forum

osu!stream Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
Azure_Kite
It was brought to ppy's attention that ZUN has a policy where he doesn't allow derivative works (i.e. music themed from his own, by different artists), to be purchaseable on Mobile Media, such as phones and portable consoles, etc.

This doesn't really affect osu!, as Touhou" songs here are available freely, iirc.

For that reason, ppy took it from the iTunes Appstore for a while, to get it ready without violating those terms.
peppy

Azure_Kyte wrote:

This doesn't really affect osu!, as Touhou" songs here are available freely, iirc.
That's pretty flawed logic. As far as I can tell ZUN doesn't allow any of his content to be used in any other games, nor in any way on the App Store / Marketplace. Of course, you are in charge of your own uploads here so that doesn't concern me at the moment.
lepidopodus
http://kourindou.exblog.jp/14218252/
AppStore や Androidマーケットでの販売
Hmm, does this includes music from touhou games? Anyway, it's not that free.
peppy
I did contact directly with specific details, so it is safe to say yes.

See http://osustream.com/ for further details.
lepidopodus
Interestingly Bad Apple and Cirno's Perfect Math Class were used in the game named Music GunGun 2. Anyway Zun doesn't want to use touhou remixes in apps, seems we have no choice... I'll wait.
peppy
Music GunGun was released by Taito. ZUN used to work for Taito. Maybe something to do with it :).
EvianBubble
Finally got around to posting haha. After playing, I can safely say that it's very fun to play, and it even got my brother into it! XD Looking forward to the new versions (more songs especially, since I don't like most of the songs available atm, not to mention spacing is really screwy lol) :D
Question about the online ranking - would we need to replay the songs for the scores to be submitted? :O

Overall, cool game, actually someone asked me how I got so good if I'd only been playing for a couple of days and I was like, lol yea, I played the PC version XD
peppy

EvianBubble wrote:

not to mention spacing is really screwy lol :D
It's not "screwy" as it has been through a pretty strenuous QC process. It is different to PC osu! (constant distance spacing) but has to be in order to be playable on small screens. Future maps will feature similar spacing.

EvianBubble wrote:

Question about the online ranking - would we need to replay the songs for the scores to be submitted?
Most of the songs you have won't be available for ranking. The ones that will be will need to be replayed, yes.
Saeris
Just forced a collegue to test it on his iphone.. now i need it for android hehe.
First impressions was awesome~
EvianBubble

peppy wrote:

EvianBubble wrote:

not to mention spacing is really screwy lol :D
It's not "screwy" as it has been through a pretty strenuous QC process. It is different to PC osu! (constant distance spacing) but has to be in order to be playable on small screens. Future maps will feature similar spacing.

EvianBubble wrote:

Question about the online ranking - would we need to replay the songs for the scores to be submitted?
Most of the songs you have won't be available for ranking. The ones that will be will need to be replayed, yes.
Wow, thanks for the reply! :O I guess I am just so used to PC spacing that stream's is messing me up :P Eagerly awaiting the next version :3
Drakari_old
Does this mean it's back in the app store now? *Goes to check anyway, making this post meaningless*
mm201
Just to clarify, osu!stream maps are generally spaced. Jumps are very easy with two hands, which is why you see so many of them. Just like osu!, you should expect to see them at intuitive spots. Spacing with multi-touch patterns is something of an oxymoron but one of the two objects will usually be spaced, and these patterns should be obvious because of connecting lines.

Likewise, large spacing is easier to see and play, so it gets used on all difficulties.
Roga-don

<33333
jjrocks

Roga-don wrote:

<33333
.........how
MMzz

jjrocks wrote:

Roga-don wrote:

<33333
.........how
^ ;_;
Gabi

osu!stream wrote:

while the iOS version isn’t available, android is progressing smoothly, and quite playable.
It's probably not released to the public yet, but i'm guessing it's going to be available soon.
D33d
The Android version appears to be progressing much more quickly than what I'd envisioned. At this rate, the game will be out by the time I get a new phone.

peppy, you wonderful thing!
papohxc
I dont see the game in the app store, it says "not available in U.S."

