forum

B1rd's Study Blog

posted
Total Posts
show more
Taj
You shouldn't have HD.
gaming epic
Damn i have respect for you. Best of luck B1rd. (y)
Topic Starter
B1rd

UltraHenzie wrote:

You shouldn't have HD.
What's HD
johnmedina999

B1rd wrote:

which looks very promising in that it seems it will teach me all of the fundamentals of grammar, rather than just teaching me the Japanese equivalent of English phrases,
This is what you want, nice job finding this.
Taj
Hard distance, the equivalence of wonky aim.
Aim is usually the most important balance in skill, although skill is not important.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

Status Report:

Everything complete. I've been studying the book I got that has about 2300 of the most common kanji, I'm studying 8 a day so I should have it done in less than a year. 44 done so far. Obviously I don't memorise all of the readings and vocabulary of every kanji as memorising something without context would be inefficient and would take far too long, so as the book suggests I just memorise the generalised meanings and one or two of the readings. Learning the kanji systematically should give me a headstart in actually being able to read Japanese text, which will have huge practical benefits in that I'll be able to practice Japanese just by reading stuff off the internet.
I've also started on the A Guide to Japanese Grammar by Tae Kim, which looks very promising in that it seems it will teach me all of the fundamentals of grammar, rather than just teaching me the Japanese equivalent of English phrases, which textbooks seem mainly to do. Though I still think textbooks will be useful for practice and learning practical words and phrases.

Of course I've also been doing exercises 3 times a week, just basic calisthenics and stretches. I've improved a bit since I've started, now I can do 35 pushups (with my chest touching the floor), 12 pull ups, 40+ squats etc., and I can get my palms on the floor with my legs straight. I've been thinking of joining a gym, but I don't really want to pay the membership costs. It's something I'll consider.
Tae Kim's guide to Japanese - that's a name I haven't heard in 5 years.

So you found what I used when I was a first day learner.
DJ Enetro
This isn'tis probably what Railey2 means when (s)he was saying "give feedback in addition to receiving"...
kai99
good god this thread is reminding me to learn japanese too. soon (tm)
Topic Starter
B1rd
Comfy Slippers
I remember having an android app for kanji. It was really useful.
kai99
hahhahahahhaha that pic got me.
kanjis are impossible. people should start using spaces, not a different set of letters
Yuudachi-kun

kai99 wrote:

kanjis are impossible. people should start using spaces, not a different set of letters
There are spaces between the words and if you can't see them you're illiterate.
kai99

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

kai99 wrote:

There are spaces between the words and if you can't see them you're illiterate.
correct me if im wrong, but as far as i know isnt kanji use to indicate the end of a word???
Yuudachi-kun
My point is that if you know how to read it's damn well easy to tell the ends of words.

Let me go find some random article and mark them.
Topic Starter
B1rd
A while ago you were complaining about how hard it was to read without kanji.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

What's the contradiction here?
Topic Starter
B1rd

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

B1rd wrote:

What's the contradiction here?
You can work it out.

I've done everything, completed studying, housework, exercise et cetera. Not much to report, still getting into the swing of using my new studying material.

Some changes though: change general exercise sessions to 12 minutes, and bow-related exercise sessions to 8 minutes. Now I also have to complete 1 page of my kanji course before I go on the computer every day, and this will not count for the obligatory 5 hours of study a week. Though I won't penalise myself if I don't do this, I just won't be able to go on the computer (since this is my #1 time sink)
Yuudachi-kun
It's hard and slow to read without Kanji because nouns and homonyms and particles all blur together without spacing

With Kanji, it's easy to tell where words begin and end and what the parts of speech are at more of a glance.

What's the contradiction
Topic Starter
B1rd
Finished all the tasks for this week, though I overshot the mark on Sunday by about 20 seconds or so, so I only got 4/5 hours done, so consequently I'll have to pay Khelly $50. Although including the kanji study I did do more than 5 hours. After today, I should have over 148 kanji characters memorised. I don't think that I've completed my general goal of 1 page (8 characters) a day, though I should be close to it and I reckon I'll get all of the 2300 done in less than a year.
DJ Enetro
Don't give up. That's the worst thing you can do
Topic Starter
B1rd
I wasn't planning on it.

Some other things to note, I've decided I might disconnect my internet, so it doesn't distract me and I can save some money, and use some of it to get a gym membership. Also regarding my fortnightly budget of $30 for takeout, I've decided that for every hour of overtime I can increase my budget for $5. That way I might be able to treat myself to a nice restaurant meal for working hard. Finished 2 hours of study today.
kai99
sounds like a plan.
Yuudachi-kun
The internet shouldn't distract you from study - it should be the largest tool of study giving you access to a large variety of Japanese media. (And by media I mean everything/stop thinking just anime people.)
DJ Enetro
TBH tho it can do both, but then again it's all up to you to decide what the internet does to you BC you control your thoughts and actions alone
Yuudachi-kun
I didn't expect to really get money, but b1rd is actually serious. Good luck
Topic Starter
B1rd
Did everything. Did last week too but I didn't write an update.

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

I didn't expect to really get money, but b1rd is actually serious. Good luck
Didn't you expect me to do what I said I was going to?
Yuudachi-kun
I did not, but it retroactively paid for the book I ordered.
abraker
Wow still ongoing. Good luck, b1rd!
Rwyta
頑張って。
Blitzfrog

abraker wrote:

Wow still ongoing. Good luck, b1rd!
DJ Enetro
We support you all the way ;)
Topic Starter
B1rd
Finished. I'm not gonna stop my internet connection or get a gym membership anytime soon. Though I'm going to make a schedule so I can study more consistently, I haven't been making much progress recently. I'm also going on a 10+ water fast starting now, I'll post updates on how that goes.
Topic Starter
B1rd
Update: I'm not gonna go on a fast today, I've realised I've still got quite a bit of food in the fridge that I don't want to waste.
Blitzfrog
So what are you studying atm?? I'm confused
Foxtrot

B1rd wrote:

Update: I'm not gonna go on a fast today, I've realised I've still got quite a bit of food in the fridge that I don't want to waste.
what did you cook then? I'm interested in that
Yuudachi-kun
Eat food
Topic Starter
B1rd

Foxtrot wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Beer.
Foxtrot

B1rd wrote:

Foxtrot wrote:

Beer.

Okay then. What kind of beer?
johnmedina999
Most likely this.

Foxtrot
Johnny.... that's whiskey.