forum

Madeon - Shuriken

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Charles445

ztrot wrote:

Timing on this map feels fine charles tho I was thinking you could probably do a bit more with the SB but that is just me.
Also some of the sliderkicks felt a bit over used, other than that the insane plays really nicely.
I was hoping to see a custom sound set but alas.
Good job here is a star you earned it.
Went and removed every kickslider that appeared at the end of streams. Now that I think about it, they were silly to have to begin with.

I tried to keep the SB as minimal as possible, you know, so it doesn't distract the player that much. It's not really meant to be a jaw dropping piece at all, it's there just to be nice. I could probably do more with the SB, but I'm not sure what that would be and I don't really think it would add too much considering it's barely noticeable as is

As for custom sound sets, I don't really have a good library of custom hitsounds. All the ones I had with me didn't work at all, but the slightly modified ones I used in ywbp worked really well I think.
Zelos
This needs more way more attention.

Your message is too short. Please do not post messages like "star", and make sure you are constructively adding to the thread in question.
SapphireGhost
I'm really tired right now I'll mod this later I promise.
MathiasXII
[Normal]:
AR-1. AR6 looks kinda fast for a normal, especially with such a slowly paced song.
I would agree with that one though Charles... lowering the AR by 1 (or even 2... I thought it look nice lowered down two ticks) would be a good idea. I don't think the AR fits the difficulty right now hehe, especially if someone decides to play it in hard mode.

The only thing with two AR ticks is that some notes overlaps others more easily... idk. You should check it out :).
Topic Starter
Charles445
Lowered AR on easy and normal then.                                                                   
MathiasXII

Charles445 wrote:

Lowered AR on easy and normal then.                                                                   
This is perfect!
SapphireGhost
Are there giants too, in the dance?

Excuse me, I was quoting random song lyrics. There might be a mod or something in this post too.
It's probably in this box.
[General]
- I believe you can disable the initial background image and have the second one come in with the SB Load guide
- I'd set your offset to 1965. Yes, I know you don't care but the song actually does start at that point.
- Start all your ending spinners at the same time, please.

[Easy]
01:09:165 - This break isn't unmapped on any other difficulty so it would be nice to fill it in here.

[MathiasXII's Nohohormal]
02:16:365 (4,5,6) - Overlap here, it makes me sad.
02:19:005 (2,3,4) - And here as well! What happened?
02:55:245 (5) - Oh dear. Make this symmetrical, please.
03:00:525 (1) - This linear felt a bit out of place in the otherwise curvy map.

Watching letters light up has never been more entertaining. I admit, I confess, I'm impressed.
Topic Starter
Charles445

SapphireGhost wrote:

Are there giants too, in the dance?

Excuse me, I was quoting random song lyrics. There might be a mod or something in this post too.
It's probably in this box.
[General]
- I believe you can disable the initial background image and have the second one come in with the SB Load guide If the background was disabled, the white flashes would be black.
- I'd set your offset to 1965. Yes, I know you don't care but the song actually does start at that point. ner ner ner you and your main menu pulsing
- Start all your ending spinners at the same time, please. Uh, no.

[Easy]
01:09:165 - This break isn't unmapped on any other difficulty so it would be nice to fill it in here. But but but I don't want to and ughhghghguhg fine I'll do it I guess maybe

02:16:365 (4,5,6) - Overlap here, it makes me sad. That's quite the nazi you got there
02:19:005 (2,3,4) - And here as well! What happened? You're wrong actually, they're not overlapping. I'll move them anyway.
02:55:245 (5) - Oh dear. Make this symmetrical, please. hrgrghlfhglr
03:00:525 (1) - This linear felt a bit out of place in the otherwise curvy map. I'm gonna need Mathias' opinion on that.

Watching letters light up has never been more entertaining. I admit, I confess, I'm impressed.
I'll upperdate when I mappan the ez
Xgor
I'm posting because I did an IRC mod and Charles445 said to post here and give me a kd.

