forum

osu!stream Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
peppy
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure I want to allow disabling the score explosions; this is one of the key elements of the game. We map so they don't get in the way of later objects, and they help space maps correctly.

I will try adding previews on hover and see how it handles performance-wise.

The game is doing alright, but we are lacking enough songs for it to be doing great. We are working on that hard at the moment, and have some *awesome* stuff incoming :). The song packs are on-par with japanese rhythm games on the app store, if not cheaper (in the case of taiko). One credit on an arcade machine will let you play 2-3 songs for around the asme price as purchasing these songs forever in the case of osu!stream. While dropping the price would likely increase sales and possibly even overall revenue, I disagree with going as low as 99c for a whole song back. So for the time being, I don't plan on adjusting the pricing.

Cytus uses a completely different payment model, as you have to buy the game. I wanted osu!stream to be free in the spirit of osu!, and plan on keeping it this way. More free songs are on their way too.
kriers

peppy wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure I want to allow disabling the score explosions; this is one of the key elements of the game. We map so they don't get in the way of later objects, and they help space maps correctly.
I for one haven't experienced any trouble playing with score explosions. I would guess it's something that becomes less of a problem for
more experienced players :)
One thing I love about Osu!stream, in comparison to normal Osu! is how much easier it is to learn for new players, while at the same time being challenging in a different way for more experienced ones.

But wow! Expert mode isn't very lenient :cry:
peppy
It's not lenient on purpose. We really wanted to provide a challenge that means getting an SS is very, very hard. Makes the rankings more interesting, no? :p
kriers
added with the extra effort it takes to adjust to a whole different input method, I guess I'm just the one who sucks :P (this is actually more often the reason behind a problem, than there actually being a real problem). :lol:
Aoitenshi
I was really surprised when I saw the Hold Note, and also the simultaneous note! I really want to buy this game but... I don't have Android Tablet Whatever... D:

Although, I hope you do well in the Song Copyright, Law & Illegal Stuff... Whatever the **** is it. They are pretty complex and you're dealing with law here, you know.

Peace Out. :)
blissfulyoshi
I finally got someone to let me borrow their iphone to play. (I was being an idiot while playing and decided to hold the phone such that my finger was crushed by my headphones, so one of my fingers hurt right now)

Love the polish of the interface, esp the intro screen.

About the songs, there is a sort of lack of things in either extreme imo. My friend, even after completing the tutorial thought that even easy mode was a little hard (She could do hitchhiker but sunrise's easy diff was a little hard for her). It would be nice if there was maybe something even easier? The other complaint I got from her was the lack of a fast song in the free song pack (I don't know if she would have been able to play it), but I think she would have enjoyed it more if there was something a bit faster paced.

On my end, I thought the extreme diffs that came free were a little too easy... After getting used to the interface (took about 15 tries), I could beat both of them (with Cs, probably a given knowing my horrible accuracy on standard). On another note, I was also a little annoyed at seeing a note partially overlapped by the hp bar in hitchiker (forgot which difficulty).

Oh well afterward, my friend took her phone back and uninstalled the game (I think she only got it for me to play T_T). For myself it was fun for the short period it lasted. I am not sure how often I would play if I actually had an iOS device, but I do frequently play osu!droid to burn time. As a result, I can see myself playing casually, but I probably will need to try some of the harder maps to satisfy my need for speed.
D33d
Yeah, the difficulty balance is a bit lacking until more songs are released. There's been kind of a slump in activity, which will increase again once more packs are released within the next few weeks. We have one artist in particular whose maps have very approachable easy difficulties, but they're not high priority at the moment.

Regarding HP bar overlaps, we're not really bothered about that sort of thing, as long as it doesn't inhibit gameplay. There really isn't a lot of space to work with and spacing has to be relatively large for the sake of playability and aesthetics--rather than mappers compromising their maps for the sake of forcing patterns to fit, such things are overlooked.

