forum

Finger locking, how do you avoid them?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan
I'm posting this out of desperation and coz the concept of "play more" is kinda too general.

Whenever I do streams or bursts, my fingers either lock up halfway through or if I do finish them, I can't manage to hit the single note after 'em coz of confusion. I heard this is a mental kind of thing coz of anticipation of the notes? But I just can't help to anticipate streams and such coz even when I play that certain map with a stream for the first time, I just kinda sense them with how the pattern of the rhythm is going (like drumrolls in the song and such) so... any methods in avoiding getting them? Finger locks I mean. I've heard solutions to this tho like playing high bpm maps to get your mind of it and practicing slow maps to have good finger coordination, which is more reliable?
1Alone
Reserving post, would also like to know why o.O
Braixen-Desu
Practice death streams at a low bpm
then high bpm
volía no more finger locking
N0thingSpecial
Actually a comfortable stream speed would do, you will focus more on timing if you're confident (relatively speaking) on your tapping.
kai99
I dunno what exactly finger locking is, but if it's that time when you miss streams because you don't press or don't move your hands enough so that the keys don't reset, I usually try to mash my keys with bigger action and lighter touches. For me it mostly happens on my laptop keyboard and less on my membrane. Well at my level there's no real like, "legit" streams so it isn't a problem for me yet.. but hope it gets better for you. play moar.
abraker

kai99 wrote:

I dunno what exactly finger locking is, but if it's that time when you miss streams because you don't press or don't move your hands enough so that the keys don't reset, I usually try to mash my keys with bigger action and lighter touches. For me it mostly happens on my laptop keyboard and less on my membrane. Well at my level there's no real like, "legit" streams so it isn't a problem for me yet.. but hope it gets better for you. play moar.
Actually I experience finger locking and it's annoying as hell. It's mostly prevelent in people with the crooked fingers syndrome or whatever it is called. Best I can describe it is that your finger refuses to bend due to one of the cartilages/bones being pulled differently than otherwise. It's not painful, it just as if your finger lost its joint.

Now to me, this usually happens when I orient my hand into a more horizontal position and attempt to mash hard. So what I recommend is curling your fingers and trying to tap swiftly with no strain. The last part is easier said than done. To hit swiftly, your finger needs to spend as less time on the key as possible. My previous analysis shows players' fingers typical spend about 20 - 40ms on the key depending on how fast they need to hit, but it's possible to go as low as <20ms. It's easier to do on keyboards with high actuation because the keys would make the fingers bounce off, so idk how it would work on mechs, but I let fingers go as high as 2-3 cm of the keys and tap hard enough to just barely trigger the key press.

Otherwise, play more.

TL;DR: Curl fingers, allow fingers to go as high as 2-3cm from the key, tap just hard enough to barely trigger the key press, and allow the key to bounce your finger off if possible
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

abraker wrote:

Actually I experience finger locking and it's annoying as hell. It's mostly prevelent in people with the crooked fingers syndrome or whatever it is called. Best I can describe it is that your finger refuses to bend due to one of the cartilages/bones being pulled differently than otherwise. It's not painful, it just as if your finger lost its joint.

Now to me, this usually happens when I orient my hand into a more horizontal position and attempt to mash hard. So what I recommend is curling your fingers and trying to tap swiftly with no strain. The last part is easier said than done. To hit swiftly, your finger needs to spend as less time on the key as possible. My previous analysis shows players' fingers typical spend about 20 - 40ms on the key depending on how fast they need to hit, but it's possible to go as low as <20ms. It's easier to do on keyboards with high actuation because the keys would make the fingers bounce off, so idk how it would work on mechs, but I let fingers go as high as 2-3 cm of the keys and tap hard enough to just barely trigger the key press.

Otherwise, play more.