Also sexy map
*star*
Topic Starter
Charles445
Xgor IRC
13:57 <Xgor> : On Insane, It felt kinda weird that the spacing was much lower at 00:50:925 (4) - than the earlier parts in the
13:57 <Xgor> : combo
13:59 <Charles445> : lemme see
14:00 <Charles445> : YYeah that is kinda weird I guess, but I don't think it's too much of a problem
14:03 <Charles445> : I mean, the fact that it's not overlapping signals a 1/2, the player has already slowed down on the 3 to
14:03 <Charles445> : complete the slider
14:03 <Xgor> : More like it feels kinda awkward imo
14:04 <Charles445> : Yeah I can see it being awkward. It is a pretty sudden change of movement
14:04 <Charles445> : I'll see what I can do
14:05 <Xgor> : I can't accually find more than that. Maybe exept for that the hitsounding is a bit empty and it's mostly just
14:05 <Xgor> : "claps" (normal-hit)
14:06 <Charles445> : I'm going to add more whistles after this
14:06 <Xgor> : Ah ok
14:06 <Charles445> : I got an idea actually. What if I have the 3 reverse and add a hit in between the 3 and the next 1
14:07 <Xgor> : Talking about 00:58:125 (3) - or 00:50:445 (3) - ?
14:08 <Charles445> : the one at 50, the weird linear slider part
14:08 <Charles445> : I tried to upload a screenshot but I think this internet will make it happen in an hour
14:10 <Charles445> : oh there it goes! http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/129603
14:12 <Xgor> : Yeah, that works
14:13 <Charles445> : Do you have any hitsound ideas?
14:13 <Xgor> : Well I gtg, I guess I could bubble it later when you are finished with anything
14:13 <Charles445> : Ok, I'll call you back once I get better hitsounds. You're not the first to talk about them :P
MathiasXII

Charles445 response to SapphireGhost wrote:

02:16:365 (4,5,6) - Overlap here, it makes me sad. That's quite the nazi you got there
02:19:005 (2,3,4) - And here as well! What happened? You're wrong actually, they're not overlapping. I'll move them anyway.
02:55:245 (5) - Oh dear. Make this symmetrical, please. hrgrghlfhglr
03:00:525 (1) - This linear felt a bit out of place in the otherwise curvy map. I'm gonna need Mathias' opinion on that.
OMG seriously you totally nazi'ed the moding there SG lol. And no this last slider will not change! Linear and out of place? What the hell? *slaps-but-then-love-you-kinda*. :)
RandomJibberish
Apologies for laziness in getting to this, been a busy week...

General
The SB is a really cool idea. A pity it's so subtle because of the narrow text, really :/
I'm sure it can be optimised further, but the filesize and SB load aren't too bad.

MM's Taiko
Map's looking fine. I like the slowdown and speedup effect :P
The SB looks really weird overlapped by the rollbar like that though. A Taiko specific SB with the text underneath would be awesome, but it'd take a while :/

Insane
01:55:245 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - Make the combo colours in this section the same as in the first half of this section? Alternatively change the first half to be like this

Hard
Same as Insane, make the bridge's comboing consistent.

Mathias' Normal
A lot of your sliders are a tiny bit off being symmetrical but nobody would notice in game except me so you're fine

Easy
02:57:645 (2) - I actually noticed that this was lower than 1 in game. I worry myself sometimes.

But yeah, things are looking nice. If this isn't ranked until I'm back (five days or so) you're welcome to call me back
MathiasXII

RandomJibberish wrote:

Mathias' Normal
A lot of your sliders are a tiny bit off being symmetrical but nobody would notice in game except me so you're fine
RJ, I love you!
Topic Starter
Charles445

RandomJibberish wrote:

The SB looks really weird overlapped by the rollbar like that though. A Taiko specific SB with the text underneath would be awesome, but it'd take a while :/
Yeah, it probably would be. I don't know if you can use variables in .osu files, but if you could then it wouldn't be that hard.

Insane
01:55:245 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - Make the combo colours in this section the same as in the first half of this section? Alternatively change the first half to be like this
I can't really do that here without having nasty drain problems (1/3 of the bar gone on a perfect playthrough)

Hard
Same as Insane, make the bridge's comboing consistent.
Now this one I can do because the drain isn't quite as killer.

Easy
02:57:645 (2) - I actually noticed that this was lower than 1 in game. I worry myself sometimes.
No, that's understandable that you saw that. If people don't flip horizontal and reverse it's basically guaranteed to be off.

