forum

osu!stream Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
Roga-don
Right now I'm having a great time trying to A'd expert songs with only one hand :lol:
I hope more song packs to get released soon ! I loooooove this game so much, and I only played it for one day :o
Lilac
Played it first on my dad's iPhone today and almost missed the bus while doing so! It was pretty cool.

Played it better when I got home today on my brother's iTouch (Since I've only got a Classic.) and I've just managed to unlock all 4 Insane modes. It took us a while to figure out that you had to download the other 2 maps in-app. I look forward to more stuff and even spending money to buy some maps.
Chuggles
Playing this at 3 in the morning, really addictive and will be showing it to all of my mates when I see them next

It's going to mean more people on the PC version as well, which I can only see as a good thing.
GladiOol
I really wonder, who mapped which map in this game?
I'm going for James at Amane - Being Proof, but I can't figure out the rest xD
peppy

GladiOol wrote:

I really wonder, who mapped which map in this game?
I'm going for James at Amane - Being Proof, but I can't figure out the rest xD
Maybe we can have a competition at matching these up ;).
Roga-don
Then I'll not participate, Sushi already told me for his maps :(
Quaraezha
The Song Select Screen doesn't show the mappers?
xsrsbsns
Nicely done, hold notes and same-time-notes are fun!
Needs more training for left hand play and sliders :(

Quaraezha wrote:

The version I played doesn't, but a screenshot for the iPad's on the appstore site shows mapper names.
http://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/116/Pur ... 480-75.jpg
Lesjuh

Quaraezha wrote:

Everyone who has never heard of osu! will be like 'What does sushi have to do with this?' or 'What is a lybydose?'.
GladiOol
Aww yeah I was right about James \:D/

I really love the maps in this game so far~ I really hope new ones (free? <3) will come out soon
peppy

xsrsbsns wrote:

The version I played doesn't, but a screenshot for the iPad's on the appstore site shows mapper names.
http://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/116/Pur ... 480-75.jpg
oSHI! competition's off guys ><
Mara
Why nobody near me has iPad or iPhone? I'd like to test this out.
Roga-don

Peppy. Please, Explain me. I know that it's difficult to have an S, BUT IN THS CASE, it's close to be impossible ;_;

Seriously, some maps are really easy to S, some arent. REALLY :o
MarKKaM
It looks like you need to score over900000 points at least on each map to get S grade.
CXu
I need to stop watching osu!stream videos. They make me jealous ;_;
Roga-don

MarKKaM777 wrote:

It looks like you need to score over900000 points at least on each map to get S grade.
Ok, but for this one it's almost impossible. (for instance) An S is really easier to get for March Handyman, and not only because of the map in itself :/
OzzyOzrock
NEEDS MORE STRUCTURE MAPPERS I CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME UNLESS I SEE SOME SLIDER ART ACTION
mm201
Play Septette, or otherwise wait for Love Color, Master Spark and Vision of Misty Rain.
OzzyOzrock
Lol, Septette just has some nice arcs, but I wanna see Krisom or Gonzvlo stuff, or your stuf with the tree and whatnot lol.

But I understand that there's not enough songs to base how they'll all be lol.

EDIT: Oh god how many times did I say 'lol'? lol.
mm201
There are plenty of songs to go around. The problem is time, and that none of the offerings from "structure mappers" are ready.
We will be expanding our mapping team once we get more feedback from the players and figure out the essential qualities of good maps.
Zetta

peppy wrote:

Daru wrote:

So you were able to contact the creators of the songs and obtain rights to use them in osu!stream?
Yes, permission has been obtained.
This worries me.

If you get permission to use their songs and they think "Oh hey I wonder what standard osu is like" and see all of their OTHER songs chilling on osu, what will happen to the game we've come to love and adore like a newborn baby?

I don't want to give him up to a foster home. :(
Randy96
if they care they'd file infringement and we'd lose the songs
mm201
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/copyright

tl;dr: We blame the mapper, remove the map, and move on.
dvorak_old

Roga-don wrote:

Peppy. Please, Explain me. I know that it's difficult to have an S, BUT IN THS CASE, it's close to be impossible ;_;

Seriously, some maps are really easy to S, some arent. REALLY :o

you will get S sooner or later.
OzzyOzrock
don't get 100s at the end lol
Rena-chan

D33d wrote:

I am seriously looking forward to getting this for Android. I still haven't bothered to buy a new phone, as I can never make my mind up on which to buy. However, I might end up being swayed into a device with a 4"+ screen. I've been wanting the Desire Z since it'd came out, but would any of you say that that might be too small?
I dunno~
You might be right, it is kiiiiiiinda small. At any rate, I'll let you know how it plays on my Desire Z when it's out !

