forum

Make a Graveyarded Map Limit.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
This was from a discussion in #modhelp. This is Sakura Hana's idea, mostly, but I just decided to post it here.

So people have a bunch of graveyarded maps, and some people will upload maps just to have them graved. This takes up bandwidth and stuff, so what we decided was that there should be a limit to how many graved maps people can have.

Upon uploading a map, the system can look at your profile, and go "whoops! You have X amount of beatmaps in the graveyard! Get some of those ranked before uploading new maps!"

This can be done to save bandwidth space slightly, and make it so people will actually think more before uploading stuff.

The limit can be like, 20-25 or something. Not too low, because then I will never be able to upload a new map if its too low ;D.
Starrodkirby86
A limit will barely lower bandwidth.

Rarely there'll be a mapper that will ever hit any limit whatsoever in the first place. Not only does the time it takes to grave something take a while, but for someone to hit such a limit, they'll already be a longtime member in the community. It'll only affect a very, very small percentage of people who simply upload something with no intention of getting it ranked, and surely no one is going to do that twenty or so times. The community isn't trigger-happy with their uploads enough to warrant a quota.

Not only that, another definite qualm would be that the amount of "map-switching" would rise. Map-switching's the act of completely changing an old beatmap into a new one. This sort of thing is nukable, especially as the stars are transferred in the process. An infamous case of this would be Nekomiya Nono's map. If there were to be a Graveyard limit, paranoid mappers or mappers facing that limit would definitely just ask to revive some abandoned graveyard map and switch it out into a new one.

There's little to achieve coming from this, personally.
Soaprman
Are there users with tons of graved maps that prompted this in the first place? Like, more than the 25 limit you suggested and frequently enough that it's a problem worth requesting a fix for?

If something like this were to be implemented, I'd like deletion to be an alternative to pursuing a rank. Not that I ever see myself having that many maps uploaded, but...
Sakura

Soaprman wrote:

Are there users with tons of graved maps that prompted this in the first place?
Look at the thread's creators graveyarded map list, and by looking at some of those maps... you can see why it worries me
Soaprman
Well, I see CDFA has 30 graved maps, yes. CDFA alone having a bunch of graved maps doesn't seem like reason to implement a limit though. Where is the evidence that this is an issue? I think most users probably don't have a huge list of graved maps.

In short, no, I don't see why it worries you.
Sakura
Actually when i said that in #modhelp it was a spur of the momment joke, but seems like he thought it would be a good idea :>
pieguyn
I disagree with this very much. It's too hard and takes a long time to get maps ranked (plus some graveyarded maps might just need a remap, when the mapper doesn't want to map it again). It's nice to have maps submitted just for the sake of them being submitted publicly, even if they're just in the graveyard. :cry: Besides, IMO this isn't much of a problem in the first place...
ziin
Feature requests should always solve a problem.

I don't see any problem with someone having 50 graved beatmaps, not that anyone has 50 graved beatmaps.
SapphireGhost

ziin wrote:

I don't see any problem with someone having 50 graved beatmaps, not that anyone has 50 graved beatmaps.
Come on GladiOol, get one more graved!
NatsumeRin

ziin wrote:

I don't see any problem with someone having 50 graved beatmaps
This. If it is set to save bandwidth.... wait how many people will download them? just assume a mapper have 1 ranked map and 50 graved maps, i can bet the ranked map will still be downloaded 50 times more than those graved maps.

What about to make mappers able to delete their own graved maps?
Equivalent_old

NatsumeRin wrote:

What about to make mappers able to delete their own graved maps?
^ I support this even if Im certain 90% it wont happen
mekadon_old
Can't agree much though. A lot of users at the older days map for the lulz so that people can download it from the site/direct easily, still happens at present.

Ability to delete own maps sounds good though.
OzzyOzrock
then people who liked those maps will cry
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

Sakura Hana wrote:

Actually when i said that in #modhelp it was a spur of the momment joke, but seems like he thought it would be a good idea :>
Oh.
GladiOol

SapphireGhost wrote:

ziin wrote:

Come on GladiOol, get one more graved!
I had 50, untill people wanted written in the stars ranked.

Now I have to upload a map just for the purpose of graveyarding it. That's something I never did before ):
Glass
Fuck no. So what now we can't map for fun and upload them anymore?

+1 to Rin's idea instead.
dvorak_old
I don't share my map by BSS , but this idea have no point for me.

Even if we have 100000 graveyard maps on server, we have enough space for them.
Shiirn
In conclusion:

Worries about memory space are negligible - It's very cheap and a 1-time thing to get much more space if the servers will ever need it - hard drive space is pretty damn cheap.

Worries about bandwidth are negligible - graved maps are not downloaded anywhere near as much as other maps - hand me almost a thousand graved maps and i'll show you a handful of ranked maps that were downloaded more than all of the graved ones put together.
James2250
Yeah for all of the reasons people have given here I don't see a limit for graveyarded maps happening any time soon. It would only effect 0.1% of the osu community and they would find ways to get around it anyway while not really changing the bandwidth etc.

However letting users delete their own graveyarded maps (maybe after a certain amount of time or something) seems like a better idea and could happen in the future.
haha5957
can we even download graveyarded maps? since we can't, we dont need this limit.
instead agreed to James2250
Sakura
It's funny how this was all created from a joke i said on #modhelp =P
Faust
Amazing.