forum

How to add Beatmaps to osu!lazer [OLD METHOD]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro
THIS WAS THE OLD METHOD, BEFORE AN "IMPORT FROM STABLE" BUTTON WAS IMPLEMENTED. IT'S MUCH EASIER TO USE THE "IMPORT FROM STABLE" METHOD, BUT YOU CAN USE THIS METHOD IF YOU WANT TO IMPORT ONLY A SELECT FEW MAPS!
Note to any moderators: if I wasn't supposed to share this information here, you can take this down, but the build has a public repository section for playable release stages. The purpose of this thread is to answer a common question with osu!lazer.

A good chunk of you might've heard of the osu!lazer build being developed by now, but on the off chance you want to get it and/or actually obtain it, you'll come to notice that osu!lazer has no beatmaps upon first launch, and not even the ones that come bundled with the normal game, at least in its current state.

This doesn't mean that lazer is "broken" in that sense (it is on others, but it's still being made, so...). osu!lazer's program files are just kept separate from the normal client's program files, and doesn't want to rely on the "Songs" folder in your original game's program files for whatever reason.

Now, while it does make it an inconvenience for your pre-finished build testing jimmies, the question is:

How do I add beatmaps in lazer?

Well, like the conventional way of adding a beatmap in the normal build, you add a .osz to osu!lazer. You should know how to get those by now as well, but if you need a reminder, there's these two common methods of getting a .osz:

1. You download a .osz from the osu! website. You've been doing this ever since you first started playing extra beatmaps past the built-in ones that came with the installer. It's the easier way of getting a .osz, but if you don't have the best internet, then it's time to bring on method 2!
  2. You use the normal build's editor to export a .osz of a beatmap you already have. It's a bit harder to do if you've never really used the editor, but really, it's the matter of simply choosing a beatmap, opening the "File" dropdown menu at the top left of the window, and then clicking "Export Package." After that, the "Exports" window containing your .osz will pop up.

Think some of the Adobe software out there, where it has an "Export as PDF" option.

So, do I just double-click on the .osz files once I've readied them?

Obviously no. They're still assigned to work with the normal client by default. Double-clicking any .osz will cause the beatmap to be added to the normal client, no exceptions.

So, do I use "Open With"?

Unfortunately, this won't work either. It's most likely because lazer's .exe is named identically to the normal client's .exe, and since you've already set defaults for the .osz to work with the normal client's .exe, you won't be able to override this with "Open With," and not even by setting protocols via Control Panel (well, that's my best guess, anyway. Lord knows if deleting the normal client's .exe would bypass this problem, but I'd recommend staying away from doing that).

Wait, can I not add a beatmap at all? AAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Lol, don't worry. Not all hope is lost. You know how you add .mp3 files to the Editor's song selection screen in order to start mapping them? Well, that's how you add a beatmap, and like in the normal client, you can add a beatmap anywhere in the game, even the Solo song selection screen.

>>>Click here to see it happens!<<<

And, that's it! You're well on your way to become an osu! lazer champion!

pls don't kill me for doing an outdated meme
KupcaH
Meh, why does this need a guide?
Caradine
wtf is this
KupcaH

Caradine wrote:

wtf is this
How to add Beatmaps to osu!lazer
kappa
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro

Caradine wrote:

wtf is this
osu!lazer is a sort of osu! 3.0 that's currently undergoing development, featuring overhauls of everything in the game. I just made this topic as a way for newcomers to the client to know how to add beatmaps to it, in case they're confused. I know I was.
Lyawi
Thanks for that, I gave someone this because of problems.
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro

Lyawi wrote:

Thanks for that, I gave someone this because of problems.
You're very much welcome!

Side-note: If any of the osu!lazer builds are available for Mac or Linux, can anyone with the platform let me know if this method also works for them, please?
-Makishima S-
+ for effort but seriously - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=osu!lazer+how+to+add+beatmaps

Moving .osz file into osu window is OLD method since forever and it works on all platforms.

Also, it's well explained in osu! official wiki - https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Beatmaps#Questions
Caradine
mcosu better :(
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro

Caradine wrote:

That program still needs some fixes for mouse gameplay. The cursor randomly veers off at times.
Caradine

BitCritterSpyro wrote:

Caradine wrote:

That program still needs some fixes for mouse gameplay. The cursor randomly veers off at times.
Really? I play with mouse and have 0 problems on mcosu. But haven't used it for that long so I'll keep looking :?
abraker

Caradine wrote:

Still waiting for score saving
Film28
There is a button in options that says Import beatmaps from stable. That's easier 8-)
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro

Film28 wrote:

There is a button in options that says Import beatmaps from stable. That's easier 8-)

It's JUST been added, though. These instructions were for before peppy and co ended up putting the import button in lazer.
-Makishima S-

BitCritterSpyro wrote:

Film28 wrote:

It's JUST been added, though. These instructions were for before peppy and co ended up putting the import button in lazer.
And it was still pointless.
KyraFresh
Yo idiots, if u want all ur beatmaps froms Stable to Lazer, all u do is open Lazer, go to settings and scroll all the way down and click on ''Imports beatmaps from stable''

and thats how its done :D
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro

KyraFresh wrote:

Yo idiots, if u want all ur beatmaps froms Stable to Lazer, all u do is open Lazer, go to settings and scroll all the way down and click on ''Imports beatmaps from stable''

and thats how its done :D

-_- when you don't read the first post's Red-font notice

I can at least thank you for bumping it to remind others of the single-map importing method.
FrozenLake182
can u just add the song by copy and paste the song folder
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro

FrozenLake182 wrote:

can u just add the song by copy and paste the song folder

I actually admire that question, but currently, there's no way to do that. In fact, for some reason, the osu!lazer folder that would have the beatmaps somehow takes its place in the Roaming folder, rather than the local folder, where the executable itself is.

But after that, when the Roaming folder has its "Files" folder, you'd think it'd have the beatmaps there, but it's a whole lotta scrambled incomprehensible data files. The beatmaps themselves are in there, but it's in a whole 'notha language to me.

https://streamable.com/c0ehd
NGspeedy
how about android?
Pumpkin_233
how about linux?
(ps.I can't download beatmaps by using osu!direct)