Don't worry about hard maps either--once the next two packs are out, there will be quite a few challenging [Expert] maps. One or two mappers dropped some serious clangers with how they mapped them, but once they're fixed, they really will be great.
peppy
The existing downloadable packs also have pretty challenging experts ;).
spyro27
Btw, what is the song name that's on the main menu and the song playing through the tutorial?
peppy
It's an original by my friend nekodex.
CNM501
I'm still sixth on Sunrise on Expert mode lol. Anyway this is easily one of the best rhythm games on the App Store at the moment. Any updates on the Android version? I recently acquired a new phone and also iTouch is broken so I can't play this anymore... :(
peppy
Throw me an email at stream@ppy.sh with your dropbox account email address if you'd like to help with android testing in the near future.
Roga-don
I loved the new pack, Pure Ruby Expert Mode is so awesome o.o
bomber34
I also love this change with the dynamic Background (or however you call it :) )
I love this game <3
Edit: 333 post yay :D
peppy

Roga-don wrote:

I loved the new pack, Pure Ruby Expert Mode is so awesome o.o
I couldn't agree more.

bomber34 wrote:

I also love this change with the dynamic Background (or however you call it :) )
I love this game <3
Glad you like <3.
CXu
Aaaaah now I feel more sad that I don't own an iPhone or iPad. ;_;
Someone needs to make a video of these songs so I can seeeeeeeeeee. Oh and android~

But yeah, keep up the good work. I've tried the free songs with a friends iPhone and iPad, and it's awesome \o\
Drakari_old
I really like this "sale" thing, 16 songs for $5.

New pack is really nice too.
Sarumaru_old
Can Stream haz a mascotz?? *WHISTLES*
ferailo9
Now, I must say, this is fantastic.
I always had trouble getting my friends to play, but now that it's more accessible and more (dare i say it) fun, everyone's getting all up ins.

I have a question though:
Hypothetically, could I create, on my own, songs that are intended to be made into osu!stream maps, and expect them to be available for free?
Assuming, of course, that the songs would even get in in the first place...
D33d
Feel free to contact peppy with any music that you've made. I kind of want to do the same, because it'd be great to create music that, as a mapper, I know would be suited to the game perfectly.

If your music's nice and has some variance, then I, for one, would be happy to map it for you!
XenoWarrior

peppy wrote:

We do have an android testing build available, but it seems to have some issues. I haven't personally looked into android development yet and Intermezzo (who is working on it) doesn't seem to have much time lately, but you can contact me on IRC if you would like to give it a test run.
I know this post was a while a go, but I was reading through, is it possible that I could give it a try on my Android Tablet?
Even if it has some issues, I'll probably try to have a go at coding on it ;D
Mithos
Is osu!droid a port of osu!stream or of the PC osu!? When I finally get a phone I do not want to deal with apple but I've played osu!stream and I want itttt
XenoWarrior

Mithost wrote:

Is osu!droid a port of osu!stream or of the PC osu!? When I finally get a phone I do not want to deal with apple but I've played osu!stream and I want itttt
Osu!droid is actually a port of the official Osu! on the PC. Osu!stream is a complete different game.
Just to tell you the facts :P
Elisha_old

peppy wrote:

Daru wrote:

So you were able to contact the creators of the songs and obtain rights to use them in osu!stream?
Yes, permission has been obtained.

Daru wrote:

The iPad on the site looks a bit funky:
I'm surprised that's all you noticed ^^;. I have a bit to fix on that site.
Hello, I recently downloaded Osu!Stream and bought two map packs and I love the game! Thank you for making it accessable to non-jailbroken iPods, and I will continue to be active on the game.

I also have a high score:
I got an "A" on SkyMarshell's "It's True"
Not too amazing, it's just kind of impressive considering I'm only thirteen :D

I also hope that someone will make a regular osu! beatmap of this song, I love it!

Great job, peppy!
D33d

Kiosk14 wrote:

Hello, I recently downloaded Osu!Stream and bought two map packs and I love the game! Thank you for making it accessable to non-jailbroken iPods, and I will continue to be active on the game.

I also have a high score:
I got an "A" on SkyMarshell's "It's True"
Not too amazing, it's just kind of impressive considering I'm only thirteen :D

I also hope that someone will make a regular osu! beatmap of this song, I love it!

Great job, peppy!
Glad you're enjoying it so far and congratulations on the rank! Enjoy the other packs if you can get them as well, because they--especially cranky and SHIKI--are also very fun.