which countries are available for download?
peppy
Please see the notice on the website.
Bakario
wow,this hits looks like to the hits of osu!stream :B

Nightcore Skin Fiesta Version! [Multi-13 Language!] :<
Dexus

peppy wrote:

I know at least one person has already made one despite what I said, anyways.
NoHitter
@Dexus
You do know that there was no reason to post that?
You're only encouraging people to actually disobey peppy and get the skin themselves.
peppy
Actually I think the reason to post it was to show his disrespect. It's all good.
Dexus
@NoHitter @peppy
I'm not going to release any of these files at all. I already had them kind of made while I was sending the PM to you peppy. I wasn't doing it out of disrespect, sorry if I offended you. I will remove my posts if you want me to.
chineseman72
I was just wondering if the game is out on the Itunes store yet because I still can't find it.(Maybe because i'm in China for vacation?)
Drakari_old
The game has been temporarily recalled from the appstore because a very large portion of the library was discovered to be illegal. (Note that it seems to be the developers who noticed the problem rather than iTunes complaining in case that wasn't clear).
peppy
I think you completely missed the point there.
Xanine

Drakari wrote:

The game has been temporarily recalled from the appstore because a very large portion of the library was discovered to be illegal. (Note that it seems to be the developers who noticed the problem rather than iTunes complaining in case that wasn't clear).
It's more like he got permission to use touhou songs from ZUN, but ZUN changed his policy for usage of his works so the app had to be pulled.

translation of ZUN's policy on his blog by Gensokyo.org
http://kourindou.exblog.jp/14218252/
最近、企業が作成する時に二次創作グッズが増えてきたので、それに合わせてガイドラインを改定しました。
Lately the numbers of derivative works explode when commercial works are
released, so I wanted to update the guidelines with that in mind.
 こんな感じでお願いします。
I hope things can work something like this.
 基本的に同人サークルの二次創作に関するガイドラインは今までとそんなに変わっておりません。
The basic rules for derivatives by doujin circles aren't really that
different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
東方Projectの版権を利用する際のガイドライン 2011年版
Guidelines for using the Touhou Project setting - ver. 2011

これは東方Projectのガイドラインを2011年現在の状況にあわせて改定したものです。
This is a revision to the Touhou Project guidelines, updated for the
state of affairs in 2011.

○同人活動での利用について
Use in doujin activities
[n.b. - things doujin circles should do when making Touhou stuff, like
having contact information visible, attribution, etc.]

基本的に今までのガイドラインを踏襲してください。
Basically, just follow the guidelines as they've been up 'til now.
 詳しい内容は、以前の回答をまとめていただいたページがありますので、そちらを参考にしてください。
Detailed information is in the questions and answers collectod on this
page, so please have a look.
  →http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Yoyo/1736/t-081-2.html

なお、同人作品として発表されたそのものを商業流通に乗せてしまうことは基本的に許可しません。
Selling doujin works in commercial channels is generally not allowed.

*内容で基本的には個別で許可を出したり公認したりする事はありませんので、創作活動は自己判断、自己責任でお願いします。
I don't generally review or veto the contents of independent works, so please use
your own personal judgment in and take responsibility for your works.

○企業グッズでの申請について
Applications for commercial goods

企業でグッズを販売する場合は、許可が必要です。
You need my permission to sell commercial goods.

東方の二次創作や二次使用についての問い合わせについては、
 現在友人に受付窓口を協力してもらっています。
A friend of mine has graciously offered to serve as the point of
contact for inquiries about works derived from Touhou.

企業の方へはこちらから折り返し連絡をしますので、以下のフォームから問い合わせてください。
We'll promptly address inquiries from commercial outfits, so please use the following
form to contact us.
  https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFBiWldmOUlCYWpWZm9IWFAxVmJpU0E6MQ

*また、企業グッズで性的表現(性的表現のある抱き枕など)のあるものはご遠慮ください。
In addition, please refrain from making commercial goods of a sexualized
nature (such as dakimakura covers with sexual imagery).

