forum

I feel like I'm playing osu! wrong.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dGeist
I'm still having trouble in getting at least 95% acc for any map (Mostly streams and stacks) and its taking a toll on me. I also have the issue of reacting faster in sight than rhythm hence poor acc jumps.( in green but close to blue in error bar). Tried changing my offset, helps a bit until streams come in , then its just a mash pit.(pun)

I now just mostly get exhausted playing 5* nowadays and it doesnt pay off (Ranking stalemate) due to the accuracy.

I've been spectating 10-30k ish players and I realise most of them singletap stacks and can perfect streams easily, which I still dont know how that works as I alternate stacks. I'm thinking of going back to 3* to learn singletapping. Do you think it will help or are there any other methods (playing old maps or very slow bpm then slowly increase the bpm)?

Sorry for ranting but I fear the game that I used to enjoy the most is now slowly becoming the game thats getting me more depressed than ever.
Thanks.
Pampilius
Single tapping above 200 or so bpm and then suddenly streaming is quite hard for me too, ill agree. But again, it can be done by the thing everything else can be done with, Practice.

Me, I'd suggest playing faster maps. Play maps you can play but not pass, and try to pass them. With that, you'll improve in terms of tapping (even if its alting) and aiming, thus finding 5* maps easier
Sandy Hoey
You don't even need to be playing 5 star maps. 4 star requires all of this skills and is a more ideal difficulty to practice them on if you don't have the basics of them down yet
Realmas
For your acc, go back to 4* maps and work on your accuracy, or even 3* AR8 maps if you're determined and if it doesn't annoy you. Focus on your acc and play a bit of every BPM, to be able to acc the stacks/bursts correctly. Aim for at least 95% at first. You can take a look at that too, by Rohulk, it might help you. After, that's work.

Uh, and dude, almost nobody singletap stacks, to alternate them is the best way to get a good acc on them. You can singletap them at low BPMs or if you have a decent speed, and even, that's not very useful when you can alternate.

There is no problems at all with alternating, most people even think it's better than singletapping, so you can keep your playstyle, simply work your accuracy and it should be fine.

Good luck, and if you feel that the game starts to depress you or anything else, take a break, or simply play your favorites songs to enjoy the game. ^^
ManuelOsuPlayer

dGeist wrote:

I'm still having trouble in getting at least 95% acc for any map (Mostly streams and stacks) and its taking a toll on me. I also have the issue of reacting faster in sight than rhythm hence poor acc jumps.( in green but close to blue in error bar). Tried changing my offset, helps a bit until streams come in , then its just a mash pit.(pun)

I now just mostly get exhausted playing 5* nowadays and it doesnt pay off (Ranking stalemate) due to the accuracy.

I've been spectating 10-30k ish players and I realise most of them singletap stacks and can perfect streams easily, which I still dont know how that works as I alternate stacks. I'm thinking of going back to 3* to learn singletapping. Do you think it will help or are there any other methods (playing old maps or very slow bpm then slowly increase the bpm)?

Sorry for ranting but I fear the game that I used to enjoy the most is now slowly becoming the game thats getting me more depressed than ever.
Thanks.
Play 2* streaming burst and triples maps. Do it alternating instead singletap, as a training. That will give you a lot of finger control. Also use relax to know how a triple sound when you can't x300 it.
Play stupidly hard stream maps 7-8* and do them to the end.
Once you get at 4-5* try to SS until the triples/streams part, it will be more probably you x300 that shit even without knowing at all.
Also play maps with tons of doubles and rythm changes. Technical maps are really good. Sometimes the streams sounds exactly like the song, try alternate more.
If you can't listen the streams at the song at anymap try to play lowAR and EASY mod 2-3* maps. This will force you to listen the song 100%.
I recommend you to play tower of heaven - another. It's a really easy map. Up the hitsounds to 100% and down music to 50%. It's just repeat what you're lisening.
Once you get good acc you can try the extra diff. When i play that long streams i feel like i'm moving the cursor with the keyboard tapping. So i can adapt my tap speed to make my cursor feet at actual circles. Focus eyes on 5° circle above your cursor can also help.
When you try an insane or extra without know how the triples/streams should sound you can check If the song have a 3* version. Usually use exact rythm at triples. Should be easy to do there.
It's better just reading them but in order to learn hit sounds and approach circles help a lot.
I'll let you the maps what i find good for play streams: (I don't recomend you to try learn how to stream using "stream practice map" they are for practice, not for learn.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/557703?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1033154?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/986233
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/780182?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/246397
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1124841&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/38604
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/309881
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/77231?m=0

Stamina: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/241792
You should be able to pass this one and hold big combos once you know how to stream.