The release of a new pack is very imminent--think within a day or two, if things go as expected--and while the music in it might not be to everybody's tastes, the maps themselves are very, very well made. There are also more packs on the horizon, so with any luck, we might actually see a semblance of a release schedule again. Fingers crossed.
Elisha_old
Yes, I will most likely be downloading those soon. :D
After getting those, most likely I'll donate some. The osu!supporter logo just would be nice to have 8-)
Also, is there a chance of logging on with an osu! acct.? I don't have a Twitter, and I'd hate to get one just for one game.
Marcin

XenoWarrior wrote:

Osu!droid is actually a port of the official Osu! on the PC.Osu!stream is a complete different game.
Just to tell you the facts :P
Brian Jacko
I'm not sure where this post belongs because I didn't see a thread for Osu! stream, but I was wondering how many people actually play the Ipad version of the game Osu! Stream. I have been hoping for more beatmaps for the longest time and I also was hoping they would implement new mechanics like hitting 3 or more notes at the same time or have more than two sliders going at the same time. If it wasn't for Osu! Stream, I would have never even cared to try the PC version. The sluggishness of Osu! Stream is one of the reasons why I came here to play. What about you guys? Do you like the finger version better or the PC version? I think I'm going with the touch screen, but the PC version is really fun too. I'm disappointed how neglected the touch screen version has been lately. It's such a good game and it is my most favorite rhythm game of all time. I like it even more than Rerave, and that says a lot because I'm a major fan of Rerave as well.
D33d
Making worthwhile maps requires lots of time and people to actually make the things. There was a point where we had an actual team, but people ended up dropping like flies. Expect some free charts and possibly another pack or two somewhat soon.

Multitouch is limited to two at a time, because the maps need to be universal to all iDevices and two objects are enough to get the point across. Any more and the maps would become needlessly cluttered. Besides, the multitouch bars would need to be re-coded to make them look right, as far as I know.

Thanks for showing such interest in the project. When people say that they still care about it, it gives us more motivation to keep going and keep bringing you the best possible maps. It seems that the competent mappers will have several weeks of free time, so we should be able to plough through a good amount of content if we play our cards right.
Brian Jacko
Terribly sorry about posting this in the wrong forum. I must have missed that. Yes, whoever you guys are who do the mapping for Osu! Stream, you are all fantastic and have made me so very happy. I seriously don't want to see the game die because it really is amazing. I understand about the coding involved and how it would take too much work to implement multi taps. Much love and appreciation for your work. I have tried to bug my arcade to get a dedicated cabinet, but there hasn't been much interest in my arcade sadly.
XPJ38
t/58884/start=0
Will merge.
D33d
I'm bumping this thread to announce that we have a new pack, by Koizumi! If all goes well, this will be followed by another pack and then a focus on free songs. We know how badly you're wanting free stuff and we came across a goldmine of Creative Commons stuff, so this will be a priority. Expect a mixture of old and new, since we're trying to broaden our scope with musical styles.

Also, remember that we can't pull paid licenses out of thin air--the likes of Skrillex and moeblob OPs may never happen, but that would depend on how far the game progresses. Perhaps one day--after all, OK Go was somehow able to happen.
Derekku
Looks like I haven't posted in this thread yet...

Brian Jacko wrote:

new mechanics like hitting 3 or more notes at the same time or have more than two sliders going at the same time
This may still be a possibility, and I would definitely be happy to have more challenging Experts with 3+ multitouch ;)
D33d
Not too likely to happen, since it'd need separate iPad maps. The maps are hard to make as-is and two objects are enough to be emphatic and balanced.

Still, if there's enough content out over the coming months, we could maybe come back to some expert maps with an iPad mode. The circles would be smaller and there'd be even more multitouch. It'll probably be a nice sidestep to the "we want more challenge!" problem... Which will probably never be satisfied.
Lestatx
The app doesnt appear on the app store. Was it pulled?
Platinumsj

Lestatx wrote:

The app doesnt appear on the app store. Was it pulled?
Yes, unfortunately...
zxcv
What happened to osu!stream?
Espionage724

- O No De Ra - wrote:

What happened to osu!stream?
https://twitter.com/pepppppy/status/419344134847995904

In short, the app was pulled because a copyright dispute.
peppy
Closing this thread until issues are resolved. Thanks for your support thus far.