forum

[osu!std] Asia Region Tournament Idea?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nyuumie
So not too long ago I started to wonder why Asia doesn't have a regional tournament similar to NAT or other regional tournaments. It honestly has me kinda curious of why it hasn't been already done, given the amount of high ranked osu!std players Asia has along with the advantages such a tournament would create, such as providing owc countries another platform to assist with picking tournament-performing team participants.

Recently I and some osu! friends have found the motivation to possibly kickstart the first edition of such a tournament (meaning there would be subsequent yearly editions), however as you might guess, organizing a credibly run regional tournament involving Asia isn't the most simple undertaking.

Which is why I've posted this [interest] thread (we couldn't have been the only ones that have thought of this before, right?).

Such a tournament would somewhat obviously require an extent of cooperation and coordination from parts of the community, so we're not only looking for folks (preferably experienced with this sort of stuff) that are interested in helping us organize this (such as with refereeing or other aspects), but also any feedback/ideas or thoughts in this thread.

While most of this is subject to change, and the dates are not at all finalized, here are some key points we've come up with so far.
  1. The tournament would consistent of 32 players. Meaning the maximum amount of signups we'd accept would be 32.
  2. The PP cutoff would be roughly 5k (?)
  3. The tournament would be held in June 2017 (?)
  4. The tournament would be single elimination.
  5. Scorev1 would be used.
(P.S. Me and some of my fellow osu! players looking to organize the above, are also organizers of the recently successfully concluded osu!Paradigm tournament.)
Stupid Idiot
Asians only farm pp and probably ignores the community due to the incapability to speak fluent English. I've seen most of them (apart from SEA countries) refuse to speak English, although it was clear that they understood the language itself. There was a Philippines only tournament which is currently open for registration (as of this comment), and a Singapore-Malaysia tournament some time ago.

As an Asian, I'd generally feel more comfortable speaking with my own race(especially with mic), as there wouldn't be much variation in accent between us. Last but not least, Asians typically want to be the best(yes, seriously, including me), hence the fear of losing/failure in the creation of a new tournament somewhat makes us reconsider. Last but not least, timezone issues with the West (hence we can't join many tournaments D:)

Hope that helped a little on understanding Asians :D

(And yes, if you need a hand, I'd be happy to help)
nya10
There's already Asia regional tournament which held annually such as Malaysia tournament I believe, Indonesian one, I think Phillippines did start one too.

Also there's osu! Korean Tournament which held annually, but it's only posted on their own language sub-forum. There was also osu! Japan tournament before I believe, I ever see one too in their subforum. Also before osu! Chinese Tournament was exist, until Prophet starts to expand it globally. So it's not like Asian tournament is not exist at all. They exist, but not mainly in this sub-forum

Also it's not that all Asian only play for pp. It's still depends on the person.
Makan1

Espalza wrote:

Asians only farm pp and probably ignores the community due to the incapability to speak fluent English. I've seen most of them (apart from SEA countries) refuse to speak English, although it was clear that they understood the language itself. There was a Philippines only tournament which is currently open for registration (as of this comment), and a Singapore-Malaysia tournament some time ago.

As an Asian, I'd generally feel more comfortable speaking with my own race(especially with mic), as there wouldn't be much variation in accent between us. Last but not least, Asians typically want to be the best(yes, seriously, including me), hence the fear of losing/failure in the creation of a new tournament somewhat makes us reconsider. Last but not least, timezone issues with the West (hence we can't join many tournaments D:)

This is the absolute worst argument I have ever heard like nothing you say makes sense at all. Like it is so nonsensical what even.
Unorothox

Espalza wrote:

>Asians only farm pp

im sorry wat?
zhev

Espalza wrote:

wat
Stupid Idiot

UnoRothox_RBLX wrote:

>Asians only farm pp
im sorry wat?

Makan1 wrote:

This is the absolute worst argument I have ever heard like nothing you say makes sense at all. Like it is so nonsensical what even.

Please ignore the pp farm part lol that wasn't serious (note that I'm not blaming you people for misunderstanding, as I should've worded that a bit better). But still, Asians that I've met so far are unlikely to communicate even within tournament matches. There was a 2v2 match I've reffed where the Chinese let his/her American teammate do all the talking. I'm just speaking from experience, and please do correct me on my mistakes, and debate me and tell me where I'm wrong instead of simply saying its a bad argument and go off.

Yes, everyone has a different experience on a certain things, I'm only speaking on mine and mine experience only, in which the environment I live in is relatively competitive. If I've offended/triggered anyone of you, I apologise

Seriously though, aside from the PP farm part, what else is off the mark?
Zac-
I want to join haha i can't be doing referee and stuff because after june i have a volleyball competition so if you do set one up let me be the first player to join :)
Topic Starter
Nyuumie
Hmm. Though this thread did get derailed slightly, I'd say I appreciate the responses. :D

On the tournament idea front, while I don't think me or my possible co-organizers are scraping the idea of having this sort of tournament, it's definitely not happening this year.
Too little time to be around from me and some other key organizers, with lack of replacements/manpower means it sounds more logical that we're better off not attempting it just yet versus putting an established tournament schedule in jeopardy.

Doesn't mean we're never open to ideas though!

Feel free to message me on the forum or Discord (________#8888) (or join the osu!Asia server) if you'd like to help/have concrete ideas you could assist us with tackling things for say, a tournament possibly next year.
Xinnoh
plz enjoy game is completely anti-pp, not all asians are that bad

also singapore has a sightread tournament, most countries have their own little thing already
Kondou-Shinichi
not all asian are from china
snappyguy
I actually have an idea. I have hosted my 1st tourney, and still ongoing. For what I have learned, Asia is pretty weird. I'm Asian and Time Zones are pretty different from each country in Asia. So I would recommend that you should host it around next 2 months and start the registrations next month.
_Meep_
we are all gya
Raveille
Well, I currently have a SEA League tournament coming up after MWC 4K 2017, but it's for mania only.

You are free to take a look at it.