please help with (unconventional?) fingerlock

posted
Total Posts
7
Topic Starter
Naimae
i don't know when but at some point i started finger locking for no reason several weeks ago

it wasn't too bad at first, but the more i played the worse it got. i thought it was a small thing and ignored it as "unlucky" until it started annoying me too often to just ignore.

i looked around for tips on how to deal with it and people just seemed to say both "play more" and "relax your tapping hand", but the problem came from playing a lot. it would actually stop happening for about ten minutes if i don't play for a few days or like two minutes at the beginning of every day, so the more i played it just made it worse

but i tried consciously relaxing my hand, which made it worse somehow since now my fingers would start just lightly tap the top of the key without actually pressing the key, making me miss a note again. this kind happened more during single taps, while normal finger lock happened a lot more during streams (which seemed normal)

does anyone have any insight on how to deal with this habit? do i just have to consciously think about when to relax and not relax my hand depending on what's showing up on the screen? that seems kind of awful.
J_8579
Play 200-210 bpm maps until you stop locking on patterns, then go back to what you'd normally play.
-Makishima S-

F1r3tar wrote:

Play 200-210 bpm maps until you stop locking on patterns, then go back to what you'd normally play.
This, play something on the edge of your playable bpm, maybe something higher, focus on reading and aim, try to snap without random "spasm movements". It helps a lot to stop fingerlocking.

Try to warm up on high bpm maps (260-270+ bpm alternating once), even that you doesn't feel like it and it fail at the start?

From my own experience, fingerlock is just reading problem, I had this when i started playing technical maps at the beginning, with practice it gets away.
Topic Starter
Naimae
huh, i never considered that it could be a reading problem.

i will try what both of you suggest. thanks!
1Alone

[Taiga] wrote:

Try to warm up on high bpm maps (260-270+ bpm alternating once), even that you doesn't feel like it and it fail at the start?
Personally I do this also before starting to play "for real" to warm up. DT on hard maps :3 (But I singletapped most of them anyway lol unless triples/doubles/streams)
repr1se
I would do the opposite, I would play easier and slower maps to "reset" your tapping fingers. You're tensing probably because of hard/fast patterns, or overanticipation/panic.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Citremi wrote:

i don't know when but at some point i started finger locking for no reason several weeks ago

it wasn't too bad at first, but the more i played the worse it got. i thought it was a small thing and ignored it as "unlucky" until it started annoying me too often to just ignore.

i looked around for tips on how to deal with it and people just seemed to say both "play more" and "relax your tapping hand", but the problem came from playing a lot. it would actually stop happening for about ten minutes if i don't play for a few days or like two minutes at the beginning of every day, so the more i played it just made it worse

but i tried consciously relaxing my hand, which made it worse somehow since now my fingers would start just lightly tap the top of the key without actually pressing the key, making me miss a note again. this kind happened more during single taps, while normal finger lock happened a lot more during streams (which seemed normal)

does anyone have any insight on how to deal with this habit? do i just have to consciously think about when to relax and not relax my hand depending on what's showing up on the screen? that seems kind of awful.
It happens to me, too. Spam AR7. If fingers stuck playing AR7, tap using more hand movement/strenght, to the rythm.
Btw could be you play hardest songs than you should play. Stop play a couple days and play easier ones until you "remember" good habits.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply