How much Hertz does your monitor have?

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Makishima S-
ithgyu
updoot monitor
Sayorie
Get a good graphics card first (unless you already have, like a 1060 or better) to get the most out of that 144hz. You don't want to just buy one for osu! and struggle to maintain even 60 on AAA games. I bet if you have money to easily buy a 144hz then you have too for a top-end GPU.

if you only want to get that 144hz strictly for osu! hoping to get that AR11 skillz then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yoppi
Interesting question, because I never really thought about refresh rate ever being that relevant for this game (although a higher refresh rate is always beneficial for anything).

That being said, I own a 144Hz monitor.

Initially bought it for CS:GO and Overwatch; haven't tried playing osu! on my 60Hz monitor and probably never will. 8-)
7ambda
144 won't help if you're not gonna play HR.
Kyrari
I don't think it's gonna help you play this game at all unless you're going to play maps with AR higher than AR9 DT 11
Runiel
60hz because i'm a cheapskate
ithgyu

F1r3tar wrote:

144 won't help if you're not gonna play HR.
how would you know. I for one strongly disagree with that
B1rd
it doesn't help much but it's pretty
N0thingSpecial
Yes cause you'll use the money on weed anyways
Comfy Slippers
Once you go 144hz, you never go back. Worth every penny.
dung eater
160 made in 2005
Infevo
144hz.

at this point I would consider buying a 240hz screen (Asus Rog Swift/Benq Zowie) though.
Sayorie

Infevo wrote:

144hz.

at this point I would consider buying a 240hz screen (Asus Rog Swift/Benq Zowie) though.
Diminishing returns above 144hz. Also you would need a 1080 SLI to play most games with eye candy, unless you wanna play them on really low settings. I suggest just buying a 144hz monitor with ULMB/Lightboost as it reduces motion blur and gives more smoothness for a lesser price and reasonable hardware requirements. http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vsLB/
Infevo

Sayorie wrote:

Infevo wrote:

144hz.

Diminishing returns above 144hz. Also you would need a 1080 SLI to play most games with eye candy, unless you wanna play them on really low settings. I suggest just buying a 144hz monitor with ULMB/Lightboost as it reduces motion blur and gives more smoothness for a lesser price and reasonable hardware requirements. http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vsLB/
Above 144hz diminishing returns? In what regard? And why 144hz and not 143hz, 100hz or 200hz? Who came up with this rule that the "returns diminish" after exactly 144hz. The math is 96hz more which is about 66% more frames/more smoothness compared to 144hz. Sounds pretty linear to me.

And I don't know why you would need 1080 sli for osu! to reach 240fps... couldn't care less about other games. but even then, it would be much more about the processor than the gpu.
Sayorie
What I mean by diminishing returns is that, the subjective measure of how smoother it looks from 60hz to 144hz is significantly greater than from 144hz to 240hz. 66% more frames doesn't mean 66% more smoothness. Imagine adding 20 more frames from 20fps to 40 fps than 120fps to 144fps. The former has a more drastic change.

Also buying a 240hz screen only for osu! is just too extravagant, but hey, I won't stop you.
Infevo
Maybe the subjective perception of smoothness jumping from 60 to 144hz is higher because the leap is higher in % than from 144 to 240? I couldn't care less about your individual perception btw. I know that I notice a significant difference between 144 and 240. That's all what I really care about.

Again, I don't quite get what you're talking about. The 1080ti just came out and is stronger than a titan. And there are plenty of competitive games that aren't complex to render but you can go way higher than 300fps on a mediocre system with a 2-3 year old gpu...
Also keep in mind that money isn't an issue for many people. Just think of all the people who bury several thousand bucks on a Mac or a new 4k setup. What is another $400-500 then? And it is not like you can't use that screen in 3-5 years anymore once consumer gfx run witcher 3 @ 300fps...
Sayorie
You have a few false facts there, but it seems that you never understand what I'm saying. Go ahead and buy your monitor.
TakuMii
180Hz

CRT master race

(truth be told, even at 180Hz I can still perceive individual frames, so I would definitely notice a benefit at higher refresh rates than this)
Topic Starter
Alessio_Scarlet

Sayorie wrote:

Get a good graphics card first (unless you already have, like a 1060 or better) to get the most out of that 144hz. You don't want to just buy one for osu! and struggle to maintain even 60 on AAA games. I bet if you have money to easily buy a 144hz then you have too for a top-end GPU.

if you only want to get that 144hz strictly for osu! hoping to get that AR11 skillz then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Got a Gigabyte gtx 1070, so I'm ok with the GPU
I think I will buy a 144hz monitor soon, thank you all guys

(semi off-topic: are we talking about 1920x1080 resolution monitors, am I right? I think that would be kinda bad to play with a 4k monitor)
Sayorie

ZzAlessiozZ wrote:

Got a Gigabyte gtx 1070, so I'm ok with the GPU
I think I will buy a 144hz monitor soon, thank you all guys

(semi off-topic: are we talking about 1920x1080 resolution monitors, am I right? I think that would be kinda bad to play with a 4k monitor)
That's nice. Remember to always check the quality of any monitor you buy, and check for dead pixels, backlight leakage, wobbly stand, etc. Good luck.
Attenox
60Hz FeelsBadMan
NixXSkate
60Hz pleb checking in, 144Hz does help for the higher AR ranges (above 10). I feel like at your rank, you wouldn't really appreciate as much though (although the difference would still be quite noticeable). If you get good at osu! and/or play fps games, it's worth the investment.
deidarabochi

Infevo wrote:

And why 144hz and not 143hz, 100hz or 200hz?
because monitors are usually found 144hz, you dont find 143hz monitors on the market lmao
Hiro-Senpai
And here am i with my pleb 60hz screen