forum

Offset Trouble (mania)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ce2
Hey guys.

I've been trying to get into stepmania to help myself improve, however there is one major obstacle in my way. I can't seem to calibrate the audio sync at all. It is still far off to the point where I can't play without awful accuracy. In Osu!mania, my offset is at -195ms (reason being my surround sound headset.) In osu, I have no issues whatsoever. Its perfect for me, however I can't get the offset I want in stepmania because the only way it lets me calibrate is with the "calibrate audio sync" option which doesnt let me specifically set the offset, and isn't accurate when I use it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sandy Hoey
So your asking for stepmania help in the osu forums
:thinking:
Topic Starter
Ce2

Sandy Hoey wrote:

So your asking for stepmania help in the osu forums
:thinking:

Because stepmania forums are either

1. unorganized
2. full of stuck up elitists
or
3. ancient crypts

Im asking here because there are tons of mania players who play stepmania as well.
Full Tablet
It's better to reduce your lag instead of using an offset (specially when it is so huge).

Both osu!mania and Stepmania only produce up to stereo sound, so any difference you hear when using surround audio on your headset is an artifact. It's better to just use stereo mode.

In Stepmania, use the "Calibrate Audio Sync" option and play the song with your eyes closed to set the audio offset (note that if your inputs are too imprecise, the game will decide not to adjust the offset this way. You should consistently get a low standard deviation in the inputs, aim to about 0.010 or less). Then adjust the visual offset so the time when the arrows touch the receptors matches with the time you have to press the keys as precisely as possible.
Veracion
My personal opinion is never use the offset D: just get used to Offset 0 and fuck this