forum

How much time per day should one play to master the game?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Jalatiphra
its important to practice every day. or at least on a regular basis. that way you dont have to re-learn things

in my oppinion it doesnt matter if you play one or five hours a day....
but play regularly and at least an hour or more.

i dont like to talk in hours play, but in map plays/tries ( your personal play counter)

you should be able to do hard maps after about 500 to 1500 plays ( of course only if you dont retry after 10 seconds all the time :-) )

you can rush insane maps as soon as you have understanding of the following:

bpm and what it means in osu ,
fluent reading of maps -> no more "looking" where you need to go next.. if you flow with the map, you most likely can do it on insane difficulty too. -> if you play hardmaps S on first try you have completed the most frustrating step of the learning curve ;)

that took me about 5000 plays

the rest ist learning to aim, jump and stream.
-> you can allways get better at that, even after 100000 plays.
example: whereas i can read the jaketey sax without problems (~250 bpm if i remember) my mousehand cant really keep up, but thats hopefully to change:)
Meowcenaries

those wrote:

The instant you can accurately answer that question, you've become a pro.
I'mma go with this guy
Wishy
From my experience, when I quitted osu! because I started playing L2 (again...) I used to play just an hour or two tops every 3 or 4 days, it was quite amazing how I improved by not playing... if you want to become a pro FAST then you gonna have to play A LOT like 5 or 6 hours a day of challenging stuff, but you can get good by playing like 1 hour per day. All you got to do is avoid playing shit or rankwhoring, with this I mean DON'T GO RANKING EASY SONGS WITH EVERY MOD or keep playing maps you can easily FC to get a higher overall rank by getting easy ranked score, that's useless because:

Some people says (got friends saying this) that playing normal maps with many mods makes them Insane, that's wrong, low diff. maps don't have complicated patterns or streams, even with every mod they are still easy maps. And then by playing maps you can easily FC you are not challenging yourself, and since that's all you need to do...
07 Ghost
It's a difficult question to answer, because it differs between people. Generally playing 5 days in a row for around 1-4 hours will help. But after that, it's not a bad idea to take a break, I mean you're on the computer for a very long period of time. For me, taking a day or two of no Osu! has actually helped me gotten better. But like I said, it differs between people.
CXu
Play first, think later. You'll be pro in no time.
Avedas
Just keep challenging yourself more and more. One day you may notice a bunch of people calling you pro and there you go.
Topic Starter
CommanderHana
Thanks, everyone. It was a very warm response: 23 replies in 1 day! I'll try harder!
Neruell
25/7 is the correct answer :p
Jalatiphra
where you get that extra hour? i need that!
Neruell

Jalatiphra wrote:

where you get that extra hour? i need that!
I am from mars, there is the day approx 40 mins longer than here on earth :p
twistedice
It is also important to play maps that test your current skill. If you are still having a tough time FCing light Insane maps, do not go back to playing Hard, just keep at it. If you are comfortable with 150 bpm, start challenging yourself and play 170-180 bpm maps. If you aren't good at streaming, look for maps with a decent amount of mini-streams (not the ones with long 5 second streams). Jumps have more to do with knowing the song's rhythm, your reflexes and the mapper's style.

When I first started playing osu, I probably played 4-6 hours every day. Nowadays I only play 1-2 hours every other day or so.
dNextGen
pushing yourself too much to become a pro isnt a good idea i guess
Daru
Just have fun. :)

Play as much as you like to without getting frustrated or bored, and just keep challenging yourself with harder maps.
Krzysiek
I remember hearing that to be a champion in some sports (e-sports included) you'd need to practice overall over 10000 hours. osu! isn't that competitive so 5000 hours will do.
-Soba-
iono I always feel like I get a lot better after taking short breaks from osu :s
-Athena-
I played 12~14 hours a day 2 months ago, then te holidays ended
Shiro
There's no such thing as an answer to this question. It all depends on your own pace. Some people learn faster than others and will need less time per day to become as good. Just play as much as you want and have fun, you will improve if you keep challenging yourself.
Most of the time you won't see yourself improving at all. Choose a few very hard maps which you can barely pass and play some of them regularly (like every month or so), you will reliaze that you did improve (and probably a lot) without knowing it.
RaneFire
Play frequently, not necessarily a lot per day, the human brain does a lot of its recovery and "internal programming" when asleep. So you will find yourself getting better over time regardless. Just make sure you are practising "correctly."

I'm still learning but mashing buttons on insanes I couldn't play was pretty detrimental to my accuracy for a long time, although I did gain some finger speed... everything in balance I guess.
kriers

RaneFire wrote:

Play frequently, not necessarily a lot per day, the human brain does a lot of its recovery and "internal programming" when asleep. So you will find yourself getting better over time regardless. Just make sure you are practising "correctly."

I'm still learning but mashing buttons on insanes I couldn't play was pretty detrimental to my accuracy for a long time, although I did gain some finger speed... everything in balance I guess.
wow... spot on there
M i l o t i c
Weak up at 1:00pm get a shower,then get something to eat. Go to osu forums for a bit. Start play osu at 3:00pm.Have dinner and rest at
7:00 pm to 8:00pm.Then start playing osu into 3:00am, then go to sleep get ready for the next day.
This give you 11hours to play osu per day.
Salvage
Play, whatever you want .. you can get better playing anything, but in different ways .. if you play all insane maps and stuff you'll get a shitty accuracy but you'll be able to spam in higher bpm's and stuff, but if you start playing your difficulty cap maps, going slowwwwwwly, you'll end up with a good accuracy but not with a really high speed, but i think you can acchieve both if you do the slow part first and the other one after.
hinamizawan
Play endlessly
loqueses57
just play for fun xD
Mythras
at first it sucks because you can't beat anything, it gets more fun as you get better, id aim for at least 500 plays per month, preferably 2k+ if you want to improve faster.
Moriya Suwako
For me,the average play time is 1 hour per day..
G0r
I wouldn't call myself a pro, and I actually think I'm still pretty bad, but I play an average of around 4000 games a month (I have no life). I am a pretty slow learner at most things, so I feel like the amount of time I've put into this game has helped me a lot with getting good at it. I am certain that I never would have put so much time into it, if I didn't just love playing. When I first started playing I was terrible. I played the hardest difficulties that I could to get better, and I played them constantly. Some nights I would do nothing but play Osu, because I wanted to be able to pass this map, or that map. In the end, I think that I definitely improved faster because of the number of plays that I put in, but I could see how someone who was more naturally able to play might be able to improve more quickly than I did with less work. It's all a matter of how you learn, and how much you want to keep trying, in my opinion.
Sonez_old

Still feel like I'm not learning fast enough.
G0r
Apparently you've only been playing for three months. Even with around 7500 plays, you're going to need more time, probably. You improved a hell of a lot faster than I did, though! :D Hehe.
Anzo
You need more time to master the game, (also depends on the peripheral that you use)

And I guess it's not always on the time you spend playing, you also need to go further, you need to play harder beatmaps..
But don't try forcing yourself too much...
dNextGen
1 -2 hour

anything more than that is bad,really
show more