
So what? Did you work on this map since last year too? Even if you did, it doesn't matter. It's still a speedrank, because it was ranked speedily.
I've been trying to get even a single MAT mod for many times as long as your map took to get through its whole modding process.

Your checklist is nice and all, but you see, I don't have many famous modders as friends. Thus I haven't ever managed to get past step 3c.
  1. Looking for MAT and BAT alike, most of them simply have "I don't take any requests" in their signature.
  2. Out of the others, many don't take them either. ztrot, for example, who gave you a golden star in this thread, but turned down mine a while ago.
  3. And the rest is so busy because of that, that it's almost pointless to ask them.
    I finally managed to get someone like that to take my request, but his queue is so large that he didn't have time to look at it yet. For many many weeks. Not just 10 days.

MathiasXII wrote:

but there was a huge amount of work on the story board and difficulties offline for a long while!!!
Jup, a huge amount of work. That goes for me too. Now imagine what it feels like, after 8 months of that, to see a map on the same song (even the same background lol) pop up and get ranked first.
Not many people will probably care about another map on the same song. Means I spent all the time for nothing. Wow.
Topic Starter
Charles445

FireballFlame wrote:

Not many people will probably care about another map on the same song. Means I spent all the time for nothing. Wow.
Not true. Look here

Three versions of the same song got ranked not too far apart.

" most of them simply have "I don't take any requests" in their signature."
Keyword most, not all. Find the ones that do take requests.

"And the rest is so busy because of that, that it's almost pointless to ask them."
They're not always busy. Throw them a PM ingame - it doesn't hurt.
Shiirn
The fact that you were taking so long just proves how little effort you were putting into it (even I, especially as much of a dick and blowoff back then, took a bit over five months for MY FIRST MAP), now stop trolling in a public thread and take your complaints directly to charles in pm (or you can bitch to me, either way works).
Topic Starter
Charles445

Shiirn wrote:

The fact that you were taking so long just proves how little effort you were putting into it
No, they're actually putting in quite the effort.

Shiirn wrote:

stop trolling in a public thread and take your complaints directly to charles in pm
This isn't really necessary and they're not trolling.
FireballFlame
Shiirn, the only one being trolled here is me. And, even though you also seem to try, mostly by the fact that this map got ranked before mine. Charles445 may not have done this on purpose, but seriously, it sucks.

Charles445 wrote:

Look here

Three versions of the same song got ranked not too far apart.
Well yeah, what I see there is that each of them got about half as many plays and votes as the previous one, despite it being such a popular song. I'd say it just proves my point.
Topic Starter
Charles445
You have to keep in mind that maps that are newer will likely have lower plays than the older ones. A lot can happen in two months.
OzzyOzrock
One of the messages osu! portrays through its community is the importance of having friends.

AND FORCING THEM TO DO THINGS THAT AID IN YOUR ADVANTAGE
Sander-Don
hi  
lolcubes

Sander-Don wrote:

hi  
Hi there Sander-Don.

Also, congratz Charles, cool map!
Neptunus
Oh, forgive my late congratz please ~
Congratz !!!

Congratz !!!

Congratz !!! 8-)
Faust
Wow I just looked at the drama and I must say it's incredibly sad anyone can even say that. So what about ranking a map in a matter of 10 days?

On a better note, a late congratulations.

I had a lot of fun playing this map. Your SB was neat and well-thought out. I think that supplemented the whole experience especially when you pair it with such a nice track.
FireballFlame

Faust wrote:

So what about ranking a map in a matter of 10 days?
Don't ask like that. You know It's a ridiculously short timespan for any normal person who needs months to get their map ranked.
Actually, it's a ricidulously short timespan in general. Even famous mappers often need 1 or 2 months from what I know.

And about that

Shiirn wrote:

The fact that you were taking so long just proves how little effort you were putting into it
Haha, okay. Then tell me, what am I supposed to do?
I've asked the MATs I know. I've asked MATs I don't really know. At some point I started going through the forums, randomly looking for MATs I never heard of (and BATs, I don't even care anymore), just to ask them for a mod. Still, noone could be found that'll take a request.
So, will you tell me about that magic you call "effort"?

