forum

Thinking about Changing your Username? Read this!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Esupanitix

Vext wrote:

Under which category do "boobs" and "E-Hooker" fall under?
Added "DO NOT Use names that are just downright perverted".
Yakety Saxer
Nice guide, now excuse me while I change my name to

'B1ue p3ppY dr4g0|\|fan9999hookerboobslulzsecgorenuclearexplosion8=D'

Awww too many characters, BACK TO THE POOTING DRAWING BOARD
-----
._.

Edit: Just added a sentence here to support my statement

Edit2: nvm
Hika
I'm still laughing at this.
Kitsunemimi
I'd agree that most of these tips are good. Actually I'd also advise against changing to something that's.. well... different from your original name, unless you really want to, you're fully ready, and some of your friends understand you. The reason for this is, no matter how well people know and love you (excluding those you may actually discuss this major name change with), you'll receive quite a bit of negative feedback, even if your name is totally more awesome than it used to be. It's this sort of psychological tendency that's unavoidable, people will tend to gain a bond to a short 10-letter string, and when you overwrite that string completely with a totally different set of letters, they don't react very nicely. I don't really know if I'm all correct with this, as I've only changed names once <_<, but it's always something to look out for.

tl;dr make sure everyone is okay with your name change before you do it

Also,

Blue Dragon wrote:

Esupanitix wrote:

DO NOT

1. Use numbers in your name; it's typical and unoriginal.
  2. Use terms in your name that can be used as derogatory against you; I can guarantee it will end badly if you use it.
  3. Use other people's usernames, replacing a letter or two with 1337 (Leet) symbols; Characters and numbers (|-| = H, |\| = N), because that's going to be really stupid; You ARE going to regret putting your name as "Blu3 Dr4g0n" or "p3ppy".
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/955387
I laughed so hard.
awp

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Actually I'd also advise against changing to something that's.. well... different from your original name, unless you really want to, you're fully ready, and some of your friends understand you.
If you're well known, you will confuse and anger people
If you aren't well known, nobody will recognize you and will be angry if you expect them to know who you are

It's a lose/lose situation, really
whymeman
What would also suck with a name change is that if you're the only original version and you change it. There is a good chance someone is going to take your previous name and then you won't be able to go back (if you REALLY screw it up). Just my thoughts on it.
Rantai
I was just wondering.

If your 'friends' get angry over a name change, would you really consider them your friends?

Just seems like such a trivial thing to get angry about.
Shohei Ohtani
Unless you change your name to Justin Bieber. Then you are legend.
Ekaru

awp wrote:

If you're well known, you will confuse and anger people
I can confirm this. I tried to hide by changing my username. Didn't quite work; they found out somehow. So then I gave up and used IRC with "Ekaru" as my user name until the mass name rollback occurred (which will probably never happen ever again). Now all is well.

So yes, I highly recommend thinking things through first. I recommend just removing excess crap from your name or giving it good capitalization, unless it's like Weegeevsweegee or some crap like that. I approve of this thread.
07 Ghost
Good ideas and info. I was thinking of changing my name, but I guess I don't really need to.
Daru
You forgot to mention how awesome 4-letter names are!
yeahyeahyeahhh

"Ok.'
Hika

Daru wrote:

You forgot to mention how awesome 4-letter names are!
THIS.
Kitsunemimi

Rantai wrote:

I was just wondering.

If your 'friends' get angry over a name change, would you really consider them your friends?

Just seems like such a trivial thing to get angry about.

Kitsunemimi wrote:

It's this sort of psychological tendency that's unavoidable, people will tend to gain a bond to a short 10-letter string, and when you overwrite that string completely with a totally different set of letters, they don't react very nicely.
It's one of those things that just happen/inevitable.

I was only referring to temporarily having people making rude comments about the name change, if it was permanent then the name change system would never be used <_<
Lilac
Even though I can't talk since minimal crap was pulled on to me when I changed my name. (I think only a few people such as Larto, ztrot and Rolled got irked at me when I changed it) It really is a thing to say, like Rantai, whether the friends who get angry at you are really your friends.

