Total Posts
show more
awp
where's the charm in that?
Wojjan

They wrote:

Welcome to Off-Topic

• A Word of Warning Beforehand
Off-Topic is a part of the forum that is not quite the same as other subforums you'll find on the osu! board. It is a place where everything you read has to be taken with a pinch of salt: It's a forum that houses jokes about osu!, and its community, but also about Off-Topic itself, and even about parts of the internet entirely outside the game, some of which you might not even be familiar with! This implies two things:

◘ Because of a certain pervasive sarcasm around this subforum and its users, it's very important to have a good grasp on the English language. If not, you will probably misinterpret something or other. But if you don't, look Eʟsᴇᴡʜᴇʀᴇ and you might find that the subforum of your own language has an Off-Topic thread of its own!

◘ Because of a similar pervasive joking attitude, you're expected upon entering this forum to be able to roll with the punches. You're going to be "the new kid" in the social circle for a while, and you probably won't get a joke or two at first. Be flexible. Take a joke. Learn from mistakes. Act mature. Follow these guidelines and you'll find people will accept you a lot faster!

We Like It Cozy
So be flexible!

◘ Something a lot of people forget when you arrive here, is that the subcommunity in the subforum has a history of four years behind it! There's going to be a crowd of regulars and - like it or not - they'll influence what we consider a "quality" post. So, what can you do about that? First things first, we have a Wʜᴏʟᴇ Lᴏᴛ of Oᴛʜᴇʀ Pʟᴀᴄᴇs where you can Bᴇ Yᴏᴜʀsᴇʟғ and Mᴀᴋᴇ Fʀɪᴇɴᴅs. If you don't fit in in this crowd, odds are, with all the thousands of people on osu! you'll find a place where you do. But if you really want to make it work, be mindful of your audience. Test the waters first, take your time and take it easy.

THINGS TO DO:
- Check if your topic wouldn't fit better in any other subforum linked in the above little bit.
- Find out if the regulars are people you want to associate with. They won't leave for you, you're joining them.
- Join the conversation on things you like. You'll have more luck with an existing topic than a new one.
- Be yourself in a way that opens you up to us. Show us how you're awesome. You're making friends here.
- Be yourself in a way where you don't care about what people think about you. This is a community.

We Like It Smarmy
So take a joke!

◘ This subforum is built around quick wit, humor, and rough quipping. Especially that last bit is known to cause some issues. What if you post something hilarious, and somebody disagrees with you? They're even calling you names, what a dickwad! When somebody makes a joke about you, they probably don't mean it as a personal attack, even if it's worded this way. If you found somebody's post offensive, don't make a big scene in public about them being a bigger dickwad for calling you one, take it up with one of the moderators and they will get back to you shortly. An argument you avoid is one you both win.

THINGS TO DO:
- Make lighthearted jokes about anything and anyone. As long as it stays superficial, almost anything is allowed.
- Give people flak over the jokes they've posted or things they've said. Joke about them, like the above rule.
- Go overboard with the first two rules. When somebody asks you to stop, stop. Doubly so when a moderator contacts you.
- Throw around slurs and insults consistently without provocation.
- Use the above to weasel-word what constitutes harassment, against a user, person or group.
- Overreact or start a public fight when somebody else throws anything at you.

We Like It Tidy
So learn from mistakes!

◘ We have a bit of a way of organising ourselves in Off-Topic: keep it simple and consistent. Getting acquainted with the way the forum is built and what kind of topics go where is very important, because a lot of stuff which shouldn't go here ends up here because it is the less-serious part. Especially when creating a new topic, consider the following golden rule: can this thing I'm about to post generate five pages of discussion about the thing? If it can't, we have a Tʜʀᴇᴀᴅ Aʙᴏᴜᴛ Aʟʟ Kɪɴᴅs ᴏғ Tʜɪɴɢs and a Tʜʀᴇᴀᴅ Aʙᴏᴜᴛ Pᴇʀsᴏɴᴀʟ Tʜɪɴɢs which are both quite popular, and could get you a better response than making a fresh thread just for your subject would. If you're gutsy enough, you can always try, the worst thing is you'll fail.

THINGS TO DO:
- Create new threads with substantial, meaty, original content.
- Post things that aren't as substantial in threads designated for it, so that it may know its moment.
- Create duplicate threads about subject another thread already covers.
- Post in threads that are very old without something extremely substantial and meaty to add to them.
- Immediately shoot down any new thread without letting it have its run. Who knows what could happen?
- Make posts that don't add anything new such as replying with just "lol" or ">w<", or quoting someone without adding to it.

We Like It Serious (sometimes)
So act mature!

◘ While Off-Topic is a very fun forum to be a part of once you're settled in, it takes some effort to keep this entire show running smoothly. For this cause, there are two designated Off-Topic janitors: WOJJAN and DKUN. (that's me on the left!) We are responsible for the Off-Topic damage control: when somebody makes a thread here which should've gone elsewhere or already existed, we move and merge them. When a conversation gets out of hand, we lock a thread (and in worse cases move it to the Abandoned Wasteland) but while we don't often administer silences or timeouts to the ones responsible, we have friends who do. Anyone on the Admin team (which are those fine lads and lasses with the Green names) is also moderator in here, and counts as much as they do anywhere else on the forum. They still count here and they will have those powers, and are not afraid to use them. So if you fuck up along the way, and you get enough DINGS for the janitors to notice you as a DINGUS, expect some consequences.