○二次創作物の制限について
Restrictions on derivative works

同人・企業とも、次の内容に関連するものについては、現在の所、二次創作を制限させてください。
I'd like to place the following restrictions on all
derivative works, regardless of whether they're commercial or independent:

・アニメーション(※)が主体となる作品の有償での展開
For-profit development of works whose main element is animation(*)
 ・Xbox360 インディーズゲームでの販売
Sale of software on the XBox 360 Indies channel
 ・AppStore や Androidマーケットでの販売(企業の方は問い合わせしてください)
Sale of software via the App Store, Android Market, etc. (for commercial
parties, please get in contact with me)

・原作の流通(一般的な同人流通)を越えた形態での販売(海外向けのダウンロード販売等)
Sale of works in channels that are further reaching than the distribution channels
used by the original works. The original works are primarily sold in general doujin
channels. So, please refrain from using download sales sites primarily oriented for
overseas customers, etc.
 ・その他過剰な性的表現や、特定の個人、団体、人種などを中傷する内容等、こちらで社会通念上著しく不適応だと判断した場合
Other works (e.g. works of excessive sexual depictions and works that would slander
a particular person, group or race) when we determine that such works are extremely
inappropriate given societal norms.

このガイドラインの発表以前に発表されたもので、これらの内容にあてはまるものについては、公開している方に判断をお任せします。
I'll leave the question of what to do with works released before this update
to the guidelines that may fall astray of one of its provisions up to the
judgment of their creators.

※ ここでいうアニメーションとはいわゆる「セルアニメーション」のことで、3Dソフトで作成されたものや、イラストとエフェクトで構成されるようなものは除きます。
* By this I mean so-called "traditional cel animation"; computer-generated 3D
animation and 2D illustrations with special effects processing aren't included
in this restriction.
Drakari_old
Really? I thought it had just only been realized afterward that ZUN had changed the policy earlier... Well there I go trying to explain things I don't actually know and just ending up as a derp.
Light Beam
is it really available in the US only? Can't seem to find Osu!Stream here on Philippines
Xanine

Light Beam wrote:

is it really available in the US only? Can't seem to find Osu!Stream here on Philippines
It's still not available anywhere.
For the iOS, peppy is almost ready to resubmit it to the app store.
http://osustream.uservoice.com/forums/1 ... on-thanks-

Not sure when the android will be out, but it seems like it'll be available very soon too.
http://news.osustream.com/day/2011/08/21/
Light Beam

Xanine wrote:

Light Beam wrote:

It's still not available anywhere.
For the iOS, peppy is almost ready to resubmit it to the app store.
http://osustream.uservoice.com/forums/1 ... on-thanks-

Not sure when the android will be out, but it seems like it'll be available very soon too.
http://news.osustream.com/day/2011/08/21/
hmm i might have misunderstood. i thought it was already available. :\
Xanine

Light Beam wrote:

hmm i might have misunderstood. i thought it was already available. :\
It was, but then it was pulled out of the app store temporarily for containing touhou songs which broke ZUN's policy for usage of his works on itunes. (I probably wasn't clear on that. Sorry)

From what I've read, osu!stream will be released very soon without any touhou songs but will have new songs.
-----
lol...v1.1 sure takes long enough to arrive, but anyway...

I reread both the entire thread and the interview on the osu!monthly...but there are still some technical aspects that I feel a little unclear or, some game elements that peppy didn't really go into details to explain them :o
So, a few questions:

1. Firstly, do those "hand-picked beatmappers" get paid?
As this is a commercial product and peppy actually benefit from this game, it only make sense that beatmappers wouldn't want to spend their free time doing free works.

2. Can someone give me a insight regarding how the score calculation works?
Played the game few times, I can see the score system got revised. Makes sense because peppy has introduced new types of notes in this game, so some kind of formula revisit is needed. But there are something else I noticed beyond the simple "revisit"...
(1). Seems that it's impossible to get a score more than 1 million points(unless someone can spin really fast)...?
(2). Accuracy Bonus...is it based directly on your accuracy, or how many Geki/Elite Beats/300s you get, or some other calculation method...?
Sometimes I thought I was playing fine, but was surprised when I received no accuracy bonus at all lol
(3). And the rank letter...is "A" the highest?