Shiirn wrote:

(even I, especially as much of a dick and blowoff back then, took a bit over five months for MY FIRST MAP)
Doesn't matter, because that was in 2010. I also got my first map ranked around that time; it might've been hard back then, but it wasn't impossible.
Now, however, 90% of all MAT will apparently only mod maps made by their friends anymore. So if you're one of the lucky people who has connections to them, then congratulations, you can get your maps ranked. If not, like me, and can pretty much forget about it. Because the other 10% shoulder all the work now, but they can't handle it all alone and their queues are full.
OzzyOzrock
We should stop ranking maps in general. There are enough. People should just get their maps from pending if they want to play songs.

yeah good idea right
theowest
OMG 10 days. i want to be like you.
Faust

FireballFlame wrote:

Faust wrote:

So what about ranking a map in a matter of 10 days?
Don't ask like that. You know It's a ridiculously short timespan for any normal person who needs months to get their map ranked.
Actually, it's a ricidulously short timespan in general. Even famous mappers often need 1 or 2 months from what I know.
It's simple really, you're just plain upset this guy get's so much faster ranking as compared to you.

No one has to wait months to get a mapped ranked. This is a case-by-case thing, famous mappers who rank relatively quicker than usual needing even perhaps 2 or 3 months of waiting is also a delusion you set for yourself, it is simply too relative.

You make it sound like everyone who mapped the same song has to wait just as long as you did, or wait until yours got ranked.

You have to come to terms with this sort of thing or you'll find yourself getting more frustrated with the game.

I apologize to Charles or anyone for the inconvenience.
Rukario
This situation reminds me of my first map.

And not a single fuck was given that day.
Topic Starter
Charles445
Got ranked 5 days apart? Nice.
GladiOol
OMG 10 DAYS I'M SOCIALLY AWKWARD AND CAN'T GET MY MAPS RANKED CUZ I HAVE NO SOCIAL SKILLS AND DUNNO HOW TO ASK BATS TO MOD MAP, AND WHEN THEY DO MOD MY MAP THEY FIND SO MANY ERRORS THAT THEY IGNORE IF I ASK FOR RECHECK CUZ I NEED LIKE 10 OTHER MODS FIRST BUT IM LAZY FML.

No, but seriously. I'm a huge retard and I can get mat/bat too.
I think the problem is you, not the BATs or MATs.

Whining about speed ranks won't get your maps ranked faster also. It will most likely get them ranked even slower, enjoy!
Why? Because people now think you're a huge faggot, and so do I \:D/

Also @FireballFlame..

In all seriousness, your map got HUGE mod posts and the first mod posts you got were after 6 months. So don't say you've been trying to get your map ranked for 9 months already. It most likely seems you tried it for a short period and then gave up and now blame other people for that.
Rukario

Charles445 wrote:

Got ranked 5 days apart? Nice.
Look at the submission dates.
Shiro

GladiOol wrote:

OMG 10 DAYS I'M SOCIALLY AWKWARD AND CAN'T GET MY MAPS RANKED CUZ I HAVE NO SOCIAL SKILLS AND DUNNO HOW TO ASK BATS TO MOD MAP, AND WHEN THEY DO MOD MY MAP THEY FIND SO MANY ERRORS THAT THEY IGNORE IF I ASK FOR RECHECK CUZ I NEED LIKE 10 OTHER MODS FIRST BUT IM LAZY FML.

No, but seriously. I'm a huge retard and I can get mat/bat too.
I think the problem is you, not the BATs or MATs.

Whining about speed ranks won't get your maps ranked faster also. It will most likely get them ranked even slower, enjoy!
Why? Because people now think you're a huge faggot, and so do I \:D/

Also @FireballFlame..

In all seriousness, your map got HUGE mod posts and the first mod posts you got were after 6 months. So don't say you've been trying to get your map ranked for 9 months already. It most likely seems you tried it for a short period and then gave up and now blame other people for that.
This is going on my list of awesome posts.

I didn't want to take part in the drama - watching is enough - but I'll just leave a comment here: no MAT has been constantly busy for the past 9 months. If you don't get any to mod your map, you're not trying hard enough. And as Gladi said, whining about speedranks is the best way to show you care only about ranking and the best way not to get any MAT to mod your map.