But yeah, things are looking nice. If this isn't ranked until I'm back (five days or so) you're welcome to call me back
Topic Starter
Charles445
Double post because I redid the storyboard to work with taiko.

To everyone who dled before now, DELETE EVERYTHING AND REDOWNLOAD UNLESS YOU LIKE LAGGING A LOT LOL
RandomJibberish
All looks good now. Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map Nice map
James2250
All looks good to me, an interesting storyboard too which isn't distracting while playing (so no one should delete it :P)

Ranked~
Ekaru
EDIT: I need to stop forgetting to delete the map before redownloading. Second time in the past two days I've made this mistake.
Topic Starter
Charles445

Ekaru wrote:

James2250 wrote:

All looks good to me, an interesting storyboard too which isn't distracting while playing (so no one should delete it :P)
Actually, I have a very valid (IMO) reason to delete this SB.

It's as laggy as hell. I can normally run osu! at 160 to 180 FPS during play, yet this SB lags me to the point where the map is unplayable on higher difficulties.

It constantly reaches 5x SB Load and above, yet is barely noticeable.. and around the 5x mark is where I and many others start to lag (gasp!). Which is probably why the SB Load is flashing bright red. So what we have here is a laggy SB that I can't even notice.

Worst part is, I didn't lag when I played this map a week ago. Then of course, I redownloaded the map today since he said to a few posts ago, and was so excited to play the ranked version! Except I can't. Because it lags. And I can't even notice the reason it's lagging in the first place.

/rant (Definitely not a bad map, quite the opposite, I just can't play it on Insane without deleting the SB.)
Here's why you have a high storyboard load.

When you redownload the map, you MUST delete the map first. Otherwise the OSB sticks around and makes TWO of the same storyboard happen at once. That makes it twice as laggy! Oh noes!
You should only be getting 3.25 load tops... without deleting the OSB file before redownloading you will be getting 5.50, so delete the .osb!
dkun
YEAHYEAHEYAHYEHJAKLGYHJAKEJYHA:EYHYEAH
THIS MAP IS AMAZING
Equivalent_old
I dont see Sb reach any 5x or higher even if in editor mode.
Topic Starter
Charles445

Equivalent wrote:

I dont see Sb reach any 5x or higher even if in editor mode.
That's because you don't have the old .osb
Ekaru

Charles445 wrote:

When you redownload the map, you MUST delete the map first. Otherwise the OSB sticks around and makes TWO of the same storyboard happen at once. That makes it twice as laggy! Oh noes!
You should only be getting 3.25 load tops... without deleting the OSB file before redownloading you will be getting 5.50, so delete the .osb!
Actually, I just deleted the .osb and that fixed it. Thanks! <3
MMzz
<3

YAYAY
Firo Prochainezo
This is so catchy. :)
Zelos
Well its about time it got ranked.
Salvage
Great map , the Pop Culture song needs to be mapped =p.
FireballFlame

Zelos wrote:

And that's why this map got speedranked in 10 days, while mine has been around for over 8 months?

THANKS, SHITTY OSU COMMUNITY
Tenshi-nyan

FireballFlame wrote:

Zelos wrote:

And that's why this map got speedranked in 10 days, while mine has been around for over 8 months?

/me signs this.
MathiasXII

FireballFlame wrote:

Zelos wrote:

Actually, it's not a speed rank. This map existed for more than 10 days. It has only been posted after every difficulty was complete as pending and the storyboard was finished, but there was a huge amount of work on the story board and difficulties offline for a long while!!!

Your assumption about speed rank is quite hasty Mr.FrieballFlame. He just posted the beatmap after he made sure it had the maximum quality possible he could deliver in it. Add to that his history of ranked beatmaps/devotion to modding/guest difficulties, then yes it got ranked faster (and it's perfectly understandable and legal).
Topic Starter
Charles445

FireballFlame wrote:

You were mapping this? O_O did not know that

Anyway, it only looks like a speedrank - I worked on this map for weeks without submitting it.

If you really want your map to get ranked, you must, and I repeat, must ask the MATs to look at it. Constantly. If you let it sit there nobody is going to look at it.