Meanwhile, maybe I should see if I can hijack my mom's iPad and install osu!stream on that.
Rewcal
Extremely dissapointed. I wrote a review however it doesn't seem to have gone through. Makes me sad but, sorry Peppy, this just isn't a good game.
peppy
Thanks a lot for the extremely constructive feedback :)
Rewcal
Okay okay that was a little harsh, sorry, if anything I'm annoyed because my App store review doesn't seem to have appeared. I poured my heart and soul into that detailed and passionate review and now it's gone... On an iPhone aswell! And I suck at writing with iPhones.

If you wish I will re-write it here though, as I have nothing better to do! Personally myself I plan on sticking with PC-osu though. I love this game, I'm just not so in love with it's app counterpart :D
peppy
Reviews are not displayed instantly, as they go through (apparently) a moderation process at Apple's end. You can write reviews from iTunes to save the keyboard pain. Also osu!stream should not be compared to osu!; they are two completely separate projects and games, with different design decisions and goals.
Rewcal
I see. Well in that case have fun reading it when it pops up? xD

That is a fair point, however in my review (rvdfan64@aol.com if you're interested), I compare it to the other rhythm game app I play to soothe my finger tapping urges when I'm out and about, DDR S. Which I think is fair enough.

(And really I only mention PC-osu! now because I want to tell you how awesome it is hehe, and praise you rather than critisize your app)...

P.S. No but really, I'll be a supporter for a long time :L
Guy-kun

peppy wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

Paying for only 3 maps seems a bit too much for me, so not going to do that ):
On-par or cheaper than every other rhythm game on iOS and other platforms. Consider you are getting the game for free, and each song can take upwards of 100 man-hours to obtain rights, map and polish. Consider that support, maintenance, new features, server and distribution costs are not free.
What happened to the free community spirit? It's more of a business model now...
Taking 100 hours to get 1 song ready seems to imply the process is a bit convoluted and should be changed doesn't it?
peppy

Guy-kun wrote:

What happened to the free community spirit? It's more of a business model now...
Correct, it is a business model. osu!stream != osu! and never will. It is a separate project with a separate aim. In order to get it prepared I have quit my day job, so it could also be considered a possible source of income. It is also part of my endeavour to try and help smaller artist become more known, and provide them a stream of revenue that can help them create more work in the future, and possibly grow larger.

Even so, I think there is something to be said about offering the application for free, along with four songs and more to come? Nah, nevermind, there's definitely not community spirit there.[/slightsarcasm]

Guy-kun wrote:

Taking 100 hours to get 1 song ready seems to imply the process is a bit convoluted and should be changed doesn't it?
It may be able to be improved, but that doesn't change that a lot of effort is still required (much of which I believe cannot be avoided). Making stream-matching levels involved more than standard osu! maps, as does planning for the touchscreen platform. Testing is relatively rigorous to ensure a high standard of maps. Also have to consider the time spend communicating with artists for licencing, packaging, precision timing etc.

Nonetheless, thanks for your one star App Store rating. The feedback is always appreciated :).
Roga-don

Guy-kun wrote:

You're right, but it's the only way for the game to exist on the appstore. However, the game is evolving to a new stade, and I don't think it's a bad thing. I mean, it has the capacities to go into something greater, so I think peppy's right going in a commercial system (well, it's kinda hard too xD).

(PS:Bad english wooops)
peppy
It is also a step towards my ultimate goal of bringing osu! to the arcades (at least in countries which still have those things :P). Keep in mind that it will in no way affect my dedication to osu!, so if the commercial model does not fit into your values then just stay away from the paid packs and enjoy the free ones? Or just leave osu!stream alone (but remember to give it a one star review before leaving, because that's the trendy thing to do).