Then again, it's true that few MATs are actually very active (I myself have been pretty inactive lately) and some have good reasons not to be active at all, but you can't blame them for not modding as they aren't even forced to in the first place. I'm not saying MATs are free of any guilt either - they knew they were going to be asked to mod a lot when sending their application and they need to take responsibility for that now. I'm not going to go for the usual "remember we are humans" argument as it is more of an excuse, but remember you yourself are human and that means you can make mistakes too. Before instantly blaming other people, try thinking a bit about your own behaviour. The actual issue is most likely going to be there.

I'm seriously tired of all this "speedrank" shit going on, people whining "my map has been in pending for 9 months y u no look at it". If you really cared about the quality of your maps, you would be happy they spend so much time in pending, it's just your chance to polish them until they are perfect.

Someone lock this please.
Beuchi

Odaril wrote:

Someone lock this please.
If people stop the drama there's not need to so please people stop already :/

Also FireballFlame, now is when you should try even more about getting your map ranked! Instead of complaining, go call a modder! It doesn't matter if it's not a MAT or BAT, every help is appreciated. Then, if you ask MATs/BATs politely and regularly, they will find a spot for you, you just need patience.

A lot.
FireballFlame

GladiOol wrote:

I HAVE NO SOCIAL SKILLS AND DUNNO HOW TO ASK BATS TO MOD MAP, AND WHEN THEY DO MOD MY MAP THEY FIND SO MANY ERRORS THAT THEY IGNORE IF I ASK FOR RECHECK CUZ I NEED LIKE 10 OTHER MODS FIRST BUT IM LAZY FML
I did ask a lot of them. And I don't even know what you're even talking about in the second part, because something like that never happened.

GladiOol wrote:

In all seriousness, your map got HUGE mod posts and the first mod posts you got were after 6 months. So don't say you've been trying to get your map ranked for 9 months already.
I didn't say that. The map has been online for that long, but I've been working on it quite a while before it went into pending. If you subtract that time, there's still several months left, however, so yes, I've been trying for quite a while.

Odaril wrote:

This is going on my list of awesome posts.

I didn't want to take part in the drama - watching is enough - but I'll just leave a comment here: no MAT has been constantly busy for the past 9 months. If you don't get any to mod your map, you're not trying hard enough.
Wait, you too? I seriously didn't expect that coming from you.
After all, you're one of the MATs who don't accept requests anymore. And when you still did, I asked you for a mod on a map of mine, but that never happened. So what should I read into that post? "I'm a MAT; try harder to find one, but don't bother me"? I don't get it.

Odaril wrote:

If you really cared about the quality of your maps, you would be happy they spend so much time in pending, it's just your chance to polish them until they are perfect.
I polish my maps as far as I can do by myself before putting them into pending. But they don't magically get better by sitting there, so how could I be happy about that? I'd be happy about a MAT mod. I start looking for MATs when I feel that the regular mods don't really help me much anymore, but if I don't get any, I can't do much. And of course I also want it ranked. I didn't spend all the time mapping something to have only a few dozen people play it in the end. D:

Beuchi-chan wrote:

Then, if you ask MATs/BATs politely and regularly, they will find a spot for you, you just need patience.

A lot.
Yes, I knew that patience would be needed even before I started mapping. And I wouldn't be angry about it if everyone did. But some people do and others don't, which is the unfair part.
Well, I can understand if famous mappers get their maps ranked faster, since they have less stuff to fix and more people are interested in them, but don't you think that days vs. months is a bit extreme?
I can't ask most of the MATs/BATs, because they won't take any requests. Some of them say so in their signature, others tell me when I ask. But then again, I see these people modding maps like this one, just a few days after they're uploaded. So what apparently just counts is having good connections to the "important" people. There seems an elite of mappers who're friends with them and they'll only mod their maps, but not anyone elses.
Of course these people won't see a problem with the way things work and they just tell me to put more effort into it, but it's not like I am given much of a chance.
dNextGen
tl;dr obviously
Topic Starter
Charles445
I hope the thread doesn't get locked, I like having threads open for feedback.
show more