From what I've seen (and what has worked for me) this is how to get your maps ranked in a small period of time.

1. Map the song as well as possible, then upload it.
2. Ask a few people for mods (usually 4+ is a good idea)
3. Once the modders start finding very little issues, it's time to look for a MAT.
3b. Look through the list of MATs and read their userpage and signature for their mod request rules.
3c. Once you find a suitable MAT, ask them very nicely to look at your map. Don't be shy, most of them don't bite!
3d. When the MAT finally looks at your map, if they add a star to the thread that means they like what you're doing. Make their changes and call them back.
3e. If the MAT doesn't come back, go back to step 3b.
4. Once the MAT bubbles your map, you have two options - either let it wait as bubbled in pending or go contact a BAT.
Follow the same steps with a BAT as you did with a MAT

I went through those steps for this map as well. I got mods until I felt the map was alright, went through the list of MATs and asked quite a few of them, made the changes that the MAT requested and left it bubbled in pending.

That's how the process works. You just gotta ask people.
FireballFlame

Charles445 wrote:

it only looks like a speedrank - I worked on this map for weeks without submitting it
So what? Did you work on this map since last year too? Even if you did, it doesn't matter. It's still a speedrank, because it was ranked speedily.
I've been trying to get even a single MAT mod for many times as long as your map took to get through its whole modding process.

Your checklist is nice and all, but you see, I don't have many famous modders as friends. Thus I haven't ever managed to get past step 3c.
  1. Looking for MAT and BAT alike, most of them simply have "I don't take any requests" in their signature.
  2. Out of the others, many don't take them either. ztrot, for example, who gave you a golden star in this thread, but turned down mine a while ago.
  3. And the rest is so busy because of that, that it's almost pointless to ask them.
    I finally managed to get someone like that to take my request, but his queue is so large that he didn't have time to look at it yet. For many many weeks. Not just 10 days.

MathiasXII wrote:

but there was a huge amount of work on the story board and difficulties offline for a long while!!!
Jup, a huge amount of work. That goes for me too. Now imagine what it feels like, after 8 months of that, to see a map on the same song (even the same background lol) pop up and get ranked first.
Not many people will probably care about another map on the same song. Means I spent all the time for nothing. Wow.
Topic Starter
Charles445

FireballFlame wrote:

Not many people will probably care about another map on the same song. Means I spent all the time for nothing. Wow.
Not true. Look here

Three versions of the same song got ranked not too far apart.

" most of them simply have "I don't take any requests" in their signature."
Keyword most, not all. Find the ones that do take requests.

"And the rest is so busy because of that, that it's almost pointless to ask them."
They're not always busy. Throw them a PM ingame - it doesn't hurt.
Shiirn
The fact that you were taking so long just proves how little effort you were putting into it (even I, especially as much of a dick and blowoff back then, took a bit over five months for MY FIRST MAP), now stop trolling in a public thread and take your complaints directly to charles in pm (or you can bitch to me, either way works).
Topic Starter
Charles445

Shiirn wrote:

The fact that you were taking so long just proves how little effort you were putting into it
No, they're actually putting in quite the effort.

Shiirn wrote:

stop trolling in a public thread and take your complaints directly to charles in pm
This isn't really necessary and they're not trolling.
FireballFlame
Shiirn, the only one being trolled here is me. And, even though you also seem to try, mostly by the fact that this map got ranked before mine. Charles445 may not have done this on purpose, but seriously, it sucks.

Charles445 wrote:

Look here

Three versions of the same song got ranked not too far apart.
Well yeah, what I see there is that each of them got about half as many plays and votes as the previous one, despite it being such a popular song. I'd say it just proves my point.
Topic Starter
Charles445
You have to keep in mind that maps that are newer will likely have lower plays than the older ones. A lot can happen in two months.
OzzyOzrock
One of the messages osu! portrays through its community is the importance of having friends.

AND FORCING THEM TO DO THINGS THAT AID IN YOUR ADVANTAGE
Sander-Don
hi  
lolcubes

Sander-Don wrote:

hi  
Hi there Sander-Don.

Also, congratz Charles, cool map!
show more