TL;DR: Curl fingers, allow fingers to go as high as 2-3cm from the key, tap just hard enough to barely trigger the key press, and allow the key to bounce your finger off if possible
I use a laptop keyboard and there's just this gap (the areas beside the touchpad) between the keyboards in it and the place where I rest my wrists, which is near the downward left edge of the laptop and its hindering me from fully curling my fingers. Should I try to rest it on the area beside the touchpad instead?
1Alone

Hibiya-chan wrote:

I use a laptop keyboard
Can't you get a keyboard instead? Steal from your house's pc maybe lol. I would pretty much prefer keyboard over the laptop one's, as laptop's have a ridiculously short amount of travel distance (scissor switch) and it makes my finger uncomfortable because of the additional forces I'm applying to it IMO, could be a factor contributing to the finger locking thing (kind of disturbing my focus a bit, but again even on the keyboard I get finger-locked sometime :P), but it's a matter of personal preferences I guess. Though the speed does seem favorable, you'll going to be using a laptop with the z and x not functioning sooner or later lol (it'll break as the durability isn't that high)
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

1Alone wrote:

Hibiya-chan wrote:

I use a laptop keyboard
Can't you get a keyboard instead? Steal from your house's pc maybe lol. I would pretty much prefer keyboard over the laptop one's, as laptop's have a ridiculously short amount of travel distance (scissor switch) and it makes my finger uncomfortable because of the additional forces I'm applying to it IMO, could be a factor contributing to the finger locking thing (kind of disturbing my focus a bit, but again even on the keyboard I get finger-locked sometime :P), but it's a matter of personal preferences I guess. Though the speed does seem favorable, you'll going to be using a laptop with the z and x not functioning sooner or later lol (it'll break as the durability isn't that high)
this I still haven't decided till now. Believe me I was planning on buying a separate keyboard last year but I dunno, I didn't coz I can't think of another use of a separate keyboard instead if this (like how what use can I make of a tablet besides this game).
Sayorie
I rarely fingerlock after getting MX Blacks. It might be quite heavy, but the resistance makes it feel so mushy and has that strong rebound force, great for streaming (and stamina training, too).
kai99
i swear tho, using any keyboard than the laptop one gives much less strains on your fingers. laptop keys are hard to deal with because they are so shallow.
I Give Up
Fingerlocking is usually a mental thing yeah. You have to overcome by practising those patterns that you find are difficult. Tech maps are good for that.

But fingerlocking can also be a physiological thing. Like physical exhaustion, or muscle limitation. Or like how one arm is more coordinated than the other, the same applies for everything else in the body including fingers. You just have to adapt and work around it.

Personally I can't start streams on my index finger, I get fingerlock. So I just work around that and make sure I always start stream with middle. Despite being fully capable of full alternating jumps, singles, sliders, everything else. It's a serious draw back but it's not preventing me from becoming a descent stream type player.
1Alone

kai99 wrote:

i swear tho, using any keyboard than the laptop one gives much less strains on your fingers. laptop keys are hard to deal with because they are so shallow.
N0thingSpecial
Laptop keyboard can everything don't let your memes be dream

Seriously I can long stream 180bpm on my laptop keyword due to minimal resistance
1Alone

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Seriously I can long stream 180bpm on my laptop keyword due to minimal resistance
I'm suprised it still hasn't broken despite your play hours lol
1Alone

1Alone wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I'm suprised it still hasn't broken despite your play hours lol
N0thingSpecial
I do have separate mech keyboard for serious plays but my family will complain about the noise so I play with laptop keyboard most of the time
Spirit_Dreamer
Keyboards don't broke so easily.Mine is also still absolutely fine.
1Alone

Spirit_Dreamer wrote:

Keyboards don't broke so easily.Mine is also still absolutely fine.
You are aware that we are talking about laptop keyboards right? For singletaps yeah it's fine but death/long stream for a long time and that scissor switch in your laptop keyboard is going to break lol
kai99
streams dont make your laptop keyboards break, in my case it's my fingers that brek. xd
they're too shallow for me to tap properly.
show more