And even with people who aren't, it's just a matter of a fact that if you're happy with it. A rollback is only going to do so much. I am still proud of my name change and do not regret my decision at all.
Equivalent_old
I love my username <3
Kyonko Hizara
I approve of this thread
Crakila
I was considering changing my name to just 'Padraig' but I would think alot of people would get confused since people on osu! see me as Vamp
Yuzeyun

Esupanitix wrote:

Simply type a randomly picked name and consider it your last name.
Whaddyamean by that ?

Oh well that's a good topic, but I'm wondering if people who think about it will see this thread. imo it deserves a sticky. *runs*
boat
thought that what you mentioned was really self explanatory

if you don't realize that your nick looks pants on head retarded then it fits you just perfectly

(inb4 "sais the one with the name failboat". I am aware of that my name is a meme, albeit had it for ages so i don't see why i should bother changing. Haven't seen all too many people going by the same nick anyhow

i would obviously change it if i could (or actually gave a shit))
Mashley
Mashley's superior guide
  1. Do not change your name to a japanes-y sonding series of random syllables with no relation to your previous name. That is fucking annoying.
Jarby
Esupanitix sure is a mouthful of a name, but it's an improvement. 6/10.
Shellghost

Esupanitix wrote:

like Weegee or Courage Wolf or Awesomeface or FFFFUUUUUU; it turned out horrible for me and I suffered from it for 729 days.
You...

You thought people made fun of you because of your name?
Quaraezha
ohai.
Cuddlebun

Shellghost wrote:

Esupanitix wrote:

like Weegee or Courage Wolf or Awesomeface or FFFFUUUUUU; it turned out horrible for me and I suffered from it for 729 days.
You...

Corin
Thread should be stickied.

Gratz OP o/
Topic Starter
Esupanitix

Shellghost wrote:

Esupanitix wrote:

You...

Some did. Honestly, it was more along the lines of annoyance in general. Whenever I'd talk in the chat, some new guy would say "WEEGEE VS WEEGEE OMG THE WORLD WILL END".
GladiOol
Well, I only made fun of you because you told me you had an IQ higher than Einstein.
Ekaru

GladiOol wrote:

Well, I only made fun of you because you told me you had an IQ higher than Einstein.
Personally, while I never made fun of him, I laughed at him silently because of his amazing youtube video. ^_^

But back on topic. I agree with Mashley, kinda. That gets so annoying.
Soaprman

Esupanitix wrote:

I suffered from it for 729 days.
This'd be my favorite line in that post. The whole post is great though!
Cuddlebun
I think everyone pretty much knew the reason people made fun of you, your username just exemplified it.
Yuzeyun
@S-Panitix (Esu = S in japanese lol) I must admit that I was like "WUT" when you changed your name :/

Also almost two years I must admit that being laughed at because of your nick is really annoying. It's not that I experienced that but with my IRL name and a friend's being almost the same, I went from "lolrofl" to "fnrozeugfhziufhoifhzeoi". :/
Waryas
that post gave me cancer
Topic Starter
Esupanitix

JesusYamato wrote:

that post gave me cancer
I'm glad it did.
EpicFailure
I will personally fly to where you live by airplane
A Spearow would be better.

I sure this would make life more simple for us though. :D
Hika

I love you. sahjdghd
Kitsunemimi

Esupanitix wrote:

For the love of fuck, PLEASE do not use names that are composed fully of Hiragana/Katakana. As Mashley stated on Page 3, it is annoying as fuck.
Romaji*

And it's not annoying as fuck, it's the same as having a name in any other language. You wouldn't bitch at someone who has a language preference for their name would you?

Even if you're addressing the weeaboos who originally didn't have Japanese names, people can have their own choices. Having a name with romaji isn't annoying/offensive to the general public, only a range of people, therefore I think this is a bad suggestion.
hinamizawan
LOLOL wish my nick was in kanji and not shit romanized japanese name.
GladiOol
My nick is in the sexiest language on the planet.

U JELLY?!
show more