BPM changes reading and finger control: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/210731

Thats how I did learn and i keep learning to stream. I learn finger control at 2* maps. Rythm/reading 4* maps. Fingers cordination 5* and stamina playing typical stream practice maps and stupidly hard unplayable maps like some 7* maps.

Btw some players have a lot of diferents technics to play diferent streams.
You can find vídeos searching on youtube about this and good stream guides. Must watch. Or you can find your own ways to stream.

Luck and play SONGS what you like streaming and 3* MAPS with bad acc trying to play them properly. Also use your eyes.
ManuelOsuPlayer

dGeist wrote:

Thanks.
Btw i was also an alternate player. I change to singletap in order to follow better the rythm. Also when i'm into a highest bpm map where i can't single tap because stamina y finish the spaced jumps/streams using both fingers withot notice.
You can learn single tap and do it only at jumps for example.
Topic Starter
dGeist

Pr3dator-kun wrote:

Me, I'd suggest playing faster maps. Play maps you can play but not pass, and try to pass them. With that, you'll improve in terms of tapping (even if its alting) and aiming, thus finding 5* maps easier
Well, the thing is,I have been doing this for the whole time(playing technicals) As a result, my raw aim is I would say really good(now up to 6.5* map passing capability when fresh) but my rhythmic accuracy is very bad. Simplified, I can hit the circles but not exactly at the right rhythm for some reason.
Endaris
Never try to compensate your shit accuracy through offset if you ever plan to play osu! as a rhythmgame.
Alternating has nothing to do with it.
Rifdi
you gotta understand the song, to be honest. Since osu is a rhythm/music based game, you don't need to sweat over the offset too much (unless its obviously off the beat). Listen to the song more, then tap to it. changing the offset also helps but make sure to set the offset to how quick you respond to the beat, which means you set the offset to what you hear, and not what you see, if that makes any sense.

Listen carefully to the beat or any other part that might suggest a stream will be coming or any other points of information inside the song. when you're in the middle of the song and you feel very tense (its kinda hard to come to realization at this kind of time, but please try), calm yourself down. process the song's beat and tempo. also remember that when you came across a series of jumps (especially the ones that are REALLY far):

What gets faster is your aim, not your tap. Your tap stays consistent.

its sounds REALLY obvious and im aware of it, but when you are REALLY into a song, you sometimes miss these kinds of basic stuff, which throws your play way off and you ended up with a bad acc and a bad mood.

so try to calm yourself down ;)
Topic Starter
dGeist

Realmas wrote:

For your acc, go back to 4* maps and work on your accuracy, or even 3* AR8 maps if you're determined and if it doesn't annoy you. Focus on your acc and play a bit of every BPM, to be able to acc the stacks/bursts correctly. Aim for at least 95% at first. You can take a look at that too, by Rohulk, it might help you. After, that's work.^^
Thanks a lot! :) It may help in my experimenting.
I am also experimenting with 3-4*HR maps as an attempt to improve my accuracy(more like a get good acc or die method).
Not sure if it will be effective tho?

Realmas wrote:

Uh, and dude, almost nobody singletap stacks, to alternate them is the best way to get a good acc on them. You can singletap them at low BPMs or if you have a decent speed, and even, that's not very useful when you can alternate.
I am not sure we are in the right terminology and I may need to apologise for that.
A good example of what I call 'stacks' are ones in this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/892780&m=0 (Slayed's Insane in the earlier half before the break). I spectate a lot of people able to singletap these type of stacks' easily, hence the question of whether I'm supposed to singletap them in the first place.
Endaris
Playing HR does not improve your accuracy if it is bad in the first place. You most likely don't have a problem with accuracy but a problem with reading. HR reduces the reading difficulty and is of no use at all when it comes to developing a sense for rhythm.
Hiro-Senpai
Oh boy the op has even worse problems than i thought
I dont want to be mean and i am sorry to say it but your acc is not even bad, it is trash.

When i looked through your top 100 scores list i never saw a moment where maps had good acc.
Which makes me thinking that your acc problem was present from the very beginning of your osu carrer.

I am afraid that you just learned to play this game this way without paying attention to acc at all
What i would recommend to you is to go back to 4* range maps. Maps that have ar9 bcuz that is the ar your gonna need the most while playing 5 star maps
Even go back to like 4.1* etc. If you learn how to consistently achieve high acc on such maps you should have better result on 5* maps

But i am amazed really
Ayesha Altugle
Here's some advice

1. Use a decent keyboard
  2. Play some easier map
  3. Train yourself to stream slowly at first and maintain good acc (96 would be a good starting point but 98 is recommended) then move up by increments of 5 bpm
  4. Don't try to learn to play high ar especially at your current level since that would fuck up your readability. And also to prevent yourself to play whack-a-mole simulator
  5. Learn to rely on rhythm of the map, rather than on approach circle
Braixen-Desu

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I dont want to be mean and i am sorry to say it but your acc is not even bad, it is trash.