Now the biggest question:
3. What's the initial configruation in mind when peppy's developing osu!stream?
The original EBA/Ouendan was played on the resistive NDS's 3-inch touchscreen using a pen or a finger.
Osu! can be played on different input devises such as touchscreen, tablet, mouse, keyboard.
But I think in osu!stream, the experience gap across different settings will be too huge between different sizes of screen(ex: 4-inch, 7-inch, and 10-inch as in smartphones and tablets). There's enough space for me to place my two fingers on a tablet screen, but little crowded on a smartphone. Different circle size(if it's small on tablet, it will be really tiny on a phone), screen resolution, pixel density, etc etc....all these factors needed to be considered when mapping on this game.
That's not say it can't be done, in fact I believe peppy has these in mind when he implement the Autoplay feature, which is a clear demonstration of how to properly play a map(or "solve" a map without getting your fingers tied together lol) It also opens some possibilities for mapping technique too, such as you can place 2 overlap sliders at the same time.
And, if peppy plans to add more finger support at the same time, he really need to establish a mapping guide to accompany that.

lol my english sucks......spending hours on online dictionary checking my spelling :3
Roga-don

----- wrote:

Now the biggest question:
3. What's the initial configruation in mind when peppy's developing osu!stream?
The original EBA/Ouendan was played on the resistive NDS's 3-inch touchscreen using a pen or a finger.
Osu! can be played on different input devises such as touchscreen, tablet, mouse, keyboard.
But I think in osu!stream, the experience gap across different settings will be too huge between different sizes of screen(ex: 4-inch, 7-inch, and 10-inch as in smartphones and tablets). There's enough space for me to place my two fingers on a tablet screen, but little crowded on a smartphone. Different circle size(if it's small on tablet, it will be really tiny on a phone), screen resolution, pixel density, etc etc....all these factors needed to be considered when mapping on this game.
That's not say it can't be done, in fact I believe peppy has these in mind when he implement the Autoplay feature, which is a clear demonstration of how to properly play a map(or "solve" a map without getting your fingers tied together lol) It also opens some possibilities for mapping technique too, such as you can place 2 overlap sliders at the same time.
And, if peppy plans to add more finger support at the same time, he really need to establish a mapping guide to accompany that.

lol my english sucks :3
Your english isn't that bad o.o
I heard that they're doing their best mapping beatmaps that can be played on iphone and ipad, but I think it should be better to have separate maps between Ipad and Iphone. There's too much differencies in the screen's dimensions, and I don't think they could do more than 2 fingers on the iphone, but on the ipad it could be so much fun !
lepidopodus
I just wanted to hear that how osu!stream is different with other touch-based rhythm games, but people are just introducing more and more rhythm games, lololol

Maybe I shouldn't have strated that. I wanted to post something more, but I'll just stop. Let's go to videogame category or somewhere.

EDIT:
Made new thread for 'Rhythm Games for Smartphone/Tablet PC': viewtopic.php?f=17&p=1045701#p1045701

EDIT2:
About 10 posts that were considered as off-topic were moved to the new thread. This post wasn't moved, though.
-----

lepidopodus wrote:

I just wanted to hear that how osu!stream is different with other touch-based rhythm games, but people are just introducing more and more rhythm games, lololol
Well...actually I'm quite intrested in how other touch-based rhythm games work around my aforementioned issue, so don't need to feel bad >w<
Ephemeral
as far as I know, osu!stream mappers are volunteers and map because they enjoy the prospect of doing so rather than for any particular monetary gain. will peppy pay them? up to him.

i'm not familiar with the changes in the scoring algorithm, but i can say that osu!stream is pretty much built around being played on a typical iphone screen held horizontally and with the thumbs used as the primary input method. that is the briefing given to mappers, at least.
Drakari_old

Ephemeral wrote:

thumbs used as the primary input method.
So not intended to be used by me, but I'm pretty sure nobody else in the world holds an iPhone like me.
Behon
So I have an alert that an update is finally available, but when I click the download link, I get a "no longer available" error.
show more