THINGS TO DO:
- Report inappropriate behavior which wronged you or annoyed you to us, through PM or otherwise.
- Contact us for questions or information that's not about somebody who broke something. We can show you the way.
- Call us out on mistakes you think we might have made. We're human! It happens, and we'll gladly right the wrongs.
- Publicly complain about what you consider rude or wrongful intervention. It will only make things worse.
- Know that moderators are people too, with personal lives, sleep schedules, but also feelings (sort of).

I wrote a guide on OTHD for new users. Tell me what you think (tomorrow)
My eventual goal is writing a similar post about what's actually and concreetly going to change from OT Mk I to OT Mk II. Those two together will be the basic ruleset of the new OT.

I had an idea of making the old OT invisible somewhere during the merge, and come out with only a few of its absolute best threads left, all locked but visible to everyone in a separate Valhalla, subforum on the same level like Forum Games.
dkun
Well, so much for discussion; you just summed up everything I would of liked to of discussed, or much rather, it's ~perfect~.

Also I'm pretty sure that the old OT is going to be archived into Wasteland? (and we know what this means to users) Although, I do agree with taking out some of the best of the threads that are left, and separate Valhalla them.
Sakura
Not to mention she can now discuss it in the lounge
Wojjan
awp
A word of warning, paragraph three:

I say drop the bit about being "the new kid". We don't want to foster circle-jerking from the getgo; the idea is to start the forum fresh. The history will be there, but let's not call attention to it as if it's a requirement or expectation.

Because of a similar pervasive joking attitude, you're expected upon entering this forum to be able to roll with the punches. You're going to be "the new kid" in the social circle for a while, and you probably won't get a joke or two at first. Be flexible. Take a joke. Learn from mistakes. Act mature. Follow these guidelines and you'll find people will accept you a lot faster!

Scratch out that sentence, and suddenly you have pretty much everything OTHD should be in a single paragraph
Wojjan
I dunno, I still feel like people paying heed to they who came before them is important. Mostly because I care about my flock, I'm afraid the current regulars could end up with no place to stay on the forum were OT to change too much.

how about:
Because of a similar pervasive joking attitude, you're expected upon entering this forum to be able to roll with the punches. Be flexible. Take a joke. Learn from mistakes. Act mature. Follow these guidelines and you'll find that the people who were already around will accept you a lot faster!
just so the history keeps a little bit of merit
awp
Something like that, yeah. I'd rephrase it as "you'll find that the existing community will accept you a lot faster"
Sakura
It begins...
dkun
let's do this
Wojjan
' -'7
Wojjan

During your travels in the community of Oz!, you stumble upon an OPULENT THRONEROOM. In the middle is a pedestal on which two golden thrones stand, each harboring an equally golden statue - presumably king and queen. Between them, a crystal ball with an emerald, ephemeral flame inside. "Hello," the woman says. She seems to be dressed in pajamas, or at least robes, the kind you link with a powerful magician. "Welcome to our kingdom, I would say..." Her hand beckons you closer, and you recognise it as an order. The gate closes behind you. "But this golden palace is all that's left of it." The windows and holes in the wall give vision into an endless, inky black; a marble, solid galaxy. Like an empty canvas in space it is ready to be molded. "And good riddance, too." The king is speaking now. He seems to be a strong warrior, if not a swordsman at least a man who owns a sword. "Lawless bunch a' nothin'. Better off without 'em. Who's you, then? New generation?" His voice strikes you as a lot more warm than the magician's, even though they are both clearly statues. The warmth carries intimidation. The surroundings thunder when he speaks next. "Very well. We shall teach you the rules." And she fills in: "The rules of the game, yes! Let's begin right away!"

Words find their way into your mind...
Are you a man, or are you a mouse?

                                          I am a mouse

They wrote:

Welcome to Off-Topic

• A Word of Warning Beforehand
Off-Topic is a part of the forum that is not quite the same as other subforums you'll find on the osu! board. It is a place where everything you read has to be taken with a pinch of salt: It's a forum that houses jokes about osu!, and its community, but also about Off-Topic itself, and even about parts of the internet entirely outside the game, some of which you might not even be familiar with! This implies two things:

◘ Because of a certain pervasive sarcasm around this subforum and its users, it's very important to have a good grasp on the English language. If not, you will probably misinterpret something or other. But if you don't, look Eʟsᴇᴡʜᴇʀᴇ and you might find that the subforum of your own language has an Off-Topic thread of its own!

◘ Because of a similar pervasive joking attitude, you're expected upon entering this forum to be able to roll with the punches. Be flexible. Take a joke. Learn from mistakes. Act mature. Follow these guidelines and you'll find that the existing community will accept you a lot faster!

We Like It Cozy
So be flexible!

◘ Something a lot of people forget when you arrive here, is that the subcommunity in the subforum has a history of four years behind it! There's going to be a crowd of regulars and - like it or not - they'll influence what we consider a "quality" post. So, what can you do about that? First things first, we have a Wʜᴏʟᴇ Lᴏᴛ of Oᴛʜᴇʀ Pʟᴀᴄᴇs where you can Bᴇ Yᴏᴜʀsᴇʟғ and Mᴀᴋᴇ Fʀɪᴇɴᴅs. If you don't fit in in this crowd, odds are, with all the thousands of people on osu! you'll find a place where you do. But if you really want to make it work, be mindful of your audience. Test the waters first, take your time and take it easy.

THINGS TO DO:
- Check if your topic wouldn't fit better in any other subforum linked in the above little bit.
- Find out if the regulars are people you want to associate with. They won't leave for you, you're joining them.