Should've seen my acc around 150k range, I had like 76% acc.

Don't play 5* maps, those things will annihilate your accuracy when you first start (at least for me). Play low 4* maps instead with streams.
Also, streaming is about the bpm or rhythm of the song. If it's 240 bpm, mash the living hell out of your keyboard. With 170, take it kind of slow. If you need to know what exact speed you should stream on a song, just use auto and look how either fast or slow you have to stream.
Topic Starter
dGeist

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

Oh boy the op has even worse problems than i thought

When i looked through your top 100 scores list i never saw a moment where maps had good acc.
Which makes me thinking that your acc problem was present from the very beginning of your osu carrer.

I am afraid that you just learned to play this game this way without paying attention to acc at all
What i would recommend to you is to go back to 4* range maps. Maps that have ar9 bcuz that is the ar your gonna need the most while playing 5 star maps
Even go back to like 4.1* etc. If you learn how to consistently achieve high acc on such maps you should have better result on 5* maps

But i am amazed really
Well, if my acc wasn't trash, I wouldnt be here in the first place. In fact, I had a much worse acc before now (85.93% at 50k):?
Do note that some of the scores are failed fc attempts. Although ,it is true that my acc is not as good as you guys.
To get the idea of what type of 4* map I normally play; a few from my collection: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/322481 or https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1005745&m=0
I guess its time for me to search for the easier maps now (recent ones I get seem to be technical-like for some reason)
Topic Starter
dGeist

Shizuku- wrote:

[*]Use a decent keyboard
I am currently using an Apex m800 (not sure of effectiveness (need some force to tap) but much better than previous kb (Logitech K400))
Hiro-Senpai
It is not really about the model of the keyboard. Important thing is if it is mechanical or not
Mechanical has advantage over old rubberdome. Easier to play higher bpm but it is definetly possible to do with rubberdome.

Well if i would compare my osu life to yours i never was in a situation were my overall acc was 90% i always had around 97-98%
But everyone is different. I think you got anwsers already for what to do c:
Endaris
The keyboard is definitely not the problem.
Hone your reading skills. Playing AR7 with Hidden is a healthy praxis to get over severe "reacting to circlespawn" problems.
ManuelOsuPlayer
To improve your acc play 1* songs and 2*-4* using easy mod. This will force you to listen the music yes or yes.

A time ago i start to spam only HR. After a couple months i couldn't play nomod anymore or even read 3* songs when i could SS some 4* before start spaming the mod.
My acc pass from sigthread 4* 95-98% to 80-87%.
This was because i forced myself into AR10 and make me tap as fast as posible because my reaction time and reading was pretty bad to start play AR10. And because i start to react to approach rate circles instead of music. I lost the hability to fc anything even easy 3'00* songs.

After a long trying to recover my reading and improving my acc without any progress i start to SS from 1* to 2'5* all the maps what i had. Then i understand how to acc after play low AR and start to play 2-4* using Easy mod. Also i move the global offset and the local offset 200 times to understand well how it makes me play. I start to back to play AR10 but this time i did it using offset to have more reaction time in way to learning. Now i can pass a lot of 4-5* using HR without offset having 89-92% acc Low acc mostly by reading speed misses, focus and low bpm streams.
Rigth now i can up any of my old scores and having higher acc. Also i can play properly AR10 and move to any lower AR without drop acc on it.
Maybe If you do the same your acc will improve.
1-2* maps without mods aren't that boring how can you think.
I did this in a few days.

If you up a replay from a 4* song what you like maybe we can help you much more. You should check If you're hitting to early or to late. And If it's because poor reading/reading speed, rythm sense, circles density, input lag, offset, bpm, skin with retarded hitsounds, bad sound speakers, play where are a lot of noises without use headset, patterns bad learned like triples or doubles, etc. Could be a lot of reassons to acc bad, just share a replay and we can know why your acc it's low.

At some songs there are circles where don't sound music, or what don't follow any logical rythm like the first circle of a lot of maps where you don't know when the song start, so you have to learn to tap using approach circles what isn't good to keep the rythm. Thats why a lot of good players don't even read that circles and make shit misses at easier circles at the start/end of the songs. What they do it's memorice those circles or time them making random rythms using the keyboard after spins or when it's a lot of space into slow jumps, or also when the song don't even start and there is the skip button, they start to tap to the song rythm as a warm up and to get into the song rythm well. Or sing while playing.
KupcaH

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

To improve your acc play 1* songs and 2*-4* using easy mod. This will force you to listen the music yes or yes.
Better play low bpm AR 8 and OD 8 3-4* maps. I think that will help more.
show more