I think people who question the fact there are paid elements in osu!stream should probably take a step back and understand that not everything in life is/should be free. Music does actually take effort and cost money to compose, produce and obtain rights to. Making games is likewise -- code doesn't write itself. Maybe it's a good chance to realise how privileged we all are here at osu! for how things currently work in the community :D.
Guy-kun

peppy wrote:

Correct, it is a business model. osu!stream != osu! and never will. It is a separate project with a separate aim. In order to get it prepared I have quit my day job, so it could also be considered a possible source of income. It is also part of my endeavour to try and help smaller artist become more known, and provide them a stream of revenue that can help them create more work in the future, and possibly grow larger.
Okay, that makes more sense, I think from the start it has felt too strongly tied to osu! with the almost identical gameplay, the inclusion of the term 'osu!' and so forth. As a separate endeavour this makes perfect sense and I wish you all the luck.
Just cashing in on the fact that you have a free community game called 'osu!' to promote your new 'business' is a liiittle unfair.

peppy wrote:

Even so, I think there is something to be said about offering the application for free, along with four songs and more to come? Nah, nevermind, there's definitely not community spirit there.[/slightsarcasm]
Oh come on, how far would you get if the game was charged, and all maps were charged, this is basically a free trial and done by everyone. Not kindness.

peppy wrote:

Also have to consider the time spend communicating with artists for licencing, packaging, precision timing etc.
Taking osu! stream as a non-community game, this makes more sense, otherwise I'd be arguing the side that people should be spending their own time willingly.

peppy wrote:

Nonetheless, thanks for your one star App Store rating. The feedback is always appreciated :).
Hey, I take back being too harsh, I was simply really shocked after believing this would be a community game. I apologise.
I'll re-review it more constructively next build <:
Guy-kun

peppy wrote:

I think people who question the fact there are paid elements in osu!stream should probably take a step back and understand that not everything in life is/should be free. Music does actually take effort and cost money to compose, produce and obtain rights to. Making games is likewise -- code doesn't write itself. Maybe it's a good chance to realise how privileged we all are here at osu! for how things currently work in the community :D.
I believe its possible to keep a passion up to give for free. Look at many open-source developers, who don't get swayed by the thoughts of cashing in on their efforts.
peppy
I have actually tried to keep it from being tied to osu! at all. I will actually take this moment to remove the only link (the title screen colours) which I placed there just for some fun. Going forward I will be continuing to avoid any linking between the two games that can be avoided from my end, as they cannot possibly co-exist. Of course people who are familiar with osu! will make that unavoidable connection, but we I have to deal with that for not coming up with a more unique name (I did try).

There are quite a few rhythm games on the app store that charge $0.99 and have relatively high sales figures. I believe the model I am using will possibly not work in my favour as many people will be more than content with the freely available content, but I want this to be the case. I want osu! to be played by as many people as possible, and making it free allows this to happen.

Also for those which think the current pricing is too expensive, there will most definitely be sales or cheaper bundles in the future, as I learn how people respond to pricing. My entry level pricing is based on what I believe the songs/levels are to be worth, and what is generally accepted in Japan (as my history of iOS rhythm gaming has been on japanese games). If you consider that it'd be the same as spending a credit playing the song once at an arcade, it no longer seems like a high figure. I won't even get started on how warped people's perception of value is on the portable gaming/app market, but there is definitely a lot to be said.

I hope to start a blog on osu!stream going into these kinds of issues to be as transparent as possible, because I think others can learn from this kind of thing too.

Guy-kun wrote:

I believe its possible to keep a passion up to give for free. Look at many open-source developers, who don't get swayed by the thoughts of cashing in on their efforts.
I have not and will not ever be swayed to cash-in on osu!. I'd sooner take it off the internet than do that :P. I think dedicating most of four years of my life to this game can say something along those lines itself, though. Just sayin'.
Guy-kun
Okay, my only criticism is directed at you for being bad at thinking up new names <:

People obviously have a very distorted view of the value of digital goods, It'd be very hard to charge near-arcade prices I think...
Possibly with a more definite ownership of the songs when you pay for them would correct that (songs being against an osu!stream account, and being available cross-platform when purchased). At the moment, paying money would just seem like throwing away money at something that isn't very retain-able.

But that's my two cents anyway, I know it'd be a nightmare to implement.
peppy
I am already making steps forward towards detaching song ownership from apple's IAP system, because it really sucks. The next update will allow updates to owned songs without any IAP dialogs. Let's see how far